Forum > Oregon Kayak Fishing

Brad's Cut Plug Rigging for the ocean?

(1/5) > >>

Cosmo:
Hello Everyone,

After hearing about the successes of Brad's Cut Plugs for Coho and Chinook in the ocean, I purchased my first couple to use this weekend.  I understand that they can be only rigged for the ocean with two single point, barbless hooks.  That much I understand.  However, on Brad's website, YouTube, and the web, I've seen so many options to rig them up and it's a bit confusing on what's the best way for our local salmon. 

I will be trolling  behind a triangle or Konezone flasher.

I've seen the following rig options:

- No beads, both hooks trailing
- One Bead, back hook trailing
- 3 beads
- 5 beads
- 5 tapered beads
- no beads, with the front hook slipped under the rubber band,
- Rubber band in the egg loop
- one bead and a tube

Any thoughts on which setups are better for our waters?

Thanks for the help.

AndyFishes:
Following. I'm up North but have rigged all of mine with the rubber band in the egg loop and one trailing hook. Limited experience, but I caught one last year and it was hooked perfectly on the trailing hook.

I'm also curious if any of you have tried casting these from shore (the minis)? I tried last year and had a few hits, but also problems w/ line twist (even with bead chains)...

Cosmo:
I tried the beads and the no beads and settled on the no beads, as it looked like the hooks sit better against the underside of the bait.  I also threaded the line through the bottom hole and slid the hook under the rubber band.

Does this look right?  Any suggestions?

bsteves:
Using the rubber band to hold the hook is new to me.  As far as I know, that rubber band is designed to just keep the bait closed.

I do the second from the top on the right in this figure.

Remember, if you're fishing in the ocean the treble hook options violate the "no more than two single barbless hooks" reg for salmon.

Matt M:
I would definitely not put the hooks or line under the rubber band. I realize they come with a few replacements, but those things are squirrely to put on while on the kayak. If you hook a fish that rubber band is surely going bye-bye. I have use similar rigging but with the beads and first hook sitting closer to the hook keeper.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version