Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:06:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:24:50 PM]

[Today at 02:19:35 PM]

[Today at 01:10:00 PM]

[Today at 11:40:28 AM]

[Today at 10:55:19 AM]

[Today at 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: 2009 Tarpon 140 Angler  (Read 2419 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I'm really liking the layout and hatches on the this newly improved yak. 

I'm really interested in finding out how easy it is to slide fishing rods inside from the front, or maybe from the 9" round center hatch.  The rear tank well his huge, and has those adjustable pad eyes.  The tracks along the side rails look promising too for additional options. The seat sounds like its really comfortable too.

The only drawback I see is the weight capacity of 375, where my T13 is 450ish. 

And NO I am not looking to sell my T-13, I'm just looking at options down the road for my family.   ;D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

jself

I think they are sweet. They already have 99% of the modifications I've made to my OK.

I can't get rods (8ft 6) out of my 7.5" day hatch like I was hoping, but it all depends on the depth of the hull I guess.

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
i JUST took one out for a paddle a lil over an hour ago... I like it quite a bit.  I dunno that the Angler version has all that much to offer for the price difference.  The only differences between the T140 and the T140 Angler are a few rod holders and the anchor package... For $150 i can do that all myself and put them where i want, tyvm!

In my limited experience (very limited), the Tarpon doesn't have the initial stability of the T13, but it does get up and move better.  I just need to get used to that, and I don't have a problem with it.  I couldn't tell you if it was the higher seat (which is freaking amazing IMO), or if its hull design.  I did notice that it didn't seem to glide all that much. I stopped paddling and it'd stop moving. The forward footwell scuppers were letting in just as much, if not less, water than the T13.  Interestingly enough the T160 has the same weight capacity as the 140. I can also tell you that I noticed the weight difference between the T13 and the T140.  Supposedly only a 10 pound difference, but I was sweating by the time we got the 140 down to the river.

There isn't a lot of flat space on the Tarpon for a variety of rodholders or whatever you'd normally drill into the hull for, but the slide trax system easily makes up for that.  There are 3 areas center forward of the seat, the highest of which they put the deck mount rodholder.  I'd figure you could get a couple more on either side of the front hatch as well.

Speaking of the slide trax.  The #1 thing that annoys me about the slide trax is that WS is using allen bolts for the trax accessories.  While i'm a fan of allen bolts, I know the first thing I'd do is start making my own stuff using wing nuts.  I'd rather not have to fish around looking for an allen wrench just to move something up/down the trax.

Sliding rods in/out of the center hatch is probably a task.  It seems like it should be easy enough, but there isn't a whole lot of room there.  It is just as easy to slide yourself up to the front and use the front hatch though.

BTW: in red the Tarpon is DROP DEAD SEXY.
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Thanks for the report out TN.  I figured the front hatch would be the ticket for rod storage. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

anything