Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:09:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Kayak Friendly Crabbing  (Read 1893 times)

Asully503

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I was looking for kayak friendly suggestions for where to crab. I live in Beaverton so weather and tide permitting, I was thinking of launching at social security beach (Hammond) and dropping a pot in ~20-25’ of water off the beach. I have a Danielson trap weighted down with about 8 railroad spikes ziptied to the bottom. I was trying to limit pedaling time and drive time…I also have 3 dinky rings that are a tad lighter but I’m afraid those would get swept away if the current picked up. Thought about putting 2 of the rings in tighter ~10-12’ of water. Good idea? Bad idea? Is there somewhere more “kayak friendly” to go?

kemfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
may not be within your range, but half moon bay in Winchester bay is a pretty tame spot with crabbing.  its pretty sheltered and is out the river's current so you can avoid even the strongest tides.  Lots of boaters dropping pots in the area.  I've tried it a couple times with some success.  You do have to move your kayak across maybe 50yds of sand to launch.
Keith

Old Town Sportsman 106 PDL

Asully503

• Perch
A little out of the range I want to drive but if I'm going that far I'm jumping in my grandparents 24' NR Seahawk and hitting the ocean. They live in Reedsport.  8)

may not be within your range, but half moon bay in Winchester bay is a pretty tame spot with crabbing.  its pretty sheltered and is out the river's current so you can avoid even the strongest tides.  Lots of boaters dropping pots in the area.  I've tried it a couple times with some success.  You do have to move your kayak across maybe 50yds of sand to launch.

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Very kayak friendly is Netarts Bay.
You can drop your pots only a minute paddle away from the boat launch. Lots of people crabbing there so expect large crowds, especially on the weekends. While crabbing was good earlier this fall (best in years from what i have heard, i had a few decent days myself)) it seems to have slowed down a bit.
More productive is Tillamook Bay but you need to paddle further (2 miles). However, you need to pick your days considering tides and wind. Yesterday was one of these days and my wife and I got 19 keepers in less than two hours.

Lifting a Danielson into your kayak can be a tricky thing if it is loaded with crab, surely if the trap is also weighted down already. That is something to be prepared for. You don't want to tip over when you pull the trap out of the water. I had situations, in the ocean, where i had to take the crabs out on the side of the kayak as i am almost positive that i would have tipped my Hobie Outback if I had pulled the full trap on board.

Asully503

• Perch
Looks like Winchester Bay is no longer an option ODFW just shut it down for high DA levels. I pulled my Danielson for the first time on the kayak this summer out a PC, 11 huge keepers (only about 1/2 full of meat) but there definitely was a bit of a learning curve. I’ll have to look into Netarts. Thank you for the recommendation.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
...11 huge keepers (only about 1/2 full of meat)...

Whatcha mean by 'only about 1/2 full of meat'?

Asully503

• Perch
Crab weren't heavy and full yet like they typically are in the winter months. During the summer months they are still feeding and trying to fill their big new shells they just molted into. If you have ever heard "Hard shell" vs. "soft shell" typically that is what people are referencing. Hard shell being the heavier and fuller ones, soft shell being the lighter half-ish full ones.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
A word about Netarts: the outbound current can really rip, especially on the big swings. You want to head up bay from the boat ramp and don't let yourself be at or below the boat ramp after the outbound starts. Launch on the inbound, say maybe 2 hours before high tide. Check traps every half hour or so. In fact, make sure you are above all your traps when still at high slack, and pick them up before the outbound starts because you're not going to win against the current.

The inbound pushes pretty good, too. But it can't sweep you out to sea.

Also, don't be tempted to try anchoring a kayak in swift current.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Crab weren't heavy and full yet like they typically are in the winter months. During the summer months they are still feeding and trying to fill their big new shells they just molted into. If you have ever heard "Hard shell" vs. "soft shell" typically that is what people are referencing. Hard shell being the heavier and fuller ones, soft shell being the lighter half-ish full ones.

Soft shell is immediately after the moult and refers to really soft shells that you can actually chew and don't need to be shelled to get at the meat.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
This ODFW page has links to detailed maps of most bays in Oregon showing where to crab (or clam):
https://myodfw.com/articles/where-bay-clam-oregon

For Netarts Bay area 10 on the map is the most popular crabbing stretch (and most kayak friendly as it is directly up the bay from the launch, away from the ocean, and you'll stay close to the shore). As Pinstriper pointed out keep the tides in mind. Depth of that crabbing area is up to 25 ft (with most of it being 15-18 ft). Parking at the boat ramp is 10$ (cash)

anything