Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:34:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:14:17 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: I'm back  (Read 1231 times)

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Like a bad penny, I keep popping up. Last time I was here was briefly in 2021 and before that 2019. I was very active fishing from my tricked out Revo from 2009 to 2014. Some of you may remember me. Some of you may remember this:
Puget Sound Water Rescue

I stopped kayak fishing in 2014 for a very personal reason which put me down for a few years. I'll only share this: if you or your children are eligible for the HPV vaccination, Gardasil-9, I strongly recommend it.

Ten years later, older and even grayer, I am hoping to get back on the water regularly. Lings are opening soon, then salmon and crab. As a skinny guy, dedicated to safety, I need a new dry/semi-dry suit. A month ago I sent my Kokatat T3 Super Nova Angler bought in 2008 and heavily used, back to Kokatat for neck and wrist replacements. They responded weeks later stating the suit was beyond repair. Not sure why. Unlike in the past, Kokatat is not particularly communicative. They offered to dispose of it, but I opted for them to send it back.

I am considering replacing my beloved T3 with a new:  SuperNova Angler Semi-Dry Suit (Hydrus 3.0)
or

Swift Entry Dry Suit (Hydrus 3.0) with Relief Zipper and Socks

Any comments on these suits? I would prefer latex wrist gaskets, and it seems the Swift has those.

demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 06:44:21 AM by demonick »
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
welcome back!

Just checked, all Supernova Angler suits (Hydrus and GoreTex) have latex wrist gaskets and adjustable neoprene neck.

I had the Hydrus Supernova from 2013 to 2017 when I upgraded to GoreTex Supernova that I continue to use, both have functioned perfectly for me.

Hydrus got warm on sunny days, that is the only negative I had with it.  GoreTex breathes better, allowing some chilly air in on colder days but proper layers inside take care of that.  On sunny summer days with light merino base layers, the GoreTex version is very comfortable.

cheers, roger
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 12:12:31 PM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I sell the Kokatats at my store.  The rep told me that the Goretex (which I use) breathes 30% better than the Hydrus so it was worth the extra money to me.

Kevin

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
FWIW: Replacing the wrists and neck are very doable if you want a small project, and patching holes and even significant tears is pretty easy with some gore-tex patching and aquaseal.

They sent my wife's suit back for the same reason so I've just taken to doing all the maintenance on it myself. That was 2 years ago and it's still doing great.

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Just FYI to everyone out there...

I recently discovered that Eugene Skindiver Supply will replace seals relatively cheaply and quickly. I'm having both wrists done, $75 and a week or less turnaround time.
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Latex gaskets neck and wrists are more time consuming than difficult.  I could always speed things up and use Cotol to accelerate the Aquaseal cure time, but I have the time so the time consuming part isn't an issue.

Just replaced the neck gaskets on my suit and my son's suit this winter in prep for getting salty this summer.

I believe it was NSR that put out a video on gasket replacement that I used years ago to get started with.  I've lost count on how many gaskets I've done now.  :-\

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Latex gaskets neck and wrists are more time consuming than difficult.

+1

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Update:
After an email from me begging Kokatat to simply replace the wrist and neck gaskets on my beloved suit, they relented. We ditched the hydro-test and pinhole repair on the right foot. I can fix a pinhole.

The suit arrived yesterday and looks good. They installed the new style neck gasket.

One of my favorite lingcod photos:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2tqtg5f0w9q5ty/2013-05-09.Ling.04.jpg?dl=0
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com