Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Keeping Sounders and Electronics from Salt Corrosion  (Read 1310 times)

DBam

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
So my Garmin Echomap is dead but I think it's due to corrosion in the wiring. The wire at the in-line fuse snapped once due to the weight of the fuse and holder, and salt got in there. Further, the wiring connector to the screen unit and the pins in the back of the screen itself are corroded.

I'm not a fair weather fisherman, I go when I've booked the time off to go so rough winds and waves are pretty normal and water gets everywhere. Is there a practical solution that can keep things more corrosion-proof, or are there units that are better at keeping water out of the connector ports? Thanks in advance.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Dialectic greas is your friend!!!

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I 2nd what Mojo says regarding dielectric grease. It'll extend the life of your electronic connections.

When I expect water to come over the side and inundate my depthfinder, I'll turn a gallon Ziplock bag inside-out, put it over the depthfinder, then secure it with a rubber band or two. This will keep most of the saltwater off the depthfinder. This is my standard procedure for surf launching, but if the ocean's rough, sometimes I'll leave the bag on the depthfinder the entire time I'm on the water.
aMayesing Bros.

Bassassin208

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
So my Garmin Echomap is dead but I think it's due to corrosion in the wiring. The wire at the in-line fuse snapped once due to the weight of the fuse and holder, and salt got in there. Further, the wiring connector to the screen unit and the pins in the back of the screen itself are corroded.

I'm not a fair weather fisherman, I go when I've booked the time off to go so rough winds and waves are pretty normal and water gets everywhere. Is there a practical solution that can keep things more corrosion-proof, or are there units that are better at keeping water out of the connector ports? Thanks in advance.

I always launch with my fish finder in a small dry bag and don’t set it up until I am through the surf. A friend turned me onto T9 spray from Boeing that does wonders in protecting metal from corrosion. I spray it on my fish finder pins and cables and all of the metal on my kayak at the beginning of the season. I highly recommend it

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I always launch with my fish finder in a small dry bag and don’t set it up until I am through the surf. A friend turned me onto T9 spray from Boeing that does wonders in protecting metal from corrosion. I spray it on my fish finder pins and cables and all of the metal on my kayak at the beginning of the season. I highly recommend it
I'm gonna check out that spray. Thanks for the recommendation!
aMayesing Bros.

Wilyakfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
Only problem with electrolytic grease...it's not a conductor. I've used too much and it made the connection worse. Too much acts as an insulator . I'm having a lot of problems with my nocqua battery terminal pins. Had to fish blind last time weout. Tried wd 40 Contact cleaner. Still not too good. I'll try the other stuff.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I'm gonna check out that spray. Thanks for the recommendation!
HUGE fan of T9! Highly recommended.
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Only problem with electrolytic grease...it's not a conductor. I've used too much and it made the connection worse. Too much acts as an insulator . I'm having a lot of problems with my nocqua battery terminal pins. Had to fish blind last time weout. Tried wd 40 Contact cleaner. Still not too good. I'll try the other stuff.
I have had similar issues getting a bit to agressive with the dialectic grease. Need to go very easy. I have a can of electronic spray cleaner I use a lot and that gets the grease out. https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Electronic-Cleaner-11/dp/B000BXOGNI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=7VTHYN156SSI&keywords=electric+contact+cleaner&qid=1685016221&sprefix=electric+contact+spray+cleaner%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-3
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Occasionally when my finder starts acting up,  I'll use a lil wire brush, needle, or other such implements , to scour n scrape the contacts. Usually does the trick.
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

anything