Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:41:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 08:38:44 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Cart Review & Inquiry  (Read 7570 times)

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Seattle Sports Scupper Pup cart

http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=76

Got this for my T13A.  Worked fine until it went "off-road", then had issues on short off-road excursions.  The first was a 1/4 mile walk from Richmond Beach park back up to the parking lot with only the first 100 feet off-road.  Wheel fell off due to tar ball gumming up the wheel keeper.  The second was yesterday on a 50 yard trek from road to water across sand, pebbles, and small fist sized rocks.  One of the uprights bowed.  

Also, all the joints very quickly became loose, and one of the knurled steel retaining screws stripped out.  This caused the cart to not track straight, but crab slightly.  The tubes are aluminum, the axles and wheels are plastic, but the retaining screws are steel.  Go figure.  The salt quickly rusted and trashed the threads on the steel screws.  

This cart is only suitable for light duty and fresh water, such as the trip from storage to vehicle and back on a hard surface.  Even short off-road treks will very quickly take their toll.

I'm now in the market for another cart - something stout.  Lot's of threads turned up on a "Wheeleez" search.  Past threads addressed a number of questions.  The question of balloon tires (11.8" dia, Kayak Cart-Beach) or flat-proof tires (10" dia, Kayak/Canoe Cart) is answered by the kind of surface to be traversed.  Seems there is loose sand just about everywhere I want to put into the salt.

However, hatch stowage only seems to be solved by going with the mini Wheeleez and I'm not sure it is stout enough and wide enough to haul a fully loaded T13 (anchor system, a couple crabs pots and caught crabs, FF/battery, milk crate/tackle, full fish bag, etc.).  I guess I've answered my own question and the issue of walk it back, stash it, or lash it can be worked out later.  

http://www.wheeleez.com/canoe-kayak-cart.php

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:18:05 PM by demonick »
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
i'm thinking it might be time for a DIY rebuild of this golf cart... lighter battery, scrap the frame for PVC, keep the wheels... http://www.hallsongolf.net/batcaddy_x3r.htm
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
 Seems there is loose sand just about everywhere I want to put into the salt.

Yeah, I've heard that.
They call it "Beach"  ;D
(sorry couldn't resist)

I do not own a pair of wheeleze or rolleez, but I have used them and they are superior. The bigger tire is better than the smaller one, but both work!

From what I've seen, storage is just bungee them in the back 40 (tankwell). The Cobra's with the big "A" hatches are probably the only boats that you could try to store them inside the hull (or perhaps a trapped-inside) :dontknow:

Oh, and screws suck. Use these:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:26:56 PM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

Hank

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
The Wheeleze Beach is the one I have and it's great. The type you decide to buy should be determined by where you launch the most. If it's a sandy beach then the choice is obvious. You will really appreciate how those wider tires handle pulling your yak through the sand.

If you're hauling it from a parking spot down to a rocky riverbank or lake, the other tires would be your best bet.

Why not get the beach cart and a set of the other wheels? Best of both worlds.
"Just another Newb"

demonick

• Sturgeon
From what I've seen, storage is just bungee them in the back 40 (tankwell). The Cobra's with the big "A" hatches are probably the only boats that you could try to store them inside the hull (or perhaps a trapped-inside) :dontknow:

Unfortunately the back 40 is occupied by milkcrate and rudder.  Front 40 will often be occupied by crab traps.  It's walk it back or stash it.  I've got a cable lock, guess it goes on the check list.

Oh, and screws suck. Use these:

Even those won't help the Scupper Pup.  The screws of which I speak are the ones that anchor both halves of the horizontal cross member into the T-joint on the main verticals.  One wants this joint to be rigid, so screws are appropriate.  Unfortunately rather than screw into a welded nut or even the heavy gauge metal of the far side of the T-joint the designers simply threaded the wall of the pipe which is thick enough for maybe 3 complete thread turns.  These very quickly wear under the load, and they used aluminum pipes and steel screws which leads to electrolysis and swift corrosion.   It would be a better cart and still fit in a hatch if each half cross member was simply welded into the T-joint. 
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
If you can, just make your own.. Then it can be a beefy as you want ;D

demonick

• Sturgeon

Welding is on my short list of skills to learn.  I may just pick up some gear, a book, and start at it.  Any starting gear suggestions?  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:26:39 AM by demonick »
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
Best thing to do is take a class at your local community college.  I take about one a year in the winter (gets dark early, gotta do something).  I took several "how to do it" classes and now just take the same "welding sculpture" class from the art department every year.  

This way you get to learn the ropes on someone else's gear, make some mistakes while there is someone around to help you out, and try several types of welders/plasma cutters etc. etc..  This way you can find out what you like, and what will work for what you want to do, before you plunk down any cash. Speeds the learning curve way up..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 06:43:35 PM by pelagic paddler »

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I have a PVC Ghettho built..rebuilt...rebuilt again..re modified cart that I can't part with for the life of me ::).
 I think the most sturdy and easy to modify Ghetto Cart I have sen so far is a basic freight dolly with the foot cut out to fit the hull, lined with molded PVC.
 But then, most of our "carting" is done on the street, or a fairly hard packed trail, few long haul beach launches here.
 Maybe a rope descent if yer feelin' froggy ;)
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
Look in the Drill'n and Cutting section here for my cart that I built from a granny walker.  Heck I'll find the link for ya bro.  http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2448.0.html

I only needed a drill, metal saw and rivet gun.   I have attached both my kayaks to this and beat tested the crap out of it on and off the curbs, off the deck, down stairs, and across river rocks.  Then Yakintup and I used it to bounce our kayaks up and down the stairs at Devils Punch bowl.  No issues with weakness. Solid! 

I paid $10 for the stainless 5/8" axle, $4 or $5 bucks each for the wheels at Harbor Freight, and $8 for the Granny Cart from Good will.  Couple of bucks for the pool noodle, and $6 for the straps from HF as well.  The black webbing I had already and can provide you with some if you like.  All you would need is to have someone sew them together so that they wrap around the aluminum tubing (Squidgirl maybe?).  I riveted the webbing in place on the tubing after slipping them on, so that nothing would shift around. 

Cheap strong and very light.  Easy to store in the front hatch of the T13A with masses amounts of room to spare.  Goes together relatively easy as well.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**

Welding is on my short list of skills to learn.  I may just pick up some gear a book and start at it.  Any starting gear suggestions? 

If you have the time, I'd be happy to spend a day teaching you how to weld with a MIG welder as well as cut with a plasma cutter.  I've been doing metal fabrication since I was in HighSchool. Graduated in '90.  Built many many toys for myself and would be happy to get you started.  Very theraputic to me to tinker in the garage.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I'm now in the market for another cart - something stout.  Lot's of threads turned up on a "Wheeleez" search.  Past threads addressed a number of questions.  The question of balloon tires (11.8" dia, Kayak Cart-Beach) or flat-proof tires (10" dia, Kayak/Canoe Cart) is answered by the kind of surface to be traversed.  Seems there is loose sand just about everywhere I want to put into the salt.

However, hatch stowage only seems to be solved by going with the mini Wheeleez and I'm not sure it is stout enough and wide enough to haul a fully loaded T13 (anchor system, a couple crabs pots and caught crabs, FF/battery, milk crate/tackle, full fish bag, etc.).  I guess I've answered my own question and the issue of walk it back, stash it, or lash it can be worked out later.  

Demonick-  I have the mini-wheeleez cart with the 10" tuff-tires and it works on my fully loaded (I am primarily a bass guy afterall) P13 and it fits in my front hatch.

ronbo613

I've had this cradle cart for a couple years, still works great. Not a big fan of steel carts; too heavy and they rust:

Kayak Carts

demonick

• Sturgeon
Wow.  I'm feeling the love.  Thanks for all the suggestions and accounts.  I would love to build my own, but time is short and so is my time.  If is was winter, I'd take the project on, at this point I'll trade money for time.  

I ordered the bigger one, Cart-Beach, and will see how it works out.  If I decide walk it back or stashing it isn't working I'll try the mini and someone may get a good deal on the biggie.

I live quite close to Shoreline Community College and did not find a welding class in their catalog last winter.  

Insayn, that's an insanely generous offer.   If you're in Forest Grove, OR, which is the closest airport to where you live, Hillsboro, Twin Oaks, Chehalem, Newberg?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:16:13 AM by demonick »
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Wow.  I'm feeling the love.  Thanks for all the suggestions and accounts.  I would love to build my own, but time is short and so is my time.  If is was winter, I'd take the project on, at this point I'll trade money for time.  

I ordered the bigger on, Cart-Beach and will see how it works out.  If I decide walk it back or stashing it isn't working I'll try the mini and someone may get a good deal on the biggie.

I live quite close to Shoreline Community College and did not find a welding class in their catalog last winter.  

Insayn, that's an insanely generous offer.   If you're in Forest Grove, OR, which is the closest airport to where you live, Hillsboro, Twin Oaks, Chehalem, Newberg?

There's 2 in Newberg. I can drive to Craigs house and watch you guys practice cuttin' stuff!!! If I'm not fishing, I might as well be pretending.
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

anything