Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:23:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:45:58 AM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: new boat/new FF  (Read 5499 times)

antpo

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
now that i have my boat, i'm looking for a fish finder and learning for the first time about these things -

i'm looking at humminbird 330c - anyone else use one of these - are all FF created equal given the same feature set - any gotcha's to look out for by brand/features/install

i'm a bit confused on the transducer stuff - wilderness systems make a gadget for easy mounting and humminbird has a suction cup portable transducer option -i have seen others that go under the boat - is one way better than the other - i do like the option of not having it on-board if i don't want it...just don't know enough to think intelligently about this item

thanks for your help!!!

anthony

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
If I remember you bought two boats a Trident 13 and a Tarpon.  If the T13 is the Angler then the starboard scupper is molded (underneath) to accept and protect a transducer.  Humminbird has a straight swap transducer exchange program where you send them your new, unused transducer and they send you one for the OK T13A (XTH-9-20-P).  Humminbird and OK are owned by the same parent company, SC Johnson. 

I would email cservice@johnsonoutdoors.com and ask if the transducer supplied with your Humminbird of choice is eligible for the swap program.  The program worked well for me and the turn around was quick, about 10 days. 

If you want a temporary mount here's coosbayyaker's post on a self contained fish finder mount:

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,809.0.html
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

antpo

• Herring
thank D - the trident 13 is for the girlfriend - i'm gonna be paddling and outfitting the tarpon 120 - wilderness systems makes a cool accessory -

http://www.harmonygear.com/product/203813/SLIDETRX_TDA/_/SlideTrax_Transducer_Deployment_Arm

gonna get that -

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
How does the Garmin Fishfinder 140 stack up for kayak fishing?

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
How does the Garmin Fishfinder 140 stack up for kayak fishing?

I haven't seen too many people stoked about that one. The Humminbird 500 series are still my favs. and have a great price point. The Eagle's are also nice and lots of members use them.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Bobarino

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
in my opinion, on a yak a color FF doesn't yield enough benefit to justify the added cost.  although the screen is smaller, i got the Eagle Cuda 350 which seems to be pretty popular amongst kayak fishers.  has GPS built in and costs about $200.  i'm very happy with it.  it's clear and easy to read even in the sunlight.  has more than enough features for kayak fishing.  good cost effective solution.

Bobby

demonick

• Sturgeon
Quote from: Bobarino link=topic=3278.msg32291#msg32291 date=
...  has more than enough features for kayak fishing ...

Why does kayak fishing have less FF/GPS requirements than power boat fishing? 
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

surfanor

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I have a Humminbird 565 and love it $170 wide beam and scupper transducer can't beat it imo.  If you're looking for a gps I guess Humminbird is updating the 580 series the new 581 has an internal antenna and card reader.... Of course they waited until i bought mine before announcing that one -_-
It's never too late to start procrastinating.

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Quote from: Bobarino link=topic=3278.msg32291#msg32291 date=
...  has more than enough features for kayak fishing ...

Why does kayak fishing have less FF/GPS requirements than power boat fishing? 

It doesn't, but we yakfisher's tend to be a frugal bunch. Some folk confuse that with lower standards.
That said, I LOVE the color on my Lowrance M68!
(color version of the M56/Cuda 350 ff/gps)
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

Bobarino

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
D,

it's just my opinion, but i when evaluating what i needed, i know that i didn't need super high ping speeds, super highly detailed picture of the bottom, color, uber accurate chartplotter, etc.  i really just wanted to know my position and to be able to mark where i launched from and waypoints/locations where i've caught fish, and speed reading from the GPS.  my journeys aren't long enough or fast enough to worry about much else.  for the FF part, i wanted water depth, fish size and depth and that's about all i needed.  overall, i wanted inexpensive but not cheap, compact enough that it wasn't in the way in the limited space available in a yak, waterproof (of course) and a screen that i could read well in bright light. it's only 3 feet from my face the whole time and i still have good vision so the smaller screen doesn't bother me at all.  install was easy and the head unit detaches easily for transport and storage.  

i suppose you could spend big bucks on a high dollar unit but joining the huli club in the surf and having my FF destroyed in the process crossed my mind too so if i should happen to lose it, i won't be nearly as heartbroken as i would be with a $500 unit.

again, just my opinion.  

Bobby

demonick

• Sturgeon
I am not lobbying that one should spring for a high-end unit - I am not a snob.  Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.  I am just pointing out one gets a FF to fish, and fishing is fishing whether from a PB or kayak.  I get the size and risk and vision issues.  My eyes are not as young as they once were and I need a larger, brilliant screen (went 5" color).  My Hummingbird is completely submersible according to their service folks, and I tested it  :)  Makes it easy to rinse off the salt.  Most units can be easily removed from their mounts. 

Bottom condition/structure is important for fishing and crabbing whether fresh or salt, kayak or PB.  I don't have bottom charting on my unit, but do have a slot for a Navionics chip (not cheap) and will likely get one for fresh water and/or salt next year.  These charting functions are something I expect will get used more on land in planning an outing than on the water executing an outing. 

GPS is useful and comforting for marking fishing locations, and in knowing speed and direction of your flotsam drift and your ability to make directional headway against current, wind, and wave. 

Good luck out there!  I must admit despite my early success with crab, my FF has not yet helped me in my salmon quest :(

Maybe we need a crab category for AOTY  :)
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
I wont be springing the cash for the added GPS function.  I have a hand-held GPS that I use for hiking/mountaineering and I can't justify spending the extra cash on that   ;)  (read:  cheap skate)

The eagles do seem to be quite the catch.  Cheap and effective - Great for someone just starting to use a FF/DF in my opinion, with the added bonus of not being too costly if it happens to find a new home in 30+ feet of water by accident.  I'm sure I'll probably lose SOMETHING while I'm learning all this.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I must admit despite my early success with crab, my FF has not yet helped me in my salmon quest :(

It's gonna take a whole lot more than a fish finder to get you salmon. All I can say is do a lot of research online and study, study, study!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

• I fish out of a SIK
  • blah...
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
It's gonna take a whole lot more than a fish finder to get you salmon. All I can say is do a lot of research online and study, study, study!
Z

Oh ya!  I couldn't agree more with Z, it's not about having all the right equipment, or the amount of time your 'in the water'.  There are skills and the applications of such that take a long time to learn, especially from someone that doesn't have a lot of years experience with fishing...

I got skunked every single time I went for salmon last year (this year too),  20+ times in the Willamette... I just really learn by being shown/walked through, I can't always figure out how to do the rigging by just reading...  Never really thought of myself as a slow learner, or even having a learning disability until this site, but new knots and the diagrams on how to do them, just don't really click until someone shows me in person or walks me through it.  Anyways, besides the online research and reading, try going out with someone that is successful, your fishing will improve leaps and bounds...

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
PSR............... i so agree with you. I started with this groups about 6 months ago or less i was a bankie that thru her line in with some power bait on it and just sat till the trout bit.. Now i have my Yak and with the great peoplehere and there patience.. i Have learned to get rid of the power bait and troll using Rooster Tails and spoons and how to bass fish.. havent caught any bass yet but learning. cant wait to get out and catch the pinks at the pink Out.

Marilyn
"Life is short lets go fishing"

anything