Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:17:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:45:58 AM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: new boat/new FF  (Read 5499 times)

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Good on you, Squidgirl, for ditching the power bait!

Yeh, I need to get a new fishfinder with gps, or at least a good "all-round" handheld gps that I can take with me on the water.  I've got a Humminbird Piranha 4 that works OK except that its the "portable unit" that folds into its own base, and is a little large for a yak.

I am by no means an "expert" salmon angler, although I do OK. I mainly fish the rivers here on the coast, both upstream of tidewater, and down in the tidal flux and bays. I don't get out on the open ocean much.
 One thing you newbies to salmon (and steelhead) angling should remember not to forget, is to wash your hands. Those anadramous fish can smell human scent or any chemical residue from sunscreen, insect repellant, etc. and it will often turn them away. I even go as far as smearing anise or garlic scent on my hands, and/or a slight bit of scent on the lure.
I regularly wash my lures, too. And my lure boxes. And my rod and reel handles.
Being scent-free, or having the right scent, can often make a huge difference in one's success.
I have proven this to myself many times. I'll sometimes even wear those nitrile gloves.

ConeHeadMuddler

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

One thing you newbies to salmon (and steelhead) angling should remember not to forget, is to wash your hands. Those anadramous fish can smell human scent or any chemical residue from sunscreen, insect repellant, etc. and it will often turn them away. I even go as far as smearing anise or garlic scent on my hands, and/or a slight bit of scent on the lure.
I regularly wash my lures, too. And my lure boxes. And my rod and reel handles.
Being scent-free, or having the right scent, can often make a huge difference in one's success.
I have proven this to myself many times. I'll sometimes even wear those nitrile gloves.

My wife and I did a steelhead float trip last year with one of the most respected guides in this area. He made the same recommendations but also carried these wipes in his drift boat. I bought some and did well with the salmon last year.

http://www.gooddayfishing.com/products/hand-wipes/gdf%C2%AE-sanitizing-hand-wipes-w-anise

"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

• I fish out of a SIK
  • blah...
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
One thing you newbies to salmon (and steelhead) angling should remember not to forget, is to wash your hands. Those anadramous fish can smell human scent or any chemical residue from sunscreen, insect repellant, etc. and it will often turn them away.

Thanks for the tip, I've been overlooking the human scent aspect forsure.

Those anise sanitizing wipes look sweet, going to get some I think  :)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
One thing you newbies to salmon (and steelhead) angling should remember not to forget, is to wash your hands. Those anadramous fish can smell human scent or any chemical residue from sunscreen, insect repellant, etc. and it will often turn them away.

Thanks for the tip, I've been overlooking the human scent aspect forsure.

Those anise sanitizing wipes look sweet, going to get some I think  :)

I carry a small bottle of lemon joy with me when salmon fishing.  Why lemon joy?   I dunno.  Some guys swear by it.  I am also a big far of scent.  I usually carry a bottle of herring or krill scent whenever I'm on the big blue ... for any type of fishing.

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
My wife and I did a steelhead float trip last year with one of the most respected guides in this area. He made the same recommendations but also carried these wipes in his drift boat. I bought some and did well with the salmon last year.

http://www.gooddayfishing.com/products/hand-wipes/gdf%C2%AE-sanitizing-hand-wipes-w-anise

Nice. I've been wondering about those and wanted to give 'em a try.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy