Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 05:02:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:59:15 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Keelguard and the like  (Read 7891 times)

jself

This sounds strange, but the wenonah keel strip/repair kit that we sell that is glass cloth & epoxy, is recommended for poly boats as well, and we've installed at least one that didn't come back the next day because it fell off or anything.

Fairly expensive at $70 or $80, but it's got everything you need to install.

The boats we rubbed holes in the stern on we plastic welded, and that's really the way to go for poly repair, but doesn't give you any protection from future damage.

I wouldn't do steel or metal as it will probably throw off the trim/handling of the boat.

That being said on a SOT piggy it may be only a slight deviation in performance.

ronbo613

I launch on rocks 90% of the time. I've been thinking about wear and tear on the keel.

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
i can't help but wonder if a single layer of fiberglass wouldn't be useful in those easy-to-abuse places.  After the Anderson Island trip this last weekend, my nearly pristine yak looks like a feral dog...
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

O2

I noticed this when I was loading mine on the truck this last weekend. I put my little homemade cart under the back end to keep it off the ground while I lifted the front onto the canopy and then onto the rack. It still drags slightly, a strip of carpeting would work well.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
After blasting my back a few times this year I've been loading the yak bow first ,w/ the stern on the ground, and then pushing it up onto the racks. I put a doormat on the edge of the roof and also one under the stern where it'll rub on the ground. No damage and no alterations to the yak!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
If your car/truck has floor mats, use these for ground contact points. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

holtfisher

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
If anyone has the kind of memory I have at my age, you will be less one floormat as you drive off into the sunset. holt
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
If anyone has the kind of memory I have at my age, you will be less one floormat as you drive off into the sunset. holt

Easy fix, put your car keys on the floor mat, too.   ;D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Here are the pictures of my skeg I took aftercoming home from the Pinkout.  In the first pic the yak is at a 45* angle (the amount of water is at the blue line).  Water drips from the hole at ~30 drops/min.  The second pic shows the worn section head on.  I think there may have been an air bubble in my skeg that resulted in the indentation deeper than the worn section.  Time to plasti-weld the hole and come up with some sort of wear shield.

jingram

Damn, that is gnarly! I though my yaks looked like hell after the John Day trip, but that just looks bad!

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
I don't mind scratches and scrapes... they add character.  It's the holes that make my ___ clinch.

I had another thought about how to fix this:  Cut out the 4" hatch hole in the tank well and use a couple plastic welding rods to make the skeg completely solid (roughly 2-3").  I'm thinking OK probably should have done this in the original design or one of the updated hulls.  Do the Tridents have hollow or solid skegs?

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Amos....... i have the piece i cut out to put my rod pod in .. i can split in in half with you. i wont give up the whole piece but would be willing to give ya a part of it.
"Life is short lets go fishing"

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
Thanks Marilyn!  I think I save the piece from my transducer cable hole that I'll use in the interim.

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Do the Tridents have hollow or solid skegs?

Hollow. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

troutnut

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I called the guys at Keelshield last year, they said they were working on Keelshield for kayaks when I called them. I have it on my bassboat and Whaler and love the stuff. He asked about what I wanted, price point I would pay, size.... He said the hardest part was finding an adhesive to bond their product to the hull. It seems different kayak manufacturers use different formulations. He also want to know which kayaks were the most popular. I told him for fishing IMHO it was Ocean Kayak, Hobies, Cobra, and Malibu's, at least here in Cali.

anything