Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:38:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Where are the Idaho kayak anglers?  (Read 9200 times)

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I went out on Cocolalla today with IdahoBrit and two of my children.  It was a beautiful day!  Cold with glassy water.  Unfortunately the trout were not eating what I offered.  Ended up with one LM Bass and one catfish.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catfish king!

Ive see you wearing knitted gloves out on the water. Do you have any recommendations for cold weather hand protection.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Ive see you wearing knitted gloves out on the water. Do you have any recommendations for cold weather hand protection.

I have two suggestions for cold-weather kayak fishing gloves for use in a pedal kayak.  The knit portions of these gloves must be polypro or some other fiber which doesn't absorb water.  The gloves should not contain any cotton, because cotton can absorb up to 27 times its weight in water, it dries very slowly, and is like wearing little refrigerators on your hands.  Wool will keep your hands pretty warm if it gets wet, but I don't like wool gloves because they stay soggy and wet for a long time.  The heat from your hands will quickly dry out polypro gloves.

1. Hardware store knit polypro gloves.  Home Depot and other hardware stores sell polypro knit gloves which are real inexpensive.  They are typically white, but get darker colors if possible because they don't show dirt and fish slime as badly.  They are great for outdoor use.  They're cheap, so buy a bunch of them.  Throw two or three pairs into your fishing gear when you go kayak fishing, so you can switch to a different pair if one pair gets wet.

2. Hardware store rubber palm knit gloves.  Home Depot and other hardware stores sell knit and pile work gloves with rubber palms.  Most of these are for summer use and are not at all warm, but some are thick and warm.  The advantage of the rubber palms is that you can grab wet things or touch wet surfaces without getting the gloves wet.  Look for gloves which have a lot of insulation between the palm of your hand and the rubber.  Gloves in which the rubber has been absorbed part of the way through the knit fabric aren't as warm.

Knit gloves don't work very well in a paddle kayak, because water dripping down the paddle shaft will quickly get the gloves wet.  But in most conditions you can keep knit gloves pretty dry when fishing from a pedal kayak.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:54:50 PM by pmmpete »

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod

I have two suggestions for cold-weather kayak fishing gloves for use in a pedal kayak.  The knit portions of these gloves must be polypro or some other fiber which doesn't absorb water.  The gloves should not contain any cotton, because cotton can absorb up to 27 times its weight in water, it dries very slowly, and is like wearing little refrigerators on your hands.  Wool will keep your hands pretty warm if it gets wet, but I don't like wool gloves because they stay soggy and wet for a long time.  The heat from your hands will quickly dry out polypro gloves.

1. Hardware store knit polypro gloves.  Home Depot and other hardware stores sell polypro knit gloves which are real inexpensive.  They are typically white, but get darker colors if possible because they don't show dirt and fish slime as badly.  They are great for outdoor use.  They're cheap, so buy a bunch of them.  Throw two or three pairs into your fishing gear when you go kayak fishing, so you can switch to a different pair if one pair gets wet.

2. Hardware store rubber palm knit gloves.  Home Depot and other hardware stores sell knit and pile work gloves with rubber palms.  Most of these are for summer use and are not at all warm, but some are thick and warm.  The advantage of the rubber palms is that you can grab wet things or touch wet surfaces without getting the gloves wet.  Look for gloves which have a lot of insulation between the palm of your hand and the rubber.  Gloves in which the rubber has been absorbed part of the way through the knit fabric aren't as warm.

Knit gloves don't work very well in a paddle kayak, because water dripping down the paddle shaft will quickly get the gloves wet.  But in most conditions you can keep knit gloves pretty dry when fishing from a pedal kayak.

Thanks I'll give them a try. I’ve been trying different options. Still trying. The neoprene ones I’ve been using are hard to get back on once they and my hands are wet. I had a pair of “technical poly pro” gloves designed for runners but once wet my hands get cold. I also use fingerless cycling gloves, same results. I’m just getting soft and feeble. Haha.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I take the gloves off and stick them inside my PFD when doing delicate work or getting my hands in the water, and then dry my hands off with a small towel before I put the gloves back on.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
Good idea. I"ve just got to remember to take my hand towels. Haha. Sad really. But thanks for the ideas. I will be try them out.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Google search neoprene fishing gloves! I use to use them when I float tubed in colder weather, I'm too damn wore out for cold water now arthritis and all.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I went out on Cocolalla today with IdahoBrit and two of my children.  It was a beautiful day!  Cold with glassy water.  Unfortunately the trout were not eating what I offered.  Ended up with one LM Bass and one catfish.   

Catfish king!

wool liners with nitril gloves over them.   Low volume which helps with the paddle grip, the nitril gloves keep the wool dry.  Works quite well for me.   If you tear the nitril glove, just put on another.  they are inexpensive.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
Thank you all for your input. I just love NWKA. As a newbie I am learning so much by posting my questions on here. There is so much experience to benefit from. So helpful.  :)

Kalph

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Cda idaho here. Got a new malibu x factor last year and due to lack of funds, it hasnt seen water. Still need a PFD and i got a cheap seat and oars for now. But ive never actually taken it on water. So i may wait until spring to be safe.

Due to 4 kids and a new born and wife and i on different schedules its hard to get out. But i work wed thru sat and get sun thru mon off.

Kalph

• Rockfish
By the way, facebook has a group called north idaho kayak anglers that is pretty active. Check em out :)

reelmccoy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
Hey Kalph!  I recommend you wait to get the kayak out on the water until the water warms up significantly. 

I don't do Facebook, but Idaho Brit is pretty involved with the NIKA Facebook page and keeps me updated.  When spring come, we'd be happy to have you join us.  I have a PFD you can borrow, if it fits.

Kalph

• Rockfish
Im looking for a pfd. Just dont know my chest size yet. Ill measure this weekend. I cant buy anyway until sometimes in january or feb.

Also, what kind of pfd should i get? I dont wanna skimp but im not made of money either. We just had our 5th baby.

But i dont want something hot and uncomfortable either. Any suggestions?

Sorry bout the thread hijack.

Murrica

• Herring
If any of you kayak bass fish and like to compete check out www.kayakfishingidaho.com .  We have a ton of great sponsors on board and we are having 8 tournaments this season.
Team Alpenglow Mountainsport
Hobie Fishing Team

mertens

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
Hey, Murrica! You wouldn't happen to be the Jeremy (I think) that puts the KFI stuff on, would you?

Murrica

• Herring
That would be me Alex!  Do you have a Facebook by chance? 
Team Alpenglow Mountainsport
Hobie Fishing Team

anything