Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 11:35:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[Today at 05:38:38 PM]

by [WR]
[Today at 05:33:39 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Heading to Oregon...  (Read 4147 times)

Wayne Jordan

• Herring
  • My fishing & hunting photos
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I'm leaving for a week long camping trip along the Oregon coast with my girlfriend on Saturday. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stop along the way to camp/fish, or really scenic spots we should visit?  I'm bringing the rods along, and going prepared to fish both salt & freshwater...

Thanks in advance!

-Wayne

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Nice!!

Oswald West State Park, a few miles south of Cannon Beach, is sweet. Walk-in campsites in oldgrowth in a little valley, leading down to a protected cove that is a favorite of NW surfers. Packed out on weekends, but otherwise worth a stop. Manzanita, the next town south, is a little quieter than some of the touristy towns. Nehalem Bay State Park is a long walk, or short biike ride, beyond. The king run returning to the Nehalem R. should be starting to heat up.

Pacific City, at the south end of the Three Capes Drive (S. of Tillamook) is a good potential launch site. Commercial (and a charter boat) dory fisherman launch off the beach on the south side of Cape Kiwanda. Also, a nice brewpub, the Pelican Brewpub, is right on the beach.

The Oregon State parks are great, and it seems there's one (at least a day park) every few miles. If it looks like it's going to be wet, the yurts sure are nice.  http://www.oregonstateparks.org/searchpark.php?region=north_coast

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
What a timely discussion for a couple reasons.  One ... the kings should be starting to show in the bays and rivers.  Two ... I just started sending out some feelers for a couple trips down there myself.  The weekend after labor day is the GF's birthday and she was talking about possibly heading down there.  Bad weekend for me to fish as she wants to drive the sports car down there and on the winding coast highway.  Sports car means no kayaks.   However, I am trying to set up a weekend later in September to take an Oregon based Ocean Kayak dealer out fishing.  Was planing to hit the salmon someplace like Tillamook Bay.  Either the last weekend in Sept or the one before that depending on how scheduling works out.  I'm trying to hook up with some local Oregon kayak fishermen that I met on other boards (hopefully they'll pop up here too).  Hopefully they'll know this fishery, at least they'll know it better than I do.  Perhaps the Oregon kayak anglers here like boxofrain, Ferndale Solar, chetcosailor, or others will chime in too.

-Allen
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 09:04:53 AM by polepole »

Wayne Jordan

• Herring
  • My fishing & hunting photos
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Thanks for the information guys. We were doing a little online campsite reservation hunting and it seems the entire state is booked for the weekend!  We're debating on whether or not to take the chance and drive down there, or head out to the OP... Either way the kayaks will be getting on the water (somewhere) and I'll post a report when I get back. ;D

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Posted on: August 16, 2006, 09:54:04 pm
Posted by: polepole
However, I am trying to set up a weekend later in September to take an Oregon based Ocean Kayak dealer out fishing.  Was planing to hit the salmon someplace like Tillamook Bay.  Either the last weekend in Sept or the one before that depending on how scheduling works out.

Interesting! I have to deliver some kids to Seattle, for the weekend of 9/23-24. Kristi's given me permission to go fishing- I was thinking Admiralty Inlet/ Eastern Straits, if solo. I would consider going farther, if pooling. (The La Push late season will be open, too.)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
I'm secretly hoping it's the last weekend in September.  The weekend before is the Bendo at Mendo II tournament down in Ukiah, CA.  But I'm more at the mercy of the dealer's schedule right now.

-Allen

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Wayne,
I'm way down at the S. end of OR. in Brookings.
If you are headed this way, the Rogue River in Gold Beach is putting out some very large Chinook at this time, many over 30#.
I have been fishing the lower Chetco when I get the time and have been catching Sea Run Cutthroat between 14" and 18".
The local reefs off of Brookings are still producing an unusually large number of huge Ling's. These along with the continued Surf Perch and common "rockfish" IE. Blues, Blacks and such. Be sure to watch your Regs closely and ID the fish correctly, as they hand out tickets on a regular basis in this area. Also some protected research areas are off limits.
 Most of thes fish can be taken from the Yak but I think the Perch are best fished from the shore.
 As far as lodging along the Coast, you should have no problem. If you like to camp, many state or private parks to choose from, maybe Google the Chamber Of Commerce for the towns you are thinking about.
 Another option is to pull off the road and stay where you like! Many tourists sleep in the turnouts along 101 all the time. Some can be quite secluded.
 Hope you have fun in Or.,If you have any questions post em here or call me at 541-251-4396   
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

anything