Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Don’t trust boat ramps  (Read 6426 times)

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Yesterday:
Up early, shower, shave, dress, feed dog, get coffee, get in car, roll down windows, back out of drive way, drive to stop sign, stop. Coffee cup rolls off roof, hits open window, lid flies off, coffee sprays all over me. Awesome. At least I wasn't wearing a white shirt. Drive to work.

The day at work was brutal but I was powering through it, hell bent on leaving early to fish. 430 rolls around and I'm out the door, mission accomplished. I should be able to get to the ramp by 5:00. I forgot the bait and beer at work but at least I'm heading in the right direction. Traffic is fairly light and I hit the exit with time to spare. Quick stop for a six pack of Total Domination and I'm only a couple of miles from the ramp. Then I see the signs for paving. 30 minutes to travel the last 3 miles and I'm finally at the ramp, needing some time on the water more than ever. Back down the ramp and start to unload the car. The water is getting pretty low and the last few feet of the ramp is pretty steep. So I drop the boat as close to the water as I dare and start to unload. PFD, mirage drive, paddle, rod, tackle, FF, all ready to rock. I just need to change and park the car. I shut the hatchback gate and hear the sound of grinding plastic and then a distinctive "plop". Shit! I turn around and sure enough the boat has launched itself and is heading for the middle of the river. I run to the water’s edge muttering, "No, no, no, no....". I look around quickly and there aren't any boats, kayaks, jet skis, or anyone that might be able to assist. Seeing only one option I strip off my dress clothes down to my boxers and swim for it. Thank god it isn't February! Made it to the boat and very luckily all contents were still inside. Reentry went smoothly and I was back to the beach in no time. Even better no one was around to notice my frantic Willamette strip tease and flailing swim for my baby  ;D

Ah, lessons learned. Don’t trust boat ramps. Don’t put your PFD in your kayak before you get in it. Bring your wheels. Change before unloading.

Sinker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Where is the like button?
I would much rather be up a creek without a paddle than down one.

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

FishPimp

• Rockfish
  • OK Trident 13
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
Wow!  Thank you for making my sh!tty day seem not so bad.  I guess it's all about perspective right? :laugh:
Water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
+1 on cheering up the day.

It really is all about perspective.  I called home from Afghanistan one time, listening to my crazy aunt complain about how her air conditioning wasn't working.  I just hung up on her.  Pretty sure she talked er uh, whined for another 10 minutes before she realized I wasn't on the line any more.

ohbryant

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
Thanks Noah...I'll add my confession, back in Halibut season we were setting up our gear  and some small waves were coming through, my boat was at the edge of the water ready to launch and I went back to get some stuff, help with another boat, a set rolled through and I turned around and my boat was departing of it's own volition rather quickly, mine was the only boat at the water so we had to get Doug's down and launch him, by this time my boat was 25 yards or so from shore, same good outcome for us and Halibut to boot. 

Would not have shared this story if you hadn't;)

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!

I'm honored  ;D If I had known all it would take was a boat ramp strip tease I would have made it in a lot sooner!

Wow!  Thank you for making my sh!tty day seem not so bad.  I guess it's all about perspective right? :laugh:
No problem buddy. You know I still had a good day. Things did not good smoothly but at least I got some fishing in. Of course I got skunked but I wouldn't expect a different ending to the day.

j-fek

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
here fishy fishy fishy!!!

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
Oh man, so were you mad or laughing at yourself the whole time?
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Nah, I was laughing. Now if I had lost a mirage drive I wouldn't have been laughing :)

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
Lee,

Thanks for the reality check. Got home from CA yesterday to find my new fridge is on back order and still10 days away. I'd already lost a large package of fresh Dungeness crab I'd picked the night before it died 10 days ago. Really been grumpy, snapping at the bride, etc. After reading your story I'm resetting my crank-meter to zero and giving thanks for all my very many blessings, including "The Brotherhood" at NWKA.

Noah,

Thanks for sharing, was that at Oak Grove?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Lee,

Thanks for the reality check. Got home from CA yesterday to find my new fridge is on back order and still10 days away. I'd already lost a large package of fresh Dungeness crab I'd picked the night before it died 10 days ago. Really been grumpy, snapping at the bride, etc. After reading your story I'm resetting my crank-meter to zero and giving thanks for all my very many blessings, including "The Brotherhood" at NWKA.

Noah,

Thanks for sharing, was that at Oak Grove?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
H-
Yup, Oak grove. Hey do you want to borrow my mini frig? You could pick it up from my office tomorrow. I think it's this model. It's empty of bait at the moment. 

http://www.target.com/QuickInfoView?width=700&partNumber=14041805&overlayId=QuickView&lnk=Rec|qi|14041805|RelatedToInternalSearch|search_page.banner_1

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Good story , Noah, because it almost happened to me about this time last year on my third kayak fishing voyage. I was up some skinny tidewater trout fishing and nature called. I was on a gravel bar faced away from the kayak, tide coming in, and took a bit too long admiring the nice trees and whatever. Turned around to see the kayak leaving without me. Fortunately, I could wade knee deep to get it before it was too late. It's been one of my fears ever since.

dberd

• Salmon
Damn...funny story Noah :) Too bad there wasnt a fishy ending.
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
That is to funny.  It is a good thing it happened now and not in the spring.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2