Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 05:21:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 21, 2024, 05:54:13 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

by jed
[May 21, 2024, 03:39:33 PM]

by jed
[May 21, 2024, 03:38:15 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 12:36:33 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Anyone up for some catching this weekend?  (Read 4338 times)

CRV83

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm thinking about comments coming down tomorrow evening.  This is my first time to Seward....any advice on good camping sites?  Where's everybody planning to meet at?
2009 Tarpon 160 Angler SOT

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Go get 'em Rudy. The sea lions did better than me today -- way better by the looks of it. I'd never seen them at the head of the bay before, have you? Four, grumbled a little at me and checked for easy pickings in the tank well. Nada. Half a dozen harbor seals fishing independently. Gorgeous day -- though so far my season holds only lords and flounder. Beginning to feel more like a peddler/paddler than an angler.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I'm thinking about comments coming down tomorrow evening.  This is my first time to Seward....any advice on good camping sites?  Where's everybody planning to meet at?

Hmmm...Akfishergal,  Did you mark fish?? Sealions I've seen everywhere. Scary buggers!

Copperrivervalley83, I don't have advice on camping...of course.  Seward will likely be a lot spottier fishing wise but I'd rate the scenery 10 times better on a good day. A lot more wildlife too.

Id say its not necessary, but be prepared to fish deeper. It opens up more possibilities. 250 ft is probably as deep as you need to go. It can be that deep 100ft or less from shore.

I'm hoping to be in Seward Sunday. Might take day off tomorrow and try something. Drive safe!!! Lots of moose calves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
CRV83 -- there's tent camping in the city park right along the 1st avenue route in beautiful downtown Seward -- both water side and uphill. Usually sites there are open this early in the season. RV sites were sparsely filled as I left today. Outside of Seward, there's camping spots on the Exit Glacier road and at Primrose (forest service I think).

You can also camp at Miller's landing (private) at Lowell Point -- I think $15/night there. If you're fishing out toward Tonsina, that's convenient.

Kard -- marking steady groups of fish on the rising tide, most around 25' in water over 40'. Also in shallows below 10', but not concentrated groups in shallow water nearer the river mouth -- watch your depth though. My 2' depth alarm was chirping.

Started marking fish almost as soon as I got outside the Josie, you'll see her at anchor.   Biggest concentration about half a mile offshore from the abandoned dock a couple hundred yards north of the chip pile. Commercial guys swooped in there after one boat dropped nets.

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
That's a Roger on the scenery in Seward.  Wonderful views and a more convenient....that is, more public restrooms, showers, restaraunts, grocery stores, and things to do when not fishing.  Freezer filling might take a bit more effort, but it's a nice trip for sure
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

CRV83

• Perch
Oops, I skimmed the topic and didn't connect the dots.  :confused3:  I would rather go after halibut than sockeye.  Soooo....I'll be camping on the beach late afternoon today. Looking forward to yakking with you guys tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:35:36 AM by CopperRiverValley83 »

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Oops, I skimmed the topic and didn't connect the dots.  :confused3:  I would rather go after halibut than sockeye.  Soooo....I'll be camping on the beach late afternoon today. Looking forward to yakking with you guys tomorrow.

Lol. Ok. I didn't want to burst anyone's bubble but I'll try to be less cryptic. Fill the freezer with halibut? Gotta go to cook inlet. Finnish up early and visit Seward. It only 40 miles outta the way.

But it's more a mixed bag and plenty of opportunity for halibu in Seward. Just nowhere as consistent. I gotta believe they are following this red run to a degree.

Big tides this weekend on the inlet so currents will be faster  good luck and as always be safe!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Any updates??

Hit Whittier out of a powerboat.  4 rods, managed to hook over 30 chromer chums deep.  Landed half of them due to rookie crew but it was great.  Landed one of the larger yelloweye rockfsh I have ever caught.

Top it off with about 8 gallons of spot shrimp and it made for an awesome day.  Not what am I doing today?!?!

A small but feisty wolf eel....

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Yeah what's up with the updates!? Keep a brotha in the loop! I think I'm gonna head down to whiskey Monday and Tuesday. But if I can get a Seward report I might switch plans

CRV83

• Perch
Went out for the low tide on Saturday morning (2 miles out in 55' of water) with Xanfly and almost immediately had a halibut on.   Wasn't long after I hooked-up, so did Xan fly.  I landed the 34" halibut (17.3#s) and paddled half way back to the original drift and put another herring (purple label) down.  It kinda died after about 20 min with only sole being landed.  I did keep a 20" rock sole and got some decent fillets off of it.  When the tide turned, I started back to camp to check on Deke and take an afternoon siesta.  The afternoon fishing was not a fast and furious, but I only went out about a mile off shore.  I was able to land a 29# halibut and called it a day afterward.

Sunday, I only went out for the morning low tide since I had a long drive back home.  I went about 2.5 miles out this time and landed 3 ping-pong paddle halibut and an irish lord.  I released all hoping for something bigger and went back for shore because I wanted to be on the road by 1pm.

All and all, I had a great weekend.  Regretfully no pics taken. :(  The surf and wind was extremely manageable.  Sunday morning had some chop to the water, but calmed after the tide turned. 

Man I wish I lived a little closer so I could do that more often! :laughing9:

Cheers!

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Went out of deep creek Saturday.  I guess I missed the memo about the party @ WG.  Caught 1 chicken that went back to grow up.  Then Followed a dolphin and her baby on the way back to the truck.

Was gonna go play Sunday, but a late night concert and home projects kept me in Kenai. 
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

anything