Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:14:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Valdez Silvers Anyone?!  (Read 4601 times)

CRV83

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Hey Alaska Kayak Anglers!

I've been hearing good things about the silvers this year around Valdez.  They are now as close as the Valdez Narrows and hopefully getting closer.  Is anyone contemplating a trip out there to join in on the fun?
2009 Tarpon 160 Angler SOT

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I am definitely trying to get to Valdez.  It was very enjoyable and the city really caters to the sportfishing community.

I thought the general size was larger in Valdez as well.  My understanding is they are within range now but still spotty at that distance.  I was planning something closer to Labor Day.  My one weekend experience a few years back was that I could fish with all of the powerboats successfully.  but where I really hammered the fish was since I fished so late in the season, the silvers were congregating behind docks, shallow water, right up against the shoreline and I had a blast.Would not have beeen possible in anny size powerboat. 

As usual, I don't have a date/  But starting towards the end of August into athe first two weeks of September, I really want to get a trip in!!!!

My trip from 2011:
http://guidesak.blogspot.com/2011/09/took-kayak-and-fished-valdez-for-first.html
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:43:25 AM by kardinal_84 »
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Love to --  after the Paulson Bay trip (returning 8/19) and the great drying out of gear. 

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
thread hijack - My BIL and I are going to Prince of Wales island the week 8/26. Any comments on the prospects for the silver run in that area at that time?
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

CRV83

• Perch
I heard Shoup Bay is where their at (from local fish cutter).  That would be very condusive to kayak angling.  I've also heard they couldn't keep them off the line in Jack Bay, so it's looking very promising.

Sherminator:  POW will be pretty hot in late August/ealy september.  Are you heading to Thorne Bay or Craig, or where?

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
thread hijack - My BIL and I are going to Prince of Wales island the week 8/26. Any comments on the prospects for the silver run in that area at that time?

That's a completely different world than for most of us here in AK. The general reports around the state is that the coho run is strong. Appears to be the case in POW.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishingReports/index.cfm?ADFG=R1.reportDetail&area_key=32

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Sherminator:  POW will be pretty hot in late August/ealy september.  Are you heading to Thorne Bay or Craig, or where?
CRV83- We're staying with my BIL's buddy in Hollis. He is a retired ADFG biologist who's lived there for years. We will be driving to rivers to fish.

That's a completely different world than for most of us here in AK. The general reports around the state is that the coho run is strong. Appears to be the case in POW.
kardinal - I realize SE AK is way out of you guy's normal haunts, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. You in particular are a wealth of knowledge about AK fishing.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Lets us know how it goes!! Southeast is a dream trip for me. Beautiful country...when it's not raining!  Lol. I guess that's true for a lot of the PNW!

I wish my schedule would allow for a POW or sonething like the trips I've seen funngunnin post with Howard in Ketchikan!!!!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Ok...sounds like they are showing up in a hurry!!!! 

I'm going to pencil in the last week of August I think.   I might break free next weekend.... Argh. I guess I have no clue.

Seward, Valdez, Kenai river...all have great reasons to go hit them hard! I think my saltwater coho fishing is going to be limited this year.

Quest for a 30inch rainbow and a 50 pound halibut is going to come first.  I think August is prime time for the Halibut goal.

If the bite is remotely even on, I think I'm going to use my flyrods. 10wt with 20ft plus tip of T-20 line for flatlining and power mooching. 4 or 5 wt to troll with assistance of a downrigger maybe.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I'm game if they are still around in early September
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

CRV83

• Perch
It's final for me, it looks like Labor Day weekend (between Aug 31 - Sept 2) is the weekend that I'll be headed down that way. 

CRV83

• Perch
Actually, I may go this weekend (Aug 23-25), too depending on if there are any caribou sighting in the Tangles.  If I do, I will report on Monday!   ;D

jmk

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Actually, I may go this weekend (Aug 23-25), too depending on if there are any caribou sighting in the Tangles.  If I do, I will report on Monday!   ;D
I may be headed down there this coming weekend also.

CRV83

• Perch
Nice!  The tides will be pretty big that weekend, so I'm planning on sticking close to wherever I launch.  Hope I see ya out there.

Cheers!

CRV83

• Perch
Well I made it out on Sunday.  Put in at the kayak launch.  I started by drifting troll herring behind a banana weight.  In front of the fishing dock, hooked into my 1st...got it close to the top of the water, spits the mooching rig.  This proceeds to repeat itself more than 2 dozen times.   >:(  I tried various things but could not land any.  Very frustrating!  I didn't have the right type of pole to cast hardware.  I saw lots of jumpers, zombie pinks, and others landing fish along the dock, down the rock ledge, and towards mineral creek

The silvers are definitely here and folks seem to be easily filling their limits (except me...oh well true sportswoman here with catch and release  :P ).  On top of that, it was a bluebird day with a pleasant breeze.

Oh well, guess I'll try again next weekend.

anything