Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:57:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Wa kayak angler monthly meetings?  (Read 40246 times)

holtfisher

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
It will be interesting to see if pedals are helpful in some of the current/wind conditions.
This is exactly where the MD shines. There's always a funky current and wash or chop throwing you around when you're near a jetty. Having the pedals let's you angle into it and keep fishing.

Z
Makes sense, thanks Zee
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
.....Meanwhile, I have been scouting the beach (aka "walking, jogging, beach-combing and agate hunting!") and have found some great looking holes and troughs close to the beach to go check out for surf perch, as soon as the surf drops to reasonable beach-fishing levels. I'm ramping up my surf fishing this year, too!

CH, the jetty sounds really good. It will be interesting to see if pedals are helpful in some of the current/wind conditions.

Also the serf perch fishing from shore would be fun to learn.  What kind of gear is needed? I have a Garcia Mitchel 302/Eagle surf spin surf rig that was my Dad's from the early 1960's and had it refurbished recently. holt

Holt, I'm not sure what that outfit looks like, but for surf perch, I am using both med/light and med action longer rods, and depending on which rod I am using, I'm capable of tossing anything from 3/8 oz. to up to 2 oz of lead. I usually use 3/4 oz or 1 oz. with 10lb mainline and 8lb leader and #4 hooks. No need to go bigger than size 4 hooks for surf perch, although I have used size 2 when I'm out of size 4.

Your reel sounds like its good for the job.

I can toss up to 3/4 oz lead on my med/light action 8'6" steelhead jigging rod, rated for 6 to 14 lb test. I use that rod when I'm tossing 2" power grubs or if I don't need more than 3/4 oz.
I use an old Fenwick 8" salmon/steelhead rod rated for 8 to 20 lb test line and up to 1 oz lead when I'm tossing 1 oz or greater lead and using bait. This isn't as good a rod for grubbing or tossing light jigs, but it has served me well for 28 years so far, and is my favorite jetty fishing rod.
Some of the local surf perch anglers are using very long med/light action graphite rods, 10' to 14' . With light braid and a long rod, you can huck a 1 oz sinker over a hundred yards out over the waves, and still feel the bites.
I am going to spool up some braid for mainline, as the qualities (mainly, lack of stretch) makes it a better line for surf fishing than mono. (Have the braid, but I haven't gotten around to replacing the good mono on my spool, yet).
I'm going to be tying my surf perch flies on size 6 and 8 freshwater streamer hooks, as well as on size 6 saltwater hooks, for when I find the perch close enough in to cast at 'em with a flyrod. I use a shooting head system for that, with a stripping basket.
In fact, I'm going to be updating a lot of my beach and jetty fishing gear this year. If gas prices rise over $3, I'll be staying close to home most of the time. High gas prices suddenly make trips out of my local area seem like "special events."
ConeHeadMuddler

KDCurry

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I know it is an old thread but are there any meetings still happening?

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Not really.  There are a lot of us that volunteer to help with Heroes on the water though, and that's kinda the same thing, only better.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
If they start up again, I would be game to go. I am guessing I would be in the Seattle  & North group. As Seattle is close to Bremerton.
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin