Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:14:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Winter project -- Drive well in skinny SOT  (Read 2623 times)

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
With the discontinuation of the Hobie Revolution 16, there don't seem to be any peddle kayaks that are made for making tracks... For a while now I've been toying with the idea of taking a long and skinny SOT and performing a major operation whereby I install a drivewell, effectively converting it into a peddle kayak. If that goes well (super major if, given the HDPE plastic and numerous other factors), I could pretty easily manufacture a hand manipulated rudder system. I doubt I'd be sure enough of the boat's reliability to actually take it out on big water, but that's a bridge that would be a delight to cross if I'm privileged enough to get that far..

I figure I might as well try to tackle this project this winter when daylight is scarce. There seems to be a surprising lack of information about doing this operation on the internet.. This post is sorta a solicitation for information and/or anecdotes.

I'm toying with either using a Hobie inflatable drivewell (manufactured from PVC, which is a negative when my hull is HDPE) or manufacturing my own drivewell from HDPE. Presently leaning towards the latter.

Oh - if anyone has a POS SOT laying around that they want gone, I'm looking for a dispensable hull to try this out on first. Would hate to trash an old Scupper or Cobra.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I can't really help you much except I have a pretty big chunk of the side of an old Hobie Outback laying around I've been saving for the plastic, should I ever need it. I was getting ready to throw it out literally last week, so if you want it for spare plastic for welding I can set it aside for you.

uplandsandpiper

The Old Town Salty 120 PDLs top speed is above 6 mph and it retails for less than $2k.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
I can't really help you much except I have a pretty big chunk of the side of an old Hobie Outback laying around I've been saving for the plastic, should I ever need it. I was getting ready to throw it out literally last week, so if you want it for spare plastic for welding I can set it aside for you.

That's awesome of you -- I'll send you a PM shortly.

The Old Town Salty 120 PDLs top speed is above 6 mph and it retails for less than $2k.

I dig the hell out of the fact that you're able to make a living doing what you love, but at what cost? Lol in the context of the thread this just reads like something produced by a poorly programmed spam bot.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin

I dig the hell out of the fact that you're able to make a living doing what you love, but at what cost? Lol in the context of the thread this just reads like something produced by a poorly programmed spam bot.

You asked for a fast kayak.  If the 120 PDL can reach 6 MPH, it's a fast kayak - just what you wanted.  The "I need to build it myself" part seems to have been because it appeared no one makes one...

Just sayin'.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011

I thought this was a joke
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Larry_MayII_HR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Here's a salty for sale in Bend, OR for $2,000 with extras: https://bend.craigslist.org/boa/d/bend-pedal-drive-ocean-malibu-12/7381771013.html

Sorry to cancel your winter project...

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

Larry_MayII_HR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
If you're gonna tell me that a 100lb, 12 foot long, 34" wide boat is the peak of efficiency, I'm just going to smile and nod; we clearly aren't living in the same reality.

I'd like to see if I can build something that suites my style of fishing. If I can't, whatever, I'll go hop in my Hobie Adventure.

Advice or anecdotes in furtherance of my goal is welcomed.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=91924.0

Winter project uncancelled.

Thanks! This is the sort of thing I was hoping for. I like what this guy did. He's where I got the idea for using the inflatable peddle well.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 12:09:18 PM by bogueYaker »

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=91924.0

Winter project uncancelled.

I have built that boat.  It is a sweet boat for paddling.  I plan to cut it open and put a mirage drive in as soon as I get space.  That being said, a Hobie Revolution is nearly as fast as the Revo 16. The difference is negligible. How do I know? I have owned both.  I got rid of the 16 because it was "squirrely" on the Columbia River in wind waves going opposite of the current. 

If you do go the build route, I can send you some links for sources of materials. I have built several for myself and others (Kayaks, canoes, pirogues, and even a jon boat).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 08:42:55 PM by craig »

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
That being said, a Hobie Revolution is nearly as fast as the Revo 16. The difference is negligible.
???

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
That being said, a Hobie Revolution is nearly as fast as the Revo 16. The difference is negligible.
???
I had both.  The 13 and 16.  Using a GPS and testing the top speed, the difference was not much and cruising speed was very close as well.  Just saying that if they discontinue the Revo 16, the 13 is a good substitute IMHO.  Sadly, more companies are not filling that void.  Everybody seems focused on bass boats.  I would love a Trident with a pedal drive. Such a sexy hull that can actually surf.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
Youtube showed me a path forward for building a lighter & sleeker peddle drive kayak:
(1) wire cut hull from EPS foam blocks
(2) fiberglass said hull

Won't be as durable as an HDPE kayak, I expect to run into some issues reinforcing the drivewell, and it won't have all the fancy bells and whistles that a Hobie has, but that's all okay with me.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 10:47:11 AM by bogueYaker »

anything