Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:45:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Getting ready for some unicorns and shad  (Read 3048 times)

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
With all of the 6 seasons happening in one day each for the last few weeks, decided to tie some shallow water unicorn of Oregon flies and with Mother's day coming up decided some shad flies would by a good thing too. Nothing to fancy just something to kill time.
Scott

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I think my unicorn is different from your unicorn. The flies look nice.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
unicorns...excellent.
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

• Date Registered: Jan 2022
Those look great.

Larry_MayII_HR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
The bead chain eyes on the shad darts are a nice touch. I prefer to put the weight on the line a few feet above the fly (or use a sinking fly line) to keep it in the strike zone just above the bottom. Weighted barbell eyes on shad flies are snaggier than unweighted flies. 

Also for gear fisherman - you can throw shad flies on spinning gear as well. Just add weight according to the current and depth you're fishing. IMO the least weight you can use to get to the bottom is best.

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Great tips, thank you!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
You see that second picture?  The little box with all the shad flies in it?  It arrived in the mail on Friday.  Woo-woo!

Except that guy sometimes forgets I can tie the darned things, so before anyone starts thinking I'm a spastic doofus, I'm going to claim they're just the downpayment on what I charge for fishing with him in 2022.

This'll do until August 1st, Mr. 12foot.

What really mystifies me is, in all the years we've fished together (or one of us fishes while the other one spends the day getting flies out of trees) - after all this time, I've never told that guy exactly where I live, and neither has he told me where he lives.

So how, I want to know, did he find my address?

I've failed at staying under the radar.  SIGH

(Thank you, Scott.  They're lovely.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 01:09:28 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Sometimes it's nice to have an actual sample in ones hand then a picture or recipe.
Scott

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
You see that second picture?  The little box with all the shad flies in it?  It arrived in the mail on Friday.  Woo-woo!

Except that guy sometimes forgets I can tie the darned things, so before anyone starts thinking I'm a spastic doofus, I'm going to claim they're just the downpayment on what I charge for fishing with him in 2022.

This'll do until August 1st, Mr. 12foot.

What really mystifies me is, in all the years we've fished together (or one of fishes while the other one spends the day getting flies out of trees) - after all this time, I've never told that guy exactly where I live, and neither has he told me where he lives.

So how, I want to know, did he find my address?

I've failed at staying under the radar.  SIGH

(Thank you, Scott.  They're lovely.)

The question is which is the one who fishes and who spends the day getting flies out of trees?  Just curious....
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Read, Grasshopper.  Read.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Ok, regarding shad darts : I have a bunch of them in one of my many bins of miscellaneous fishing items. And, I've never understood their purpose.Basically to me, they're just a small version of a jig head. 
What am I missing?  ( ok besides common sense,🙂)

And, Tinker , I'm jealous. Those look like great flies for a variety of fish.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 09:56:00 AM by [WR] »
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
They're for catching shad, silly.  Note that I didn't remark on anyones's common sense, just their silliness (or lack thereof).  When I tie them, I use a #8 heavy wire nymph hook and I think that's a stronger type hook than we'd usually use for common jig heads.  I could be wrong - I don't tie jig head flies because I'm in the Shinier-and-Fancier school of fly tying.

I'd tell you more about how that other guy ties them but that black box in the picture?  That's amazingly hard to open and it's fighting back against me at the moment.

What you might be more jealous of is the 5-page, hand-written surf12foot's Encyclopedia of Shad and Shad Flies that came with the little box.  And it's written in cursive, on college-ruled paper, without any cross-outs or do-overs!  Who knew that guy could do more than print block letters in crayon on wide-ruled pre-school paper?  I'm impressed.

(And yes indeed, Scott, it's going to take me a while to calm down about you having sleuthed-out my address.  I'm just getting started...)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Tinker, google earth is a marvelous map 😉 probably seen you doing yard work 😝

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
They're for catching shad, silly.  Note that I didn't remark on anyones's common sense, just their silliness (or lack thereof).  When I tie them, I use a #8 heavy wire nymph hook and I think that's a stronger type hook than we'd usually use for common jig heads.  I could be wrong - I don't tie jig head flies because I'm in the Shinier-and-Fancier school of fly tying.

I'd tell you more about how that other guy ties them but that black box in the picture?  That's amazingly hard to open and it's fighting back against me at the moment.

What you might be more jealous of is the 5-page, hand-written surf12foot's Encyclopedia of Shad and Shad Flies that came with the little box.  And it's written in cursive, on college-ruled paper, without any cross-outs or do-overs!  Who knew that guy could do more than print block letters in crayon on wide-ruled pre-school paper?  I'm impressed.

(And yes indeed, Scott, it's going to take me a while to calm down about you having sleuthed-out my address.  I'm just getting started...)

Well his writing style might prove he was never a Marine...... :walk:
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Tinker, google earth is a marvelous map 😉 probably seen you doing yard work 😝

Yard work?  You mean like working in the yard?  Whatever are you talking about?  Are you punking me?