Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:43:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Line counter reel advice  (Read 1984 times)

Yakingaway

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2021
Hello everybody,

Quick question. When I try to get a line counter reel for the yak shopkeepers advice against it because "in saltwater it would break soon", yet I see most videos of people trolling for salmon in a yak using them (which makes sense because controlling depth without them is very hard).

What do you guys do? and if you use a reel that works well and it is lasting, which brand/model do you use?

Thanks in advance!

Yakingaway

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Line counters are prone to breaking and I'm sure salt water doesn't help their longevity any, BUT many people use them (me included) and if you take care of your gear then it'll last that much longer.  I've been using a cheap Cabela's line counter (in the salt) for a number of years now and it's still going strong.  Like all things, sometimes you'll get a gem and sometimes you'll get a lemon, but I plan to get more line counters in the future when needed.
Just my 2 cents.

Yakingaway

• Plankton
Thank you, BentRod! I do have one of those cabellas plastic line counters. They work but mine is a bit finicky and the line often 'jumps out' ...but I am still new at using it and I may be doing it wrong.

Appreciate the feedback!

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I use an Okuma Cold water low profile line counter.  I have been very happy with it.  I have used mine for years in both saltwater and fresh.  I try to avoid dunking the reel in the saltwater and also don’t cast with the line counter reel.  It has a good drag and I haven’t had any problem.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Yakingaway

• Plankton
Thank you, Nobaddays! I appreciate the feedback!

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I've been using an Okuma Coldwater SS low profile for four years now, and it's still strong. Line counter works great. I don't cast with it, it's almost entirely dedicated to salmon trolling and mooching. I just give it a rinse with the garden hose after each trip. When rinsing the reel with the hose, just give it a light rinse--don't spray it at full blast like you're power washing it. If you spray it at full blast, the water pressure can foul up the gears inside the line counter.
aMayesing Bros.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I am also on the Okuma Coldwater 350 LP line counter band wagon, trolling and mooching, I have 2 of them. BiMart usually has them at a good price.
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Yakingaway

• Plankton
THANK YOU, Okuma Coldwater low profile it will be then!

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I been using the Okuma Coldwater 203 for about 3 years with no issues.  Also use it for Sturgeon and Lings.

BigFishy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
Ocuma Coldwater low profile Stainless steel, the version with dark finish (for salt) I am very happy with it. My buddy bought a Shimano Tekota at the same time ($50 more) and the second trip his line counter got jammed. He replaced it under warranty and got a second one. Within half a dozen trips the line counter on a second reel broke :-( My Coldwater also has much more mileage and still runs strong.
2021 Hobie Outback

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I'm a lil jealous of all you rockin the Coldwaters!
My budget being tight, I have an old, secondhand Okuma Convector and a newer Magda (not Pro).
I have no idea how old the Convector is, got it from an old salt on Craigslist. I've yardsaled with it twice, and a few trips later, the line counter stopped working. I took it apart, cleaned it a bit with a q-tip, and now works great.

My only gripe with the Magda, is the star drag adjustment does not have the click feature, to keep it in place. It's easy to bump it and accidentally tighten or loosen the drag. Otherwise, I am very happy with the reel.
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
My experience is opposite from BigFishy's....
The line counter on my first low profile Coldwater lasted about two years. Then it quickly changed from not working intermittently to not working at all. I tried to take it apart a few times and fix the counter but that did not help. I nevertheless bought another LP Coldwater (for my wife this time). Here the counter stopped working within a year. Both reels were only used for trolling and jigging, never casting. Always rinsed after fishing salt water.
I switched to a Shimano Tekota and no issues at all with it. Have it for 1.5 years now...Absolutely love that reel!
But i know that not everyone had good experiences with the Tekota and I also know that in general people are very happy with the Coldwaters.
So I  guess i simply had bad luck.
While prices of everything has gone up lately, this surely seems true for the Coldwater reels. The days that you picked one up for 90$ or even 80$ seem over.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I used a Penn Warfare LC for maybe a season and a half -- towards the end, the LC was getting pretty unreliable. However, I'm not the best at rinsing reels after each use, and I never once stripped it and cleaned it.

After the Penn, I shifted to using metered line. I primarily shifted to using metered line for jigging, but have also used it for downrigging and for dragging cannonball weights in front of a flasher. Bottom line -- as long as you can count, are capable of basic multiplication and addition, and have decently functioning memory, metered line works great. The one drawback I've noticed is that after a season of hard fishing, the line fades a little bit. Not so much that it prevents use, but the fade is noticeable.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
My experience is opposite from BigFishy's....
The line counter on my first low profile Coldwater lasted about two years. Then it quickly changed from not working intermittently to not working at all. I tried to take it apart a few times and fix the counter but that did not help. I nevertheless bought another LP Coldwater (for my wife this time). Here the counter stopped working within a year. Both reels were only used for trolling and jigging, never casting. Always rinsed after fishing salt water.
I switched to a Shimano Tekota and no issues at all with it. Have it for 1.5 years now...Absolutely love that reel!
But i know that not everyone had good experiences with the Tekota and I also know that in general people are very happy with the Coldwaters.
So I  guess i simply had bad luck.
While prices of everything has gone up lately, this surely seems true for the Coldwater reels. The days that you picked one up for 90$ or even 80$ seem over.

I have two Coldwaters and both line counters started getting wonky. Work sometimes, not others. Thought I was screwed. I put them on their side on the workbench and sprayed a small bit of CorrosionX at the base of the reset button. Let it sit for a day and then a tiny bit of spray lubricant and they both now work perfectly. Other than that, they have been perfect and take the abuse I subject them to.
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Yakingaway

• Plankton

anything