Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Late season Port Angeles crabbing report  (Read 1553 times)

Eric B

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2013
After messing around dropping rings off the pier and only catching rock crabs, I wanted to see if any keeper dungies were around in the harbor, so Sat AM I paddled out and dropped pots among the others out there in the harbor straight off the pier.

The two pots were pretty loaded a few hours later, but it was all female dungies and more rock crab except for one jumbo keeper.

Upon checking sat morning, both pots had been opened, (three clips un clipped), but there was still a keeper in one pot.  And just tons more rock crab and female dungies after a couple more hours.

A lot of work for two dungies, but all in all a good time… and two big dungies is still quite a feast.

Weather was delightful, and the sea scouts were out doing their thing on Sunday.

Also had a shrimp flopping around on top of one pot at one point.  It would be fun to catch a load of those…. Anyone figure out kayak-friendly shrimp pots?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 10:28:19 AM by Eric B »

Eric B

• Krill
The meat from one 7.25” crab.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Eric, if you score some larger rock crabs, those are worth keeping. I caught some monster rockies back in HMB, and they were some good eating crabs.
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Walmart here in Alaska carries frozen red rock crab claws and sometimes legs & claws in their frozen seafood case. Haven't tried them as their price is as high as dungies. After 32 years of closed dungeness crabbing for personal and commercial fishers on the Kenai Peninsula they still have not recovered enough for even a minimal open harvest season.   I am jealous of WA and OR who still have dungeness fisheries that are sustaining themselves.

It looks like a disaster has occurred in our North Pacific/Bering Sea king crab and snow crab fisheries. F&G has severely reduced harvest levels these past two years. Might not even open at all this winter. King crab going for $45-60/lb up here now in store and $99/lb for online ordering.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Eric B

• Krill
Eric, if you score some larger rock crabs, those are worth keeping. I caught some monster rockies back in HMB, and they were some good eating crabs.

Thanks, yea the reds are good eating, but I kind of feel bad harvesting reds just for the claws and legs when dungies are SO much meatier, and sweeter, too.m

Looking forward to winter season!

Here’s a nice red I caught by hand in the shallows.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 09:24:10 AM by Eric B »

MechAndy

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jan 2019
Hi guys,
Nice to see some NorCal (and Alaska) kayakers up here that go after Dungies on kayaks.
My local buddies think I’m nuts and think “it’s a California thing” as they shake their heads.

I’m an old NorCal kayaker that only has used a kayak for crab up here.
I go out several times a week mainly solo.

My honey hole booms at the beginning of the season and then at the end the pots are full of females and shorts mostly.

They said they would make an announcement about winter season by the end of this month.
I am ready.