Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Rockfish descending devices  (Read 1472 times)

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Hey everyone, On my last trip out bottom fishing out of Depoe Bay I was fully un-prepaired to deal with fish that needed to be sent back down to the deep water. Fortunately Clayman was nearby and hooked me up. That was poor planning on my part and I should have caught that during my gear checks. Descending devices are required to be ready for use on each boat or kayak that is on the ocean. In shallow water it isn't needed often, but still I believe a requirement.

Anyway, I ordered a new descending device from the fine folks at oceaned.org

They will not only send you a free device, but also laminated fish ID cards that can help while on the Water.

Thank you Oceaned.org!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I got the same one and used an ancient level wind and just the reel seat from an old broken rod. Works great, but it is always and bit of a cluster when I have to use it :)

Didn't get the card which would have been nice. Not all of us a fishery biologists like our man Clayman.
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Glad I could assist that day. Yeah, gotta have a descending device onboard when bottomfishing, regardless of your fishing depth. I've never been checked by OSP for a descending device, but then again, I've never been checked by OSP for anything in the five years I've fished out of the Depoe area.

I have a 32 oz ball attached to my Shelton descender, and it sits at the ready in my crate. When I pull up a fish that needs to be descended, I can just clip the device onto the corkscrew swivel on my "heavy" rod, hook the fish, and drop em down. Some of the bigger yelloweye require more weight, in which case I'll tack on additional cannonballs til the fish descends.

Many days, I never use the descender. Other days, I'll end up using it several times, and almost always on yelloweye. Indicates to me that yelloweye move around a lot, and I need to be ready to deal with them anytime I'm fishing beyond 90-100 feet. If I hook more than one yelloweye fishing the same patch of reef, I try to move someplace else to avoid them.

I like that ID card!
aMayesing Bros.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Ocean.org started giving those the descending devices and ID cards out years go.  Great organization.

I took a 4" or 5" length of 1" diameter granny walker aluminum tubing and filled it with clean lead.  This gives a it a slim profile to fit in my Hobie side pocket, as well as helps it dive with less drag.

Stored in a length of bicycle tubing so I quit stabbing myself with the sharp point.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
you can always make your own if stuck in a pinch.

Use a large hook (barbless and two swivels.  Tie the hook (I use an egg loop) in the middle of two swivels.  Attach the top swivel to your line with the hook poit ponted towards the bttom of the ocean.  Then attach a big weight (something heavy enogh to properly descend the fish).  Let it down and then jerk up and the barbless hook will come out due to its orientation and the fish are let free. 

2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I also have received the Oceaned.org release, nice sticker for the kayak (No Floaters), and the fish ID charts. I used their design as a template to make up another half dozen of my own homemade releases out of 1/16" welding rod with the flux chipped off and wired brushed clean.

Always handy to have spares or to give away to a fellow angler who didn't know that here in Alaska we too all must have a deep water release if you are fishing in the saltwater. Even if you are not fishing for rockfish, e.g. just salmon or halibut fishing. Still must have them onboard.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Always handy to have spares or to give away to a fellow angler...

Good on you!  I have an extra Shelton descender in the truck for the same reason.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...