Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:02:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:33:39 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: KayakFishingMagazine.net articles  (Read 14431 times)

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Maybe Jim will donate some of his old yaks to HOW. Anyone got a connection there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Maybe Jim will donate some of his old yaks to HOW. Anyone got a connection there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jim@kayak4fish.com

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
RAM has announced a new product to make attaching your videocam to an affordable, extendable painter's pole easier than ever.

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/gear-guide/91-new-kayak-gear/1719-ramr-tele-mount-telescoping-camera-pole-kit.html

-Allen

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Hey guys,

We pushed out our latest Newsletter on Father's Day.  It includes our trip report from the Islander Tripa, Dan's DIY transducer scupper mount, Jim's raptor sail kit, as we'll as Rob Grasso's farewell to his father.  Hmmm ... we're a litte NCKA heavy in this one.  Going to have to spread out a bit.

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/home/latest-newsletter/archive/view.html

Anyways, if you're not subscribed to the newsletter and would like to be, you can do so on the front page of KayakFishingMagazine.net.  If you are subscribed, but didn't receive it, consider adding info@kayakfishingmagazine.net to your contacts list.

Also, our facebook page has been exploding recently, adding ~250 likes a week for the past 6-7 weeks.  If you're on facebook, consider liking us.  Thanks.

-Allen

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
Speaking of the above-mentioned Facebook...

We just posted a teaser pic of the new Wildy boat.  So dark, handsome, and mysterious. With regard to the boat's design and niche, we want to know what people are predicting. Facebook offers a nice arena for said discussion.  Head on over, toss us a like, and weigh in with your thoughts.
Blog/Photo Dump

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
The article on the mother ship trip was a great read Allen. I was pulling for Pat the entire time when he hooked up on that special Rapala.
My first time in the salt (with Lingbanger) was very similar, an almost 2 hour fight with a mystery monster on a heavy bass rod and 15lb braid low profile bait faster. My experience ended quite differently though, :(
That brought back some fun memories.
What was the deal with the yellowtail? Sounds like they were there, just lock jawed?
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
What was the deal with the yellowtail? Sounds like they were there, just lock jawed?

It's just a tad early on the yellowtail.  The pods really start coming though in a few weeks.  There are some homeguards that stick around all year, but not a whole lot of them.

-Allen

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon

It's just a tad early on the yellowtail.  The pods really start coming though in a few weeks.  There are some homeguards that stick around all year, but not a whole lot of them.

-Allen

Are swim baits or buzz bombs the preferred method or are you guys trolling with bait for them?
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

-Allen

Are swim baits or buzz bombs the preferred method or are you guys trolling with bait for them?

Live bait is my preferred method.  I usually soak a live bait if I have it, while yoyo-ing an iron.   If you see them up top, tossing surface irons works too, and is really fun way to hook up.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
BTW, the story I didn't tell on KFM was my day out at La Jolla on the Friday morning before the trip. 

It was a humbling experience.  Bait was easy to make just past the closure buoys.  A mix of greenbacks, spanish, and large dines.  Worked our way out to the spot.  The area was loaded with bait (spanish), but no one was seeing any yellowtail.  Bushy had a good take, but no love on the hookset.  I was harassed by the sea lions.  Slowly one by one the PB's started leaving as well as the few kayaks that were out there.  I saw some boils in close to the kelp, and decided WTF, nothing else is going on.  Got to the area for nothing.  I convinced myself they were calicos, too small to take the large macks we were offereing.  Fishkraft decided to go in and gives me remaining bait as I was on my last mack.  No sooner did he leave and I hooked up on a runner.  It made a beeline to the kelp and popped off in 30 seconds.    :'(  While I was reeling on my line, my other rod goes off, right into the kelp.    >:(  Tried to work it free, but no bueno.  Got my hook back, pinned a bait back on it and sent it back down.  Seconds later and it was on a run.  Fuck!  Kelped again.   >:(  >:(   I could feel the fish still on, so spent some time trying to work it free.  Eventually, I stopped feeling the fish and ended up breaking off the line.     :'( >:( :'(   

The best part of the day was my surf in.  I caught a nice wave and started picking up speed.  Perhaps a little too much speed as my bow started perling.  Dug the brace in and side surfed the rest of the way in.  Now that was fun!

-Allen

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
We must be getting legit; we're running a contest! You know that wet hunk of plastic under your butt?  Your trusty steed? The pedal/paddle-powered bundle of love that takes you to and from your beloved fishing grounds? Love it or loath it, you should write a review of it.  And add it to KFM's growing database of kayak reviews. Got some obscure craft that's not in said database?  Get in touch with polepole or myself; we'll get it in there.  Anyway, if you add a review by the end of July, you'll be entered to win a sweet new PFD.  Details below:

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/342-kfm-blog/1750-win-an-extrasport-striper-pfd-for-adding-a-fishing-kayak-review.html
Blog/Photo Dump

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon
Review submitted AJ.
RR's Channel         

- Jeff Foxworthy

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
New article about the Old Town Predator 13 John Day River trip...

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/102-current-issue-featured-articles-on-kayak-fishing/1752-kayak-canyon-bassin.html

Lot's of cool photos from professional photographer Jason Arnold in the article.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

anything