Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 11:07:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:14:53 PM]

[Today at 08:59:01 PM]

[Today at 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: I don't care for the LIKE buttons  (Read 2822 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Not really interested in what others think of a thread or a post here or anywhere else.  I know they've been requested, but they don't seem useful or an improvement.  Just sayin'.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I agree.
Note I did not LIKE Tinker's post.
Something less obtrusive may be acceptable.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Do we get extra kudos, points, or gold stars if we get the most likes?! Blah I don’t give a rusty lincod’s azz if anyone likes my post.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Do we get extra kudos, points, or gold stars if we get the most likes?! Blah I don’t give a rusty lincod’s azz if anyone likes my post.
You get none of that.  But providers remember everything you LIKE or DISLIKE and make money selling the info.  :banjo:

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Yeah, i don't think we need a like feature. Members pretty much tell you whether or not they like your posts...  more human involvement like we already have, and less impersonal features give this site the character lacking elsewhere.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Interesting perspectives.  I wonder what the rest of the regular members think.

Mark
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
It's an efficient way to show support of an idea when you have nothing to say but "I agree".  Some are more verbose than others and probably enjoy writing it out long form.

If you're putting in a like button, how about adding a turd emoji button for someone writing bs.  >:D

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Like buttons don't come with a requirement for use. It doesn't seem to me like the layout is too cluttered and they won't fit.

It's an efficient way to show support of an idea when you have nothing to say but "I agree".  Some are more verbose than others and probably enjoy writing it out long form.

If you're putting in a like button, how about adding a turd emoji button for someone writing bs.  >:D

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Now where's the LIKE button for that comment? I'll second that. LOL

Out of the thousands of posts/comments I've read there have only been a handful (<15) that I actually wished there had been a like button. The LIKE icon that was briefly displayed was pretty ugly and detracting to be honest. It kinda grated on my nerves....visually speaking. The Thumbs Up or Down icons are a bit more subtle, especially in a gray or translucent color to fit the color skin of the forum.

The one obvious advantage to a Like option on a post is that a reader can use that means to offer their support or acknowledgement to a comment that won't trigger the message thread to be reposted in the Recent Topics column like what happens if you actually create a reply with even just a +1 or ^^^what he said comment.

I do a fair amount of revisiting a thread when it was posted as new, i.e. changed, but find only a sideline support comment added that didn't contribute to its message value for me.

Just my 2˘
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

LIKE!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013

LIKE!

See?  Short and sweet.  No button needed. 

Seriously, are we a bunch of folks seeking "likes" like a bunch of Facebookers?  Do we need a bit of positive personal reinforcement so we can sleep at night?  Will we win prizes for the most likes, or are we going to get advertising deals if we garner a million likes?  What other use is there for a pile of anonymous LIKES?

Brian can keep them if everyone wants them.  I think they're silly.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

What other use is there for a pile of anonymous LIKES?

There's this:

The one obvious advantage to a Like option on a post is that a reader can use that means to offer their support or acknowledgement to a comment that won't trigger the message thread to be reposted in the Recent Topics column like what happens if you actually create a reply with even just a +1 or ^^^what he said comment.

I do a fair amount of revisiting a thread when it was posted as new, i.e. changed, but find only a sideline support comment added that didn't contribute to its message value for me.

I make heavy use of the "recent topics" feature and the like button will make that feature even better, assuming folks actually use it instead of plus one-ing ^^^ etc.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

I make heavy use of the "recent topics" feature and the like button will make that feature even better, assuming folks actually use it instead of plus one-ing ^^^ etc.

I can't wait or another 6 years to +1 this post.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

I can't wait or another 6 years to +1 this post.
I say we +1 as many posts as we can just to get crash going 😈. It was nice fishing the bay when you was up here man.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
It was nice fishing the bay when you was up here man.

+1