Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:15:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: 2023 Sunset Bay Angler Of The Day Kayak Fishing Challenge  (Read 3392 times)

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
This year was about as nice of conditions anyone could ask for.  Good turnout for the tournament, somewhere around 40.  Lots of fish caught.  Evan caught six species and won…again.  Quite a few people got five species.  Overall, it was another great event.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Evan Merz took home the 1st place $350 award from Waxer's Surf & Skate in Coos Bay as well as a Tica Zatara 4000 spinning reel donated by Mazama Sporting Goods in Eugene. Those bonker trophies were beauties also. Thanks to Evan & his Dad for those.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I think my wife and I are the only people in the state who still "paddle" a kayak rather than pedal. I believe this was about the 6th or 7th time we have entered SBAOTD and we had by far the best conditions yet with fairly calm waters. Right away the wife started catching rockfish, outfishing me 2 to 1 by the end of our outing. It ended up being a rockfish meat run for us although I did get a greenling as well. It's kind of hard to compete with some of these characters anyway. We were glad to have something to show and put in the freezer.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
We had a great time and, as others have mentioned, the conditions were really prime. HUGE thanks to all of the sponsors and the volunteers who make this happen. You wouldn't believe the prize tables - rods, reels, batteries, dive gear, a smoker, paddle, clothing, lures, the list goes on. Oh, and did I mention a whole kayak? My understanding is we raised around $3300 for charity - nice work!

A fun story from the tournament - I only beat Mrs. Redbeard by 1 point! That's a fraction of an inch, crazy. I really thought she had me beat. That's OK, though, she's placed 2nd before (2017?), so she's still ahead. I'm looking forward to being eligible for the tournament of champions next year.

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
We had a great time and, as others have mentioned, the conditions were really prime. HUGE thanks to all of the sponsors and the volunteers who make this happen. You wouldn't believe the prize tables - rods, reels, batteries, dive gear, a smoker, paddle, clothing, lures, the list goes on. Oh, and did I mention a whole kayak? My understanding is we raised around $3300 for charity - nice work!

A fun story from the tournament - I only beat Mrs. Redbeard by 1 point! That's a fraction of an inch, crazy. I really thought she had me beat. That's OK, though, she's placed 2nd before (2017?), so she's still ahead. I'm looking forward to being eligible for the tournament of champions next year.

3rd place winner Captain Redbeard showing the $100 award from Waxer's Surf & Skate in Coos Bay, the Master Built electric smoker donated by Cabela's in Eugene and the 3rd place trophy bonker. Congrats Capt'n!

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Congratulations to Wyatt Wallace for winning the Big Fish category with a 30.5" lingcod! Wyatt selected the 6' Saltwater 604 rod donated by Stryker Rods & Blanks in Eugene. Great choice Wyatt!

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
MonkeyFist - Is this you with the WorkSharp sharpening kit, Stealth rod holder & YakAttack gift certificate?

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Guilty as charged
Great to see you there & thanks for your support!

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
First donation for the 2024 SBAOTD. Thank you Dr. Steelhead Catcher!

anything