Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 11:18:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:08:31 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[Today at 06:34:53 AM]

by jed
[Today at 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Tank Well Hatch T13  (Read 6279 times)

Cutthroat Chris

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
There's a molded spot for a hatch in the tank well of my T13 and I'd like to put a hatch there so I can stow stuff in the back of my boat. I've never installed a hatch before so I'm wondering how to measure it for the hatch and what type of hatch to install. Has anybody done this? If so, what size/style did you use?  Pics are good if you have them. Thanks.
Chris

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
If the hatch came with a gasket, use that as a template to trace the inside of it with a sharpie. If not, then just hold or tape the actual hatch up to the area you want it installed at, then just trace the inside with a sharpie. cut using a jigsaw or something to that effect around the marker line(it doesn't have to be a perfect circle, but do your best). Once you have that circle cut out, save it. You may need that down the road to patch a hole or something, you never know. Place the hatch inside the hole you just cut and use your sharpie again to mark the holes for the rivets and drill the holes out. If you're using stainless hardware, use wood screws as they have nice big jagged threads, or stainless bolts with washers and locking washers. It's always a good idea to tie the hatch in to the inside so you don't loose the hatch over the side accidently. You can get creative here and use some heavy mono with a swivel attached to the middle of the inside of the hatch cover or something like that.
Be patient and take your time. Hope this helps!

-Jeff

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Cutthroat Chris

• Lingcod
Thanks Jeff. I'm glad you posted that cause it was my next question.

What I really need to know is how to measure the molded spot so I can buy a hatch in the first place. To measure the diameter I need two points to measure from, A and B. I just don't know where A and B are on the molded spot. I'm assuming I need to measure the widest spot on the flat part but I wanna make sure before I start cuttin'. I just don't wanna buy a 6" hatch and have it be too wide to fit.

Hopefully somebody with a T13 will chime in. :)
Chris

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
It's typically used to access the stern for rudder installation. I'll check and see if they just sell the hatch kit.

Brian

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
oh, right, right... I guess I should make sure I read your full question before trying to answer it! D'oh!
I know they sell them that size, I've seen OK kayaks with that very hatch you're talking about. I know I saw some at Allen's Marine in Salem on Commercial St.. My advice would be just to measure the entire diameter of that round area, and then keep that written down or something and look for something that fits if you can find someone local that sells them. I think they sell them in even number inch sizes. I think Allens marine sells the 8" size and another smaller size that I'm guessing was a 6"... Or maybe it was a 12" and a 8"... I know I've even seen 4" hatches somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 03:03:16 PM by yaknitup »

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
The after market hatches i have seen are usually 4", 6", 8", 10" or 12" inches.  Joe's Sports has some in the boat supply section.  They appear to be of a good quality.  Most brands have installation instructions on their websites.  I recently purchased a variety of 1/4 turn Sea Dog hatches from www.duckworksbbs.com before I found hatches at Joe's.  They are for a kayak I am building and a cedar strip canoe I am finishing up.  They seem to be good hatches.

Regards,

Craig

OutbackRoy

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
 This one is on my trident 15. '07 it is 6 3/4 overall,,

Cutthroat Chris

• Lingcod
I just measured mine and the flat spot is 6" diameter. Do I buy a 5" hatch or a 6" hatch? If I buy a 6" hatch will that 6" measurement include the outside ring or just the cover? Really appreciate the help!
Chris

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I just measured mine and the flat spot is 6" diameter. Do I buy a 5" hatch or a 6" hatch? If I buy a 6" hatch will that 6" measurement include the outside ring or just the cover? Really appreciate the help!

I believe you actually need a 4 inch hatch ... inside diameter measurements are used.

-Allen

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
just hear back from OK, and they don't make a specific hatch that will fit. looks like a few others have pointed you in the right directions for doing it yourself. have fun!

Cutthroat Chris

• Lingcod
I really appreciate your help guys! Thank you
Chris

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
chris, a word of warning / caution..that roundel blank is there for the rudder installation and service on your trident..

be careful about what you put inside the hull from the seat on back.. on my T15, things seem to get a little pinched or snug fitting if they are high profile ...but maybe thats cause my fat tuchis pushes down in the seatwell a bit more than most ::)

stick with the sizes that alkasazi and polepole are touting. carefully follow the instructions included with the rudder kit.. i've got a rod pod to do up on the new T13 i just picked up..and yeah, save the cast off for welding in as patches some time down the line
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I believe you actually need a 4 inch hatch ... inside diameter measurements are used.

-Allen

Allen is right.

I have a 4"  1/4 turn hatch in front of me and the outer diameter of the mounting ring it screws into measures 6 1/8".

Cutthroat Chris

• Lingcod
carefully follow the instructions included with the rudder kit..

Thanks for the info WR. I'm actually wanting to install only the hatch and not a rudder kit. I may go the rudder route down the road sometime but I don't wanna rely on it as a newb. I just figure I might as well utilize the small space back there but a 4" hatch is tiiiiiiny. I'll prolly still do it though lol.

craig, thanks for the verification.
Chris

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
carefully follow the instructions included with the rudder kit..

Thanks for the info WR. I'm actually wanting to install only the hatch and not a rudder kit. I may go the rudder route down the road sometime but I don't wanna rely on it as a newb. I just figure I might as well utilize the small space back there but a 4" hatch is tiiiiiiny. I'll prolly still do it though lol.

craig, thanks for the verification.

I did it on the back of my T15.  Never really use it though, as like you say, the opening is tiny.  I recall someone putting a hatch on the top deck of the rear.  I don't recall if it was bigger than the 4 inchers.

-Allen