Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:27:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: More Downrigger talk  (Read 13817 times)

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Excellent work KT! But you're gonna have to get rid of that steel wire.. >:D BTW, what size ball you using? The lake troller has a max capacity of 4#. Love the hootchie. Capt. downrigger is the man!!

Z

2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I got a spool of Power PRo (65#) to put on that reel, over the wire so I maintain about a foot per turn.  I bought a 4# Cannon vinyl-coated ball with fin, the black one with a sparkly stickon.  Have always used finned balls, years ago I tried the 14# pancake weights for my Arima setup with Scotty electric and liked them but they're now VERY pricey.  Cap't Downrigger said he was gonna try QMH this weekend, I'll hafta email him and get a fishin report.  Thought I;d see him but I didn't get out today.
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
I got a spool of Power PRo (65#) to put on that reel, over the wire so I maintain about a foot per turn.  I bought a 4# Cannon vinyl-coated ball with fin, the black one with a sparkly stickon.  Have always used finned balls, years ago I tried the 14# pancake weights for my Arima setup with Scotty electric and liked them but they're now VERY pricey.  Cap't Downrigger said he was gonna try QMH this weekend, I'll hafta email him and get a fishin report.  Thought I;d see him but I didn't get out today.

I'm not sure if you got the sailing rudder and turbo fin upgrade for your Revo but if you find that you're having trouble running straight w/ the downrigger deployed they can help a lot. PM me if you have any DR issues. Matter a fact, let's go downriggin'!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I did get the turbo fins and the big rudder, makes a real difference.
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
A real downrigger clip is worth it Roy (this from one who hates buying anything)
Again I REALLY like the Pro-Release. I either got it at Fisherman's Marine or Sportsman's Warehouse for somewhere around $15 to $20. It's worth finding. The trip tension is VERY adjustable and almost independent of the tension on the rod. In fact it's kinda hard to trip it from above. Here a link to a Salmon U primer:

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/pr_product_reviews_pro_release.html

Once again, I've been the stuntman who's found a way to tangle my line in the Hobie drive much more than once. ::) But I asked for it with the way I had the DR mounted in front next to the drive (well daaah).  The rod was on the other side and the release went under the boat to clip on. The idea was to have the weight on the centerline and the DR in easy reach. It worked great except that it was PITA catching the release under the boat with the paddle and the fact that the drive occupied the center line as well. This would be much less of a problem on a paddle boat. The upside is that it's relativly easy to pull the drive and untangle the line (lines).
(Behind the seat is better)

Here's a link to a report on the 1st time I met Zee and has a couple of pics of the DR in use.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,460.0.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:49:56 AM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Couldn't a downrigger do dual duty as an anchor system when on lakes?  The anchor I use right now is only 4# if I remember right.   

Couldn't a downrigger do dual duty as an anchor system when on lakes? 

yep ;D

But it can be a bit more cumbersome than you'd think.

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
so if the DR is behind you doesn't the fishing line rub on the DR line? fishing line to the outside or inside of DR line?. Guess that depends on the length of the pole?
See ya on the water..
Roy

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
so if the DR is behind you doesn't the fishing line rub on the DR line? fishing line to the outside or inside of DR line?. Guess that depends on the length of the pole?

The line from your pole will have lot's more blowback than the DR line so they should be pretty far apart even before the hit the water.

Z

2010 Angler Of The Year

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Just picked up a pro-release at Englund marine. It was only $10.60. Cheaper then the scotty simple clip ones... ???
See ya on the water..
Roy

Just picked up a pro-release at Englund marine. It was only $10.60. Cheaper then the scotty simple clip ones... ???

Cool! I thought it was a bit cheaper, but it eases the sticker shock if I sent you in high. ;D
Actually, I think the price went down from when I first bought one. I bought a second a year or so ago and I believe they shipped the manufacturing offshore.

anything