Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 12:28:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 30, 2024, 05:56:41 PM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:59:33 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:40:13 AM]

by Spot
[May 29, 2024, 11:32:10 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 12:18:48 PM]

[May 28, 2024, 07:37:19 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 06:19:06 AM]

[May 27, 2024, 09:56:01 PM]

by PNW
[May 27, 2024, 03:12:21 PM]

[May 27, 2024, 07:56:46 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Ram Anchor Mount  (Read 3402 times)

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Has anyone tried the Ram anchor mount that's advertized thru that manufacturer our
website? i haven't seen any reviews and am not quite sure what to look for. I'd like to use my yak in the local rivers,sloughs  and shallow salt water anchoring. any commentary would be greatly appreciated.I want to be SAFE as possible and have seen many setups here but don't understand the priciples involved.
Rich

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
This one..
http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/AnchorMount/tabid/224/Default.aspx

I'd be a little leary of the locking mechanism in fast water.  I'm assuming there is a locking mechanism given that it's called an "Anchor Line Lock".  You want to have an option to ditch your anchor if need be and if it's hard to unlock while sitting while the line is under tension that could be a problem.  Having the locking mechanism (i.e. a cleat) near your seat and a simple pulley and some line guides at your stern seems like a better option.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Most people here, i think, would suggest mounting at the bow, rather than the stern, so that you might more easily see trees/boats/homes/bodies floating down the river and about to hit your yak.

Ram is HORRIBLE about instructions, but, IIRC, their anchor mount works similarly to window blinds. Pull to tighten, pull and release sideways to loosen.  I had one of these anchor mounts, but only for 30seconds before it traded it for a Not-So-Water-Proof-Aqua-Box (don't ask me or my 3 week old iPhone about that)...

Rich, I think you'd see that a common anchor trolley system is cheaper, easier to install, and much more safe.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:29:24 PM by The Nothing »
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Hey guys.Thanks for the input on anchor systems.I've been out of the loop for a couple weeks dealing with a sick wife,work,etc(LIFE) and am thinking strongly toward the trolley syst.
Thanks Rich

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Most people here, i think, would suggest mounting at the bow, rather than the stern, so that you might more easily see trees/boats/homes/bodies floating down the river and about to hit your yak.

I'm one of those who would dissent from popular opinion.  I like anchoring off the stern so that I'm pointing toward where I'm fishing.  I've been hit by logs and misc. debris and never felt unsafe. 

I believe that kykfshr uses the scotty anchor mount as a drift anchor.  If I remember correctly, he disabled the locking mechanism and used a camcleat. 

The one drawback to these anchor systems when applied to sturgeon fishing is that they don't allow for a quick release.  If you're fighting a fish or dodging a barge, you want to be able to dump and run.  Take a look at the "Bsteves Anchor System" on the Home page.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

I'm one of those who would dissent from popular opinion.  I like anchoring off the stern so that I'm pointing toward where I'm fishing.  I've been hit by logs and misc. debris and never felt unsafe. 

Me too ... fellow dissenter here.

-Allen

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
 :D
i posted that, and i too prefer the stern. pretty sure i read here that bow is "safer"
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I said it was "safer".   But, considering that I don't have any data to back that up it's only opinion.  All I know is I've seen some really big trees floating down the Willamette that I'd rather see first before I find out if I can take a hit on anchor.   I agree though that fishing is easier with the anchor on the stern.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh