Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:51:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:01:45 PM]

[Today at 12:53:59 PM]

[Today at 12:52:48 PM]

[Today at 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Resurrection Bay - Aug 25  (Read 1714 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Starting to get out a tad more.  On my way to the launch site at Miller's landing, I was surprised to see over 20 boats working Lowell Pt which is very close to the city of Seward.  I launched and started peddling my way out and the reason became obvious...there were cohos hopping out of the water everywhere!  I'm thinking this will be an easy limit of 6!  After six hours of which I spent half of it trolling for cohos the total cohos in the yak...ZERO.  Arghhh.  A few good take downs but I could not hook up consistently.  Not sure why.  Cohos are widely regarded (maybe after pinks) to be the most aggressive and therefore the easiest of the salmon species to catch in saltwater.  They are eating machines.  The closest I came to getting a salmon in my yak was when one jumped out of the water, teetered on the edge of my yak, and fell out the wrong side. 

I guess the good news is that the silvers have come into kayaking and shore fishing distance.  Now I just have to figure out what I am doing wrong.  It's not like I haven't done this before but its been a very starnge year for salmon here in south central Alaska.

Did manage a few nice Pacific Cod that I kept for fish and chips and one nice quillback rockfish.  Ran into Akfishergal and Dudemandude.  I was the fifth wheel in a sense as both of them had their spouses along on the water.  Jealous they can get their spouses to accompany them.  I'm working on that.  That HAS to lead to more time on the water...or at least less guilt that I'm on the water! lol.

For those using gopros, on a nice sunny day, check your lens often.  Mine fogged up in a hurry and a lot of my footage was hazy.  Never had a problem with that last year but this year I have had lots of footage wasted.  I bought those desiccant things but they never seem to last long when stored.  Maybe I just need to be more careful. 

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Let's see...  Kardinal didn't get any silvers. I sure didn't boat any silvers. What about DMD? Here's hoping the last one of us out there put some shiny cargo in the tank well.  Despite the lack of coho connection, it was a beautiful day on the water. We counted 8 otters -- and ever since their populations were so knocked down in the spill, I get a huge kick out of seeing them out doing their backstrokes.

I need to do a better job of preparing terminal tackle before launching. Some pre-tied leaders to change out from my now-standard Pro-Troll helmet would have been nice to have ready to slip onto my swivel. Problem was, it was so bright out that I wore my single lens sunglasses -- what I really needed were my bifocals, so I could see well enough to tie a knot while bobbing around out there. I ended up only changing out tackle after coming in for a quick bite and pit stop. Kardinal might have been jealous of my having a better-half paddling companion; I was jealous of his laser-perfected vision.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Silvers are notorious for throwing the hook----a couple days ago, we hooked 8 and landed 1 !!!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
no luck on the silvers, oh well, was nice to see you guys again. Next time but time is wasting away again. Back to work for me for 2 weeks. Good luck and stay safe!

anything