Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 04:28:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 20, 2024, 04:24:50 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 02:19:35 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 01:10:00 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:55:19 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Termination dust  (Read 1693 times)

BearToothClaw

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
It's showing up on the mountains already but that doesn't mean the fishing is over with. What are the chances we can all meet up somewhere? Its Friday night and I still haven't figured out where I want to go tomorrow morning. Seward, Whittier, Whisky Gulch,  Kenai Lake, Big Lake or some piss ant lake here in Anchorage. Like us paratroopers say in the Army I got nothin but air and opportunity and (shoop there goes the air). I have taken my PA out several times since my first EPIC failure and have been lovin it since. So I'm heading out tomorrow to waters undecided yet and hope we can all meet up before its to late. ;D

AKS2000

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2009
What a beautiful, yet sad sight... :(

JT

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
That termination dust is just the sign that the rainbow fishing is about to take off like gangbusters...  Hey, I'm heading over to Whittier for the afternoon. I peeked in on the web cam, and it's flat. The winds are supposed to kick up late tonight, but the day looks good.  I'd love to see that PA12 on the water...  want to go find some silvers? I think the Kenai is too turbid and high for 'bow hunting today.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Yup, summer is over folks!  But like AKfishergal says, that can be GOOD news!  I tried finger lake near Palmer Sunday.  I didn't land a single fish.  But I did have what felt like a few bruisers on.  Started with my trusty yo-zuri pin minnow.  Nothing.  Switched to an old favorite a krockadile spoon.  Nope. Tied on a pixie spoon for flasher and weight and tied on a large black and purple dali Lama fly and proceeded to get five strikes in quick order but I could not for the life of me keep them hooked.  But at least I found something that works.

This year so far has been a brutal fishing year for me and I think i know why.  I'm just not 100% into the game with all of the things going on around me.  I think like anything, you need to be focused on task at hand to optimize success.  Some years there are so many fish that it doesn't matter, this isn't one of them. 

My plans to the end of the year is to hit Homer on the weekends for feeder kings when I can (kids or wearther dependent), fill in with trips on the upper Kenai (maybe middle river).  I think that should keep me busy till November.  Then it might be time to break out the ice auger!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I'm not hanging up the Revo yet, Rudy.  Waiting for the 4 pm marine weather update to decide whether to meet the guys at Deep Creek tomorrow for a little halibut fishing. As long as the rivers are still flushing salmon carcasses, the mouths of Anchor, Deep and Ninilchik have pretty good prospects.

I didn't do much good Saturday out of Whittier -- though I saw lots of pinks near shore while I was landing. Ran into BearToothClaw who was fishing from shore after deciding that it was a little too sporty out there for the PA12.  He launched at the processing plant, and got down to Smitty's Cove before judging it better to land than test stability. The waves were standing up pretty good by the time I turned to return -- so much so that I mistook the spray from a whale as some unusual wind wave action until it repeated again and again and again. Not orcas, not belugas -- but in close, by the cruise ship terminal.  Humpback? Gray?  Just know that I think that's pretty cool.  Also, while mooching near the rookery I got close inspected by a seal with three pups. But all I wanted was the close inspection of a Buzz Bomb by some cohos. Not to be.

If the wind is too stiff tomorrow for Cook Inlet, I'll float my Aire on the Upper Kenai for rainbows instead.  I'll keep a heavier fly rod loaded just in case I see some silvers holding.   Should be nice and uncrowded -- especially if it's raining.  Like you, I'm not done fishing for 2012 -- and I'm very intrigued by reports of feeder kings in Shotgun Cove in late November, early December.  Dave thinks I'm certifiable.