Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 10:41:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Quicksand...do not step in it  (Read 3109 times)

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Well, Friday I went fishing at the coast and passed a milestone which was my first kayak-caught salmon, a small jack chinook. There is a picture of it on the other forum I participate in but it probably isn't worthy of two write ups. The part of the story I left out over there was my mishap. I was on a lonely stretch of tidewater up a creek and had to pee real bad (wearing waders)  so I pulled over to the edge. The tide was headed out and a lot of that blue amorphous mud was the beach. I probed it with the paddle and figured , "Yeah, Ok, doable."  Wrong. Got out and stood up. Immediately my right foot sinks up way over the boot and the left one not quite as deep. I sat my butt back down in the yak pronto with both feet firmly embedded in the earth and started to get those "I could die alone out here." kinds of thoughts. Well, after a lot of heaving I got my left foot out and back in the yak with a couple of pounds of mud to go with it. Right foot going nowhere. I thought I might have to at least jettison my boot which would have been bad since I had just bought the whole waders outfit. Then the light bulb came on and found that a paddle doubles as a shovel. After a bit of digging small lumps of clay from around my foot I made a hole big enough to get it free. Whew.  Back on the water I rinsed everything off best I could and eventually found a beach with a rocky substrate to do my business. The sad thing was that I had actually had the same experience the week before  but had not learned my lesson.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Well, Friday I went fishing at the coast and passed a milestone which was my first kayak-caught salmon, a small jack chinook. There is a picture of it on the other forum I participate in but it probably isn't worthy of two write ups. The part of the story I left out over there was my mishap. I was on a lonely stretch of tidewater up a creek and had to pee real bad (wearing waders)  so I pulled over to the edge. The tide was headed out and a lot of that blue amorphous mud was the beach. I probed it with the paddle and figured , "Yeah, Ok, doable."  Wrong. Got out and stood up. Immediately my right foot sinks up way over the boot and the left one not quite as deep. I sat my butt back down in the yak pronto with both feet firmly embedded in the earth and started to get those "I could die alone out here." kinds of thoughts. Well, after a lot of heaving I got my left foot out and back in the yak with a couple of pounds of mud to go with it. Right foot going nowhere. I thought I might have to at least jettison my boot which would have been bad since I had just bought the whole waders outfit. Then the light bulb came on and found that a paddle doubles as a shovel. After a bit of digging small lumps of clay from around my foot I made a hole big enough to get it free. Whew.  Back on the water I rinsed everything off best I could and eventually found a beach with a rocky substrate to do my business. The sad thing was that I had actually had the same experience the week before  but had not learned my lesson.
I think the first Salmon in your boat is 100% worthy of a write up on NWKA! Glad you had your paddle close by!

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
... started to get those "I could die alone out here." kinds of thoughts.
I've had those thoughts a few times in various venues.  It's chilling. 

And, your first salmonoid is at least worthy of a cut&paste from the other site.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Glad you were able to work yourself free C-run. Not going into panic mode and getting your butt back on the kayak and the weight off your feet were good moves.

Portland area fisherman beware of the Sandy River near the delta. During the coming monsoons, underground springs flow into the river and turn some sections of the bank into a gnarly slurry.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Way to keep a cool head in the middle of an "AWWWW S*&@ " moment. Might want to add a small folding shovel to your kit if you continue to fish that area on a regular basis,.

Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
My plan is to pee in my waders before I do that again!