Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 04:59:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Impromptu flyline winder  (Read 3519 times)

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Sunday morning, before I headed out for some lake fly fishing, I had all my gear sitting near the door, including my rods. I had been playing around with one of my 6 wt setups, and had it fully rigged and leaning against the wall.
I had just finished eating my breakfast in front of the computer screen and was walking to the kitchen with a small plate of crumbs when the phone rang. I diverted from my mission to the sink, and answered the phone, and while doing so, I spilled some crumbs on the carpet, about a foot away from my rigged up 6 wt.

Not to worry! That's what vacuum cleaners are for.
So after I finished my call, I got the vacuum (an upright model, with a "beater bar") and proceeded to suck up the crumbs... AND MY FLY LINE!!!! :o ??? :'(

A bit of slack had come off the reel, and there was just enough for the suction to inhale it! >:(

It took about 2.9 seconds (the average time it takes yer typical coneheaded idiot to fumble for a switch) before I stopped that #%$@*&! high-speed line-winder.  It had eaten about 2/3 of my Corltand Clear Camo Intermediate full sinking line. That's one of my favorite lake lines. Dang!

At least I realized that this was my own folly, and refrained from hurling the vacuum out my front door. I suppose that if I'd done that and broke it, and the beater bar still worked, I could make a high speed line winder out of it. ::)

I gingerly pulled my beloved line back out, noticing all the nicks and scuffs on this once perfect line. None of them deep enough (I hope) to weaken it, but enough to make casting it less than pleasant. So I think this will become my spare line, once I get the new one.

After that, the day got better for me. The sun and blue skies were awesome for a drive up the Satsop valley. The trout I found up at the lake (Narwhalsawzall...I can't pronounce it, so I'm not sure of this spelling) were foraging right on the bottom in 12' to 17' of water, so I had to use a faster sinking line (type 3) to get down to them anyway. The fish I caught were sluggish fighters, even the 15"er. I kept that one, an 11.5"er, and a fat 13" (had almost fully developed caviar skeins inside! MMMMM! Yes I sometimes eat roe. I usually fry it, though).

The water surface temp was only 40 F. Bite was very slow. I never saw a single fish rise all day, and there weren't any bugs around. I only saw 3 adult midges all day! I think I saw two empty shucks on the water. That's it.  In three hours of actual fishing, I had only about 10 strikes, 6 hookups, and netted 4. I let the first one go, so as not to anger the fish gods right off the bat. The trout were hungry enough to fall for a #6 brown sparkle bugger fished very slowly near the bottom. When I cleaned them, they had only bottom vegetation and some muck in their stomachs. Couldn't identify any partially digested bugs at all.  Narwhalsawzall Lake isn't very buggy even in the summer, though. For trout fishing, its mainly a "stocker pond," anyway. Has some LM Bass fishing in the summer, and a few panfish. Not my favorite lake, but its open year round and only 62 miles from here. I know places where the trout hang out there, though.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:25:18 AM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
  • Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Ahhh.... yes. Thanks Wali. Now I see where that feeling of deja vu originated.  The faint memory of your pioneering explorations in these matters now gels into a "Why didn't I listen?" ice cream cone to the forehead.
 I need to see if the line can still hold a fish without parting. I'll tie the end to a fence post and give it a light yank. Should be at least 20# test.
At least my fly broke off my 4x tippet, and that saved my rod. so I got lucky.

Man, that sucks.
ConeHeadMuddler