Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 09:16:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Cut your losses before things get too tight  (Read 6256 times)

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

from reading thru everything sounds like there might be an anchor eater in that area. to bad it's also a good sturgeon hole.

It's just a really grabby area with plenty of snags on the bottom.  I think the mushroom idea is a good one for that area.  A mushroom anchor can get hung up just as easily as a pyramid in that spot, but you can rig up a mushroom anchor to break away from the main attachment point similar to how you would do it for a grapnel anchor, allowing you to pull the anchor out from the bottom instead of the top.

Deepcolor brought up a good point when I was chatting with him the last time we were all out there.  If you happen to see a power boater in the area that seems friendly, it couldn't hurt to ask them if they could try and pull your anchor free for you. 

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
effectivley, what everyone has done by losing and sharing, is educate me on the fact that i need to expand my anchor selections, and rethink rigging to enable quick changes.

sorry ya lost that puppy, but thanks for the education in the process.

For sure, I hope it helps some folks.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Hopefully sometime this year I can get my timing right to put together a prototype anchor that I designed a year or so ago that can be rigged pyramid style, or mushroom style with the breakaway attachment feature. Lead free design!

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

from reading thru everything sounds like there might be an anchor eater in that area. to bad it's also a good sturgeon hole.

It's just a really grabby area with plenty of snags on the bottom.  I think the mushroom idea is a good one for that area.  A mushroom anchor can get hung up just as easily as a pyramid in that spot, but you can rig up a mushroom anchor to break away from the main attachment point similar to how you would do it for a grapnel anchor, allowing you to pull the anchor out from the bottom instead of the top.

Deepcolor brought up a good point when I was chatting with him the last time we were all out there.  If you happen to see a power boater in the area that seems friendly, it couldn't hurt to ask them if they could try and pull your anchor free for you.
Those are both great ideas.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Hopefully sometime this year I can get my timing right to put together a prototype anchor that I designed a year or so ago that can be rigged pyramid style, or mushroom style with the breakaway attachment feature. Lead free design!

I was hoping you were thinking about this.  Please let me know when get them made!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

anything