Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:43:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Whats in your tackle box out on the ocean?  (Read 2589 times)

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Alright since we are just a few weeks away I need to get my tackle organized as well.

Obviously we can't bring a lot, at least for me! Im used to having a boat deck to scatter gear around on.

So lets make a list

1 trolling rod and reel
1 Jigging rod and reel.

Net, gaff, Harpoon. Or maybe just net and gaff.

Bait knife, Pliers, boca grips.

Halibut weights, 2 or 3 is probably enough? I don't lose halibut gear too often.

A couple of jigs? Im thinking on silver diamond one and maybe a plastic.

A couple of Hoochie setups with squid.

I want to get one of those no drag flashers. SHould I get one or 2 and what size or color?

Bait, magic thread, scent oil.

WHat else am I missing?

DTS

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Maybe a thumper and stringer.  Cooler bag with Gatorade ice bottles. 
PROGRESS IS JUST BEING THERE!

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Ocean fishing:

1 plano water-tight box with assorted jig heads from 1 to 6oz and grubs from 3 to 8 inches.  the box is like 10/15 and 2.5 to 3 inches deep.

Lip grippers

Plastic Shampoo Stick

MH ugly stick with Cabela's SS 65 on it (rockfish are fun on this and can handle lings up to 30", maybe bigger but dunno yet  :-( )

Heavy Tiger Lite with Penn Fathom LW 65

30lb flouro coated mono for leader

Dive clip, attached, extremely well, with a LOCKING caribiner.  damnit.

(The leader material will change for Halibut, and I'd add a Gaff; however, Butt season is 1+ month away... then again, you're in Alaska, so a gaff is nice to have all the time for you guys)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:44:06 AM by Lee »

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Don't try and do just one set up for all applications.
If you are fishing deep you don't need light jigs. If you are fishing shallow you don't need heavy jigs.
Nets are a PITA and act as sails in heavy winds. I only take one when targeting salmon. I have yet to net a salmon off the yak but have caught plenty of pinks and coho with out a net.
Gaff and lip grippers will cover most of your needs.
Get a stringer of some type. Two game clips are nice to have b/c putting a big fish on a clip with a bunch or rock fish is also a PITA.
I really like the Plano Orange Marine box.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Let's see...

For fishing terminal tackle out of Cook Inlet or Deep Creek this time of year, I carry:
1) 4oz, 6oz, 8oz, 10oz banana Trolling sinkers.
2) Gamakatsu octopus hooks.  4/0, 5/0,6/0
3) 30 and 50 pound flourocarbon.
4) Swivels and duo lock clips
5) Flasher
6) Herring
7) two spoons just in case the bait is bad or I run out.
8) 2 jigs ( I love the shimano butterfly or the Williams speed jigs) with the assist hook set up.

90% of the time, I have put on a 6oz banana sinker two gamakatsu hooks and a flasher and that is all I have ever used for both Halibut and Kings.  Now though I can even scale back the sinkers since I plan to run my downrigger.  I always take a bunch of stuff out, I never use it.  The only time I reach into my tackle box seems to be when I need a new double hook leader because it got frayed on a fish or I'm too lazy to remove a swallowed hook.

Unless you plan to anchor for halibut which I STRONGLY would advise against, you won''t need halibut weights. To maximize your potential, trolling is the way to go in the Inlet since it catches both Halibut and Kings.  If you aren't using a downrigger, you will find its easier to troll with heavier weights (6oz to 10oz) since you have less line out and you will feel more confident that its running closer to the bottom. 

I always carry a net due to the King Salmon get a BIG one. Then its good for the chicken halibut as well.  I don't want to deal with any fish with a gaff that is big enough I can't land in my king net so I skip the gaff and carry my harpoon.

For flashers, I really like the larger size fish flash flashers.  I go fifty fifty between them and the traditional 11 inch flashers.  Color is all over the board. 
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/pr_fish_flash.html

I don't see how they can say there is no drag on these things though.  But definitely less drag than the big traditional flashers.

I carry two rods.  A typical salmon baitcasting rod with a abu 6500 loaded with 20 to 30 pound mono.  I also carry a stiffer shorter jigging stick (Shimano trevala Medium Heavy) with an AVET sx 2 speed loaded with 65 pound spectra.  The lighter salmon rod with mono I plan on using with my downrigger.  The stiffer rod loaded with braid is my main stay while trolling and bottom fishing. 

Pliers, knife, a fish bonker, cell phone with GPS in a ziplock bag, VHF.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
To add to the list already mentioned above:

1. SCOPACE
2. Scissors
3. Waterproof camera(s)
4. Snacks
5. Drinking water
6. A couple shrimp fly/squid rigs

I'm sure there is more, but can't think of them right now.    :-\

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

anything