Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 09:40:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: New Jersey Back Float  (Read 4650 times)

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I just got back from spending the last 6 days on the south Jersey coast for a wedding.  Being the fisherman I am I brought a rod and some gear with the hopes of getting a day or two of kayak fishing in.  My plans were foiled however because most of the kayak rental shops had stopped renting boats for the season.  Determined to fish I talked to Chris at http://www.thekayakfishingstore.com/ and he told me where to go.  He pointed me to a great location where I caught a nice redfish and a ton of bluefish.  I even got my friends into a few fish.  With the water near 70 degrees and nary a wave in sight  I decide to break free from the shore and take kayak fishing back to its most basic form, back float fishing. 
Back float fishing is not for everyone or every condition.  Being right on the water’s surface I could not see very far and was constantly needing to arch my back and kick to keep my head above the water.  If the conditions were just a bit worse, I don’t think I would have been able to last very long out there.  Standing back on the ground after about 20 minutes or so of floating around proved a bit more difficult than expected as I was greeted with a nice light headed/ disorientated feeling that lasted several minutes.  Luckily for me I was only in chest deep water. 

The act of fishing proved a bit tricky as well.  My casting distance was very limited and every cast resulted in my head going underwater.  Once I had a fish on keeping it on was even harder, because floating and hook sets are not conducive to each other.  Yes, I know I probably could have stood up to cast and hook fish, but that would have taken away from the purity of the sport.  After several unsuccessful hook sets I finally got a fish to stick.  I kicked hard and got ready for the fight, without being able to see the fish and only the blue sky to orient myself I had to rely on the constant jeering and directions from my friends to keep me from getting pulled out too deep or into a small rock jetty.  When I finally got the fish near me I ran into another unforeseen problem with back float fishing I had no clue the fish was near me and ended up losing it in the whitewash behind my rapidly kicking feet.

Overall back float fishing was fun, but I think I am going to stick with my kayak for a bit longer.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I heard it is very effective for shark fishing. 

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
That, my friend, is awesome! Redneckery in its purest form. Don't got a boat, don't need a boat. Shoot, I'd bet Michael Phelps ain't never caught nothin even with all his swimmin.

That again is awesome, thanks for sharing. I hope to read this again in a magazine somewhere. And after it becomes the next "purist" phenomenon, I promise to grab at least one random stranger and tell them that I'd met that guy before he was famous and that I read it first on NWKA.
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Red fish, Blue fish, friends got a few fish...thought it was a Dr. Seuss post.

Looks like we're gonna need a bigger PDF!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

NCWflounderer

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
I saw a u-tube video once where a guy was doing this at night catching monster stripers.  Looks like a blast to me, if you can deal with the Prune hands and feet

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
skishing...That's how them Jersey folk refer to it. Looks like fun in those conditions!
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
Million ten dollar thought of the day
Skishing + Camera + Sturgeon = YouTube $$$

..or certain death.
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Million ten dollar thought of the day
Skishing + Camera + Sturgeon = YouTube $$$

..or certain death.

I like your thinking.  If it weren't for all the power boats I would consider giving  it a try. 

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
did you have a pdf on?
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

JamesC

• Lingcod
  • 2012 Hobie Revo 13 - Gray
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
They did that on Off The Hook: Extreme Fishing. Sounded neat but not for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

All fishermen are liars except you and me
(and sometimes I wonder about you).
-Anonymous

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
skishing...That's how them Jersey folk refer to it. Looks like fun in those conditions!

Yep, even a couple web sites for it.  More popular in the Montauk area for stripers.

PFD, Wet suit, SEALED reel. Flippers, HeadLight, Bright orange headwear. absolute minimal gear. Just don't try it in the shipping lanes!
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I keep getting this technique confused with the "New Jersey Front Float" which  I believe involves a large amount of cement and isn't very effective in terms keeping you afloat.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007

Here's a video out of Long Island from someone doing technique.  Looks fun, but I kept thinking he really could use a kayak.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Well ... I guess that is his thing. Seems like the perfect place for a kayak but I guess he wants it to be more challenging. He clearly can afford a kayak just chooses not to.
Sweet reel, but I am still not sold on a 700 dollar spinning reel with no bail.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
That looks like a fun thing to try.  I bet even a medium sized fish would tow ya pretty good.

Man, the bird activity in that video gets my heart thumping!
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

anything