Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:33:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Cooler /Kill Bag from Scratch  (Read 10816 times)

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Zach - Good job. Looking forward to seeing how they work if or when you try it on those pokey rockfish. Since I'm usually one of these guys,
4. With some contrast we have those that have a pretty good idea what they think they are going to achieve, doodle something on paper, hope the materials exist on this planet, go out and build it.  Then look back at the drawing and it looks and works nothing like their original plan and cost 3 times as much, but it works nonetheless.
I may want one also when you're ready to sell.

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Those are really cool and I would also be interested in a pair.

I fished yesterday and my cooler bag that I had did okay but I would like some more room haha ;D. So I got inspired to get back at it this morning. Got all the cuts. Will glue them tonight.

Zach, your Kill bag is looking great.  Well done.

Where did you get those fat chinook?  I know I'm not the only one wondering.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Thank you everyone. After Friday's trip, i would prefer a bag that is a bit longer than the ones i am currently making. Therefore, I will be making another round of these bags so will let others know when i am making them so i can get enough materials for others.  I was unable to work Sunday so i am going to try and hit them hard over the next few days.

2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Thank you everyone. After Friday's trip, i would prefer a bag that is a bit longer than the ones i am currently making. Therefore, I will be making another round of these bags so will let others know when i am making them so i can get enough materials for others.  I was unable to work Sunday so i am going to try and hit them hard over the next few days.

That was an awesome humble brag! (After Friday's trip, I would prefer a bag that is a bit longer than the ones i am currently making.)

There should be a "Humble Brag of the year" competition.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

That was an awesome humble brag! (After Friday's trip, I would prefer a bag that is a bit longer than the ones i am currently making.)

There should be a "Humble Brag of the year" competition.

+1  ;D

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon

Yep the fish have gone to my head lol.  I just underesitmated the glue and am thinking these bags may be shorter than i wanted.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Zach, something I haven't seen you touch on with your bag(s) design.

How are you going to attach the zippers to the bag, sew on or glue on? 
How are you planning to carry these bags full of fish from the kayak to the truck, or truck to the filet table?  I don't see anything mentioned for carry handles? 

On our bags, there is 2" wide webbing that is stitched on, and makes a huge loop that goes all the way under the bag in two places and works really good for supporting the weight of the fish under the bag. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Zach, something I haven't seen you touch on with your bag(s) design.

How are you going to attach the zippers to the bag, sew on or glue on? 
How are you planning to carry these bags full of fish from the kayak to the truck, or truck to the filet table?  I don't see anything mentioned for carry handles? 

On our bags, there is 2" wide webbing that is stitched on, and makes a huge loop that goes all the way under the bag in two places and works really good for supporting the weight of the fish under the bag.

The zipper will need to be sewn on.  I wish i could glue to make it waterproof but the vinyl zippers are $67 for 24". 

To carry the bag i have a few straps from old duffel bags that iw will attach to the 1 inch D-rings.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
How important is it to have waterproof zippers?  I don't believe that the Silver Horde KatchKooler II you've been using has one (if it does, that's a cheaper source of waterproof zippers).  It looks like your kill bags will sit upright with the zipper at the top.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
How important is it to have waterproof zippers?  I don't believe that the Silver Horde KatchKooler II you've been using has one (if it does, that's a cheaper source of waterproof zippers).  It looks like your kill bags will sit upright with the zipper at the top.

It is not totally important.  Driving in my Nissan the Katchkooler II leaked because it would not stand up by itself.  The waterprrof zippers are identical to the ones used on the Kokatat drysuits.  I just thought it would be nice to have it fully waterproof but it is not totally necessary.  My goal was to get them both to sit up right and fit nicely in the tank well.  This would prevent leaking and make it easy to access while on the water.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

It is not totally important.  Driving in my Nissan the Katchkooler II leaked because it would not stand up by itself.  The waterprrof zippers are identical to the ones used on the Kokatat drysuits.  I just thought it would be nice to have it fully waterproof but it is not totally necessary.  My goal was to get them both to sit up right and fit nicely in the tank well.  This would prevent leaking and make it easy to access while on the water.

Water won't be too much of an issue getting into the bag while on the water the way you are gluing the seams.  Other than possible rain, or a Huli I don't see where the trivial amount of water will be an issue. 

If it's about the storage in the car, unless you fill it completely up water and it sloshes around, not much water should get out trough the zipper if you have ice on the bottom.  I know that the seams on my bags are not sealed 100%, so I put my ice in a dry bag on the bottom. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
So I needed to order more glue so I decided to assemble them without glue as I wait for it to come in the mail. It should show up Thursday.

I assembled the bags temporarily to see what hey would look like and I am pleased. Can't wait to see t once all the seems are hidden and it is functional.

I will definitely be freezwrbagging ice pouches or using a drybag to carry ice. On the bottom.

After looking at the 1 inch d rings I am worried they may be a bit small for carrying handles. I think they are good for securing the bag to the kayak but I am going to pick up some 2 inch d rings so I can carry the bag without worrying about tearing the bags.
Thanks for everyone's your help and input. Now trying to figure out how to sew a zipper without showing the threads. Will need to watch YouTube.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:32:05 PM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
You might consider sewing 2" webbing to some of the leftover PVC fabric, and then gluing this to the bag on the sides. I'm thinking maybe 6" high with 2" wide glued areas on either side of the sewn in webbing.

You'll want make a loop out of the webbing for handles, so it would be two 6" x 6" squares on each side of the bag with the webbing sewn down the center of each.

Does that description make sense?

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
You might consider sewing 2" webbing to some of the leftover PVC fabric, and then gluing this to the bag on the sides. I'm thinking maybe 6" high with 2" wide glued areas on either side of the sewn in webbing.

You'll want make a loop out of the webbing for handles, so it would be two 6" x 6" squares on each side of the bag with the webbing sewn down the center of each.

Does that description make sense?

That sounds like a great idea!  Unfortunately i don't have and 6x6 squares of PVC fabric.  I will see what i can piece together tho.  If i cant i will postpone the handles until I can get some more material.  I plan on ordering some over the weekend for some other side projects.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
You can buy remnant pieces of various weights and colors downstairs at Andy & Bax.  They come in small rolls like 4" 6", and I think 8" wide and anything from a foot to four feet or more.  You just have to rummage through their shelf looking for what you need.

You can also buy webbing by the foot, and plastic D rings in a little area just before you head down stairs. 

anything