Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:50:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 05:31:18 AM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Hobie livewell pimpin'  (Read 10258 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I guess I don't know the history of the regulation very well.  How long has it been in effect?  I thought it was a response to the whole Diamond Lake/Thule Chub incident.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
It's been in effect for as long as I can remember. WA has gotten stricter, on the freshwater front, by banning even leeches this year.

Live (local) bait is fine in the Sound. Live herring works spectacularly well, for bottomfish or salmon. Fun to watch the rod tip get excited just before the grab.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Live bait has never been that popular in the NW (no where near the following as SoCal), but it does have pockets of success.  I think in BC it has historically had more of a following than WA, but still not that popular.  Probably because techniques such as mooching a cutplug is deemed as "effective enough" compared to live bait (at least for salmon) and securing a supply of dead bait is more reliable than making live bait.  Heck, even back in the day, most bait shops offered live bait (remember Ballard Bait and Tackle or the live bait outfit at Point D or Edmunds???) and most people still used it for cutplugging.

Also it is easier to control depth with heavier sinkers which tend to kill the action of live bait.  We used to fiddle around with live bait and sliding crescent sinkers, but a cut plug on a fixed crescent sinker seemed to be more productive.  Something about the the "crippled action" the bait took on when cut plugging is more appealing the salmon.  Salmon tend to slash through bait balls then turn around and pick up the dying, crippled bait that resulted from the slashing.

Fresh dead (like Zee is talking about) is way more effective (stays on the hook better) than frozen pre-packaged bait.  But I don't think you need to keep it alive until the time you cutplug it.  Fresh dead from the same day works great.

-Allen

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Live bait has never been that popular in the NW (no where near the following as SoCal), but it does have pockets of success.  I think in BC it has historically had more of a following than WA, but still not that popular. 

Live bait is extremely popular in Hawaii.  One reason is live bait is VERY easy to catch. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
   Point Defiance boathouse has remodelled, they open at 05:30 right now, but they don't have live herring. Their blue label is $4.99 / dozen.  THey sell herring jigs, and the area out in front of the boathouse is usually good jigging.  The jigged herring, whether you fish them live or cut-plug, are much better bait than frozen----shiny scales and nice fresh slimy smelling!!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Madoc

• Lingcod
  • Kayak.Yng
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I picked up a livewell at dealer cost from Next Adventure here in Portland - they had a guy buy one a year ago or so, and had ordered two.  The one that I picked up had been sitting in their shop since.

I'm planning on using it as a live storage for crayfish or crabs that I hope to catch this summer.