Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:07:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:33:39 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Scupper Pro Outfitting  (Read 7199 times)

jself

OK I finally got the camera charger. Here's what I've done to the Scupper Pro so far.

Flush mount rod-holders behind the seat.

Neoprene foam seating, with closed cell foam back support. (The back pillar allows me to rotate more at the hips, for a more efficient forward stroke.)

Valley day hatch between my legs so I can bilge out any water in the hull, and access internal storage.

cross bungee rigging forward of the day hatch for secure stowage of bilge pump.

Scotty rod holder up front.

NRS thigh straps.

Still to come: I'll be attaching an anchor trolly and a cleat soon. I'll be putting in a 3 inch closed cell foam bulkhead behind the front hatch. I'm going to install PVC tubes with screw lids through the bulkhead and into the front hatch, accessible from the space in front of the footwells where the bulkhead will be. Should be good for internal rod storage for surf launches & landings. Before installing the bulkead I plan on cramming six or seven pool noodles up into the gunwale area all the way to the stern.

With the bulkead, dayhatch, and pool noodles, this thing should be bomb proof for surf. The bulkhead will also ad strength to the structure of the boat, so smacking down the backside of a wave shouldn't blow any scuppers. Even if I did, I can bilge and have the noodles.

jself

more pics

jself

more pics

jself

more pics

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Nice.  Is that foam work all you plan to run for a seat?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

jself

Yeah. The seatwell in the Scupper Pro sits low. The shape of the sweatwell gives it plenty of back support.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Looks good!  You're off to a fine start, but what would your fellow SINK purists say about you rigging a tub toy?   ;D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

jself

It wont be a tub toy for long! It will be a sea worthy kayak. It's not the sit in or sit on, it's the platform like nature that doesn't allow edge control (paddling) vs. something with edge control (kayaking) Most sit on tops are like platforms; fine for some, but kind of lame to me.

The Scupper Pro should be one with some edge control with the addition of thigh straps.....Should be fun. I've heard good things about it's performance in the surf. Bummer they aren't going to make them any more.

jself

Forgot to mention another key safety feature: I added reflective perimeter line all the way around the boat. How the heck else will I hang on to this thing when I get bucked?

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Your off to a good start ;D

But, why not just rig your SIK for fishing.  Seems like a well placed rod holder and a system to hold your catch/gear and you would be on the water?  Plus, you wouldn't have to slum it with us and the rest of the tupperware navy ;D ;D

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007

But, why not just rig your SIK for fishing.  Seems like a well placed rod holder and a system to hold your catch/gear and you would be on the water?  Plus, you wouldn't have to slum it with us and the rest of the tupperware navy ;D ;D

Oh, he's already done that.  I think we've guilted Nanook into slumming a bit with us.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

I thought it had something to do with his near huli while fighiting a fish or maybe electronics envy.   ;)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

jself

Truth is, it's a pain in the arse to fish out of my sea kayak. Only reason I do it is because sea kayaks are more fun to boat, less work to move against current, wind, long miles, and are more seaworthy than most SOT's.

I like deck space and more stability that SOTs offer, and it's easy to outfit them. They're better for fishing than a sea kayak, I just prefer them to be more capable at other tasks like surfing and touring....Which is why I'm pimpin the Scupper Pro.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:59:33 PM by NANOOK »

jself

Taking the Scupper Pro to the coast tomorrow for it's first surf/beat down test.....I'm going to give the handline another try too. Will probably be surfing off the jetties somewhere, so will do a little jigging while I'm there. Will post report and pics upon return!

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Bummer they aren't going to make them any more.

Really? When is the end?
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

anything