Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 01:51:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: My new FF battery set up  (Read 3200 times)

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
After I mistreated the last one for 5 years it finally broke it too many places to fix. I never wanted to deal with FF electrical problems again so I went with as bullet proof of a system as I could find. The Kayak Fishing Supplies.com system fit the bill but too spendy for me at $90.

REI had a deal on the Pelican 1120 box w/ foam insert a little while back for $20 so I swapped one up. I added some Sea Dog plugs (from Hook1 $9) to keep it as waterproof as possible and added a new battery ($20 Hook1). Still a little spendy at $50 total but hopefully it's going to last a long time.

Z
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:56:32 AM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
 :o

I've been using the exact same one since '07 and it's still clicking along nicely.  It fits perfectly in the center hatch under the rump.  I have a carabiner-bungee that I use to go around the scupper "posts" on the interior and around the battery box.  I can lift the boat up onto the rack and turn it sideways and the battery doesn't move.  It also is wedged in right in the dead center of the boat for good balance.  On the rare occasion that I bump the power loose, (or forget to keep it clean) I can reach it easily when on board.  It fits a nice 10ah battery too.  Did you get the kit with the battery ready included?

8)
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I just use an old drybag I had lying around and haven't "lost" a battery in the last 6 years.  Roll it up cord and all when sealing.

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
I just use an old drybag I had lying around and haven't "lost" a battery in the last 6 years.  Roll it up cord and all when sealing.

-Allen
That's cuz you're special.  :-* I actually bashed up the battery in transport. I don't know how many times I packed it in the back of the truck and smashed a terminal down.

I didn't buy the kit YM. I'm still pretty cheap.

Z
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:36:31 AM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I just use an old drybag I had lying around and haven't "lost" a battery in the last 6 years.  Roll it up cord and all when sealing.

-Allen
That's cuz you're special.  :-* I actually bashed up the battery in transport. I don't know how many times I packed it in the back of the truck and smashed a terminal down.

I didn't buy the kit YM. I'm still pretty cheap.

Z

Well, at least half special.  I've tried so many variants of the drybag/battery combo and finally just settled on leaving the power cord attached to the battery, et voila, terminals don't get smashed down.  I just run my battery cable under the lip of the front hatch, no holes or anything.  I used to wrap the battery in a towel ... no more, I'm lazy.  For a while I used the battery bare, just set it in the bottom of the kayak.  Never had a problem, but it just didn't feel right.  And I'm pretty sure my drybag has holes in it, no need for a super seal anyways ... it is a SEALED Lead Acid battery after all.

-Allen

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
If you are willing to occupy the rear hatch on a Hobie ...
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
If you are willing to occupy the rear hatch on a Hobie ...
Interesting set up. So you leave the battery in there all the time? Or thread the cables every time? I like to be able to disassemble the yak fast and also don't want anymore weight in it when I pick it up so go with the battery in the box.

Well, at least half special.  I've tried so many variants of the drybag/battery combo and finally just settled on leaving the power cord attached to the battery, et voila, terminals don't get smashed down.  I just run my battery cable under the lip of the front hatch, no holes or anything.  I used to wrap the battery in a towel ... no more, I'm lazy.  For a while I used the battery bare, just set it in the bottom of the kayak.  Never had a problem, but it just didn't feel right.  And I'm pretty sure my drybag has holes in it, no need for a super seal anyways ... it is a SEALED Lead Acid battery after all.

-Allen
I had the bare battery in there w/ nothing and worked fine but like I said, the problems always came when I packed the gear away. So instead of protection from saltwater intrusion etc. the battery needs protection from ME. >:D

Z
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:49:24 AM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Interesting set up. So you leave the battery in there all the time? Or thread the cables every time? I like to be able to disassemble the yak fast and also don't want anymore weight in it when I pick it up so go with the battery in the box.

I leave it in all the time, just like I did with the battery bag hanging in the bow of the T13.  One could splice in a waterproof plug - open the hatch, pop the plug, pull the gear bucket.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I used to make those for those guys so I have one myself since I liked how well thought out the design is. I've used it for about four years now and have never had a problem with it. I suspect you will not be disappointed Zee.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:11:11 PM by yaknitup »

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson