Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:13:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: The Hobie Adventure fish review  (Read 7864 times)

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
After 3+ years riding a Hobie kayak I finally got my hands on the Hobie Adventure fish. It's no new kayak so a review may seem a little strange but there have been some additions to the yak so thought I'd highlight some of those.

The biggest change to the hull is the rear tankwell. It's absolutely massive. I was afraid that my big Plano wouldn't fit back there but it's got a ton of room to spare.

The drive has a few minor changes to it but one major improvement is the flange they've added to the back of it. For those of you who peddle, you know how much wash can come back through there and this flange stops it.

I've always been really impressed w/ the Adventure's lines and I wanted to make it perform to it's best so did a few tweaks to it. First, she's a fast yak but you can squeeze a few more mph's out of it by adding the turbo fins. A really easy addition. I topped it out yesterday @ 7.5 mph's! ;D

While in some rough conditions I've had some trouble w/ the rudder not always being in the water so went for the sailing rudder upgrade. I think I'm probably riding in too rough conditions but it rides great now. I've also heard from another Hobie rider that it works really well during drifts so I'll have to check that too.

And finally, I wanted to put the least amount of holes in this yak and make my FF portable so went with the new Ram mast mount made for Hobie. I also added the adapter to hold the GPS antenna and makes it an easy unit to move from yak to yak.

And finally the seat is now easily removable and has a new shape. It's a bit more minimized and much more cush is added.

Some final pics of the Adventure. Watch out salmon!! >:D
Z

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 04:59:00 PM by Zeelander »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
She sure is purty! 

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Thats a beautiful boat!! is that a molded in handle in front of your plano box?

I put one of those rubber flaps on my Mirage drive, it maks a big difference. Next upgrade is some turbo fins... :headbang:
See ya on the water..
Roy

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Thanks guys. If you're interested, next time I'm in your neighborhood you can give 'er a spin. And CBY, after you get the turbo fins you won't know why you didn't upgrade sooner. ;) Also the Big A does have molded in handles. I'm still out deciding whether I like them or not. One good thing so far is that your fingers never get pinched like some handles will do to you.

Also missed one more new mod Hobie added. They've added a "ripcord" system so that the twist and fold rudder system could be fully raised and lowered. It also anchors it down so it stays put when the big A hits it's highest speeds. You can see them on both sides w/ the red and green ripcords.

Z
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 06:11:23 PM by Zeelander »
2010 Angler Of The Year

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
Hey Z, can you share your techique for getting your sticker to stick on your boat?
See ya on the water..
Roy

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Hey Z, can you share your techique for getting your sticker to stick on your boat?

You've got the Outback so it should stick fine on the smooth areas of the yak. If it's not sticking I'd clean it thoroughly and then give it a once over w/ nail polish remover/acetone and dry it well. It should stick fine after that. Just make sure there's no air bubbles.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"

You've got the Outback so it should stick fine on the smooth areas of the yak. If it's not sticking I'd clean it thoroughly and then give it a once over w/ nail polish remover/acetone and dry it well. It should stick fine after that. Just make sure there's no air bubbles.

Z

Doh, the smooth part!!. That was my mistake i was trying to get one to to stick to the rough part...Not gonna happen
See ya on the water..
Roy

HobieSport

• Herring
  • Let us go fishing together
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
Thanks Z;  That sure is one lean, olive green, fishin' machine!  What a sleek beauty.
Two things are infinite...

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Absolutely filthy obscene strange torpedo! Very cool setup. ;D
ConeHeadMuddler

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Z, where did you get the Ram post mount, please???
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Z, where did you get the Ram post mount, please???

The Good people at Hook1 set me up. A great kayak fishing specific shop w/ incredible customer service. Must check them out. http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
ZEEEE!

Sweet boat! That flange is going on mine tomorrow . And thats the first time I've seen the sailing rudder in direct comparison with the standard. Its huge! Gotta get one! (come to think of it, I did order one from KFS a year or so ago and I'm still waiting for it!?!?!  ::) ) I've also found the turbo fins indispensable (they really ought to be standard). In any event, that's a sweet ride. Hobie's been vetty vetty good to you!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 09:15:37 PM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
ZEEEE!

Sweet boat! That flange is going on mine tomorrow . And thats the first time I've seen the sailing rudder in direct comparison with the standard. Its huge! Gotta get one! (come to think of it, I did order one from KFS a year or so ago and I'm still waiting for it!?!?!  ::) ) I've also found the turbo fins indispensable (they really ought to be standard). In any event, that's a sweet ride. Hobie's been vetty vetty good to you!

Yep the sailing rudder and turbo fins make the big A perform so well in the Sound it's ridiculous! It tracks so perfectly so trolling is a dream. Even with my downrigger out I don't notice any sideways pull. I think the length of the turbo fins and rudder almost cancel out the side pulling drag... if you mount it in the right place that is. ;) Make those 2 upgrades FFTW, you'll be so happy you did.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year