Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 05:25:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Anyone Up For A Float Down The kenai River In July ??????  (Read 5102 times)

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I will be going up to the North Slope for a couple of weeks but should be back on the peninsula around June 3rd (give or take a little). I want to take another float down the Kenai River in my Ultimate 12 and thought I'd throw out this invitation now so others could get their act together.It would probably be best to go on a "drift-boat only Monday" to avoid power boat traffic.I'm sure the guides will be out in force by then.The wife and I fished a few hours from the bank today----no fish caught but saw a couple of rollers that could have been trout or could have been salmon.No positive ID yet.
So,anyway,I'm looking at the 6th of June for a kayak trip down the river.Possibly putting in at Riverquest and drifting down to Eagle Rock or further down to Cunningham Park.If there is some interest post on this forum or PM me and we'll make it happen.
I want to go try down at Whisky Gulch again as well.That was fun and the chance for a larger variety of fish is very real.Gotta love fishing salt water.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:24:53 PM by Mark Collett »
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
The wife and I fished a few hours from the bank today----no fish caught but saw a couple of rollers that could have been trout or could have been salmon.No positive ID yet.

Dang!  I envy you guys.  Must be nice to have trout so big that you have difficulty distinguishing them from salmon.
I really need to take a trip to Alaska one of these days.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
Come on up Spot  You aren't getting any younger are you ? Sometimes you just have to make it happen while you still can........

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.

smithharry907

• Plankton
Hey Mark! I'm in the Soldotna area and have floated most all the Kenai! I'm always down!

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Hey Mark! I'm in the Soldotna area and have floated most all the Kenai! I'm always down!
Hey guys, I'm bringing my family up to the kenai area in the last week of July this year. Is the kenai still closed to PB on Monday's in July? I would love to sneak away for a day if anyone has the time to show a guy around. Could I rent a kayak in the area? Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:30:13 AM by Jammer »
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
I just got back up on the slope a week ago and am not sure when this hitch will end .When it does I'll be back on here and open up the invites. Til then,go get 'em boys ,but save a few for me.........

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
I finally got home last nite (Friday)I'll be home for 3 weeks and it is time to go get some fish.
Gonna check out the Kenai today--then take the drift boat down the Kasilof on Sunday (double King days are Sunday,Tuesday,and Thursday).Will be taking the wife out the 1st few days but she's not too keen on kayaking the Kenai.So that invitation is out there for a float down the lower river.Anyone interested in tagging along ?

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Wish I could, Mark. Haven't fished the Kenai since 1988 and the Kasilof sounds great too. Good luck.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
I just re-checked the regs and I stand corrected--Saturday,Tuesday and Thursday are the days when you are allowed to keep one hatchery kings as well as a king with an intact adipose fin (double days).Sorry about that.
JAMMER    Mondays are drift-boat only days on the Kenai River.Personal boats only on Sundays.

smithharry907---PM me with some contact info and I'd be happy and excite to make a float with you.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
Jammer,
            I come home from working on the north slope July 22nd and will be happy to show you around the Kenai.Your timing should be good for the last week of king salmon fishing and there will be plenty of sockeye around that time frame as well.I don't know if you want to fish from a kayak or not,let's see,I only have 4 right now 2 Native Watercraft Ultimate 12's and 2 fiberglass yaks I made when I lived in  Grays Habor.You'd be welcome to use them at no cost.There is a place,Alaska Canoe and Kayak Rental,that rents canoes and kayaks for about $50 a day.Max is the owners name and he's a real informative guy.http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/  here is a link to his web-site.
             As the time gets closer give me a call/pm and we can make you trip up here memorable.
                                                                                       Mark

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
Jammer,
            I come home from working on the north slope July 22nd and will be happy to show you around the Kenai.Your timing should be good for the last week of king salmon fishing and there will be plenty of sockeye around that time frame as well.I don't know if you want to fish from a kayak or not,let's see,I only have 4 right now 2 Native Watercraft Ultimate 12's and 2 fiberglass yaks I made when I lived in  Grays Habor.You'd be welcome to use them at no cost.There is a place,Alaska Canoe and Kayak Rental,that rents canoes and kayaks for about $50 a day.Max is the owners name and he's a real informative guy.http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/  here is a link to his web-site.
             As the time gets closer give me a call/pm and we can make you trip up here memorable.
                                                                                       Mark

Mark,
Thanks so much for your amazing offer to take me out on the Kenai. I will be in touch very soon. I'm so freaking excited to finally fish that part of Alaska. I will make sure and take lots of pictures for a full report here on NWKA. Your Native's kayak's sound like they'll work great. How do you usually fish the Kenai in late July? Powerboat, Drift boat, kayak?? Eitherway, I'm really looking forward to it.. I also tried to reach out to kardinal_84 and Grumpy with multiple messages, but never heard back from either. That's OK though...it sounds like you've got me covered. Thanks again Mark!
Cheers!

KAYAK FISHING OREGON

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Got your message Mark.  Sorry, will try to call back.

Headed to Kenai this weekend and the next weekend and probably the weekend after that.

Let me know if I can help.  Sounds like we have another fellow kayaker from Nova Scotia headed up this week.   

Jammer, ler me know if I Can help!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
All right-I'm back.It is time to go get em........

Rudy---did you get your new Hobie ?Bring it on down and let's go break it in with some fishes.Maybe that 50 butt you're looking for.You still have my number don't you ?Give me a call

Jammer---you said you'll be hear the last week of  july,right ?There is reported to be a huge slug of sockeye salmon coming into the Kenai River this weekend--your timing will be outstanding.The king run is rather dismal this year,but the sockeye will make up for that.I fish the Kenai many different ways-bank,drift boat,and kayak.I am down to only 3 kayaks right now but again you are welcome to use them anytime.I sold my power boat in May (bummer--it was a nice 19' Klamath) so it's all paddle power for me now.I'll give you your choice of boats or not.Pm me a contact number and we'll make it happen
smith harry907--I still haven't heard from you yet.I'm in the phone book--call me.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:28:11 PM by Mark Collett »

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
All right-I'm back.It is time to go get em........

Jammer---you said you'll be hear the last week of  july,right ?There is reported to be a huge slug of sockeye salmon coming into the Kenai River this weekend--your timing will be outstanding.The king run is rather dismal this year,but the sockeye will make up for that.I fish the Kenai many different ways-bank,drift boat,and kayak.I am down to only 3 kayaks right now but again you are welcome to use them anytime.I sold my power boat in May (bummer--it was a nice 19' Klamath) so it's all paddle power for me now.I'll give you your choice of boats or not.Pm me a contact number and we'll make it happen

Guys......I'm arriving with my family in Anchorage this weekend. I'm really liking the reports from up north, especially K_84's about the reds coming into the river(s)? I'll be staying in Eagle River for the 1st day or 2, but near Kenai by next Monday or so. I hope to see you and Kardinal soon.
cheers

KAYAK FISHING OREGON

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  Sounds great JAMMER,
 I know Rudy wants to try his new Hobie out on the Kenai as well.Mondays being drift-boat only days (as far as fishing from a boat) would be absolutely perfect.Get on down here and we'll make it happen.Should be fun.

Hey Rudy---did you put up any of those sockeye eggs ? Bait under a bobber would be a do-able way to fish them kings and still control a kayak.Whatya think bro ??????????

anything