Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 08:31:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Seward Silver Salmon Derby Aug 13-21  (Read 4033 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I know there are a few folks from Alaska here...well heck even if you aren't this may be relevant!

Any one else considering giving this derbya shot from a Yak? As close as the silvers have been this year, I think I am going to give it a shot .

It's one of the biggest and oldest ones out there.

Anyone else have any interest?

I am going to go test fish it tomorrow (8/7 Sun).  It's going to rain but you got to deal with that come tournament time.  Need to pull out all the stops if I am going to be serious.  Might even be the perfect time to test the night fishing or at least super early morning with lights.

I am thinking fishing the derby one day the first weekend and then both days the final weekend.  lol.  We'll see...who knows how many days...I got tons of leave from work coming to me.  Those silvers can put on a pound a week this time of year I hear.

http://directory.seward.com/events/details/seward-silver-salmon-derby

There's a $50K tagged fish and $10K to the winner!  That'll buy a few more toys!

Hey Jammer, next year time your trip for this derby!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 01:28:36 PM by kardinal_84 »
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
   Boy I'd sure like to make this one.......but I'm up on the North Slope until August 22nd.It's all about timing........and mine isn't too good for this one.Bummer.
   Rudy---it's up to you...and hopefully a few others as well.Good luck out there and go get em... :o
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:08:28 PM by Mark Collett »
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Yo mark!!!  Wish you were here!  We'd slay them. Gonna hit the sack and try to start early.

We'll fish as soon as you get back. Hopefully I'll have it dialed  in!

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I will be down there in Seward with family! I am looking forward to try to catch silvers and halibut in Seward haven't fished seward yet from a kayak! Rudy u already know that stragedy that I will try for halibut. I hope we can catch a few! I might be down in Seward between the 17th or 19th of August and then later on that next week.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I will be down there in Seward with family! I am looking forward to try to catch silvers and halibut in Seward haven't fished seward yet from a kayak! Rudy u already know that stragedy that I will try for halibut. I hope we can catch a few! I might be down in Seward between the 17th or 19th of August and then later on that next week.

Lost a small butt off Millers landing. Tried awhile but got tired of dredging up P cod From 250 ft. Silvers slow. Got 3. Full report later!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Question was raised about needing a witness. No witnesses required so it's on!  Going to shoot for both weekends both days. If I survive a board meeting tomorrow I may take a few days off. If I don't, then I'm fishing everyday!!!!! Lol.
-------
Hi Rudy,
You don’t need a witness, just as someone fishing from shore wouldn’t need a witness.
Maybe those folks were referring to when there was a prize offered for largest fish caught from a kayak.
We don’t have that prize this year, but do offer many others.
Be sure to buy your derby ticket, and good luck!

~Cindy

Cindy Clock
Executive Director

Seward Chamber of Commerce

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Okay.  So here's my plan and an invite to any and all from the area to join up.

So I am definitely fishing the 13th and 14th (SAt & SUN).  I have a B&B booked just outside of Seward's that a friend owns.

I called Miller's Landing and they don't have a water taxi going out till 9;30 to the Fox Island area.  I guess I am the only one showing interest in their 7:30 or so taxi.  they said they need one more at least to run out that far. So I might head out that way.  It goes against initial plans but the current reports are they are out further.  Maybe the South end of Fox Island.  That's a 3 mile trek one way from drop off.  So completely doable and fishing the entire way.  If someone else wants to hook up then i would plan accordingly.

If others want to fish but not take a taxi or I can't make the taxi work, I plan to fish right by Miller's Landing.  The past three weeks I have hit it fairly hard out to Caines Head and the best fishing is right by Miller's Landing.

Would love to try and squeeze some time in with the underwater lights.  Staying darker longer.

Do it again on Sunday but likely will finish at a reasonable hour like 8pm.

I think the B&B still has rooms at $99.
http://www.alaskanodyssey.com/

Definitely fishing my "derby style"...heavy gear, big flashers, big divers when required.  Hook them and haul'em in. In part to maximize the time, and in part to make sure I am not wearing the fish out since I plan to keep only big fish over 27 inches for an upgrade and bleeders.  50 lbs powerpro with 30 lbs fluorocarbon leaders. Run 5/0 and 4/0 gamakatsu Octopus style hooks with a whole herring or cut plug.  Second rod rigged and ready to deploy the instant a fish hits the net or I need to rebait the primary rod.

I know Mark Collett would be in...but he's working.

Anyone else?  Anyone?  Anyone?..........Bueller?  Bueller?

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Go get 'em!

Planning on fishing the two big derbys here again this year here..None of us put a fish on the board last year.
See ya on the water..
Roy

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
   coosbayyakker,
 Do you have any details on some of the derbies going on down your way ? Or how about a link listing statewide derbies going on ?I need to be changing gears for some Wa/Ore fishing.........and would appreciate the info.Thanks
                       Mark
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:52:44 AM by Mark Collett »
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
   coosbayyakker,
 Do you have any details on some of the derbies going on down your way ? Or how about a link listing statewide derbies going on ?I need to be changing gears for some Wa/Ore fishing.........and would appreciate the info.Thanks
                       Mark

Here's a few Matk.
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,6653.msg69545/topicseen.html#new
See ya on the water..
Roy