Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:05:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: bilge pump  (Read 6449 times)

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
ahh yess, gotcha, scary event, deadly in the PNW..
See ya on the water..
Roy

Yakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I fish in a sit-in yak and a bilge pump is a definite part of being able to self-rescue.  I've got bulkheads fore and aft so there's lots of flotation- but a long ride in a
cockpit full of water-- no thanks.   ;)

Rob.
There is a thin line between hobby and insanity.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Rob---I have a SeaSock that I used in my sit-in when in wild water, or when kayaking alone in Clayoquot Sound.  Would give it to you cheap, if you want. It keeps water outta the cockpit in the event of a spill, or a roll.
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Yakker

• Lingcod
Rob---I have a SeaSock that I used in my sit-in when in wild water, or when kayaking alone in Clayoquot Sound.  Would give it to you cheap, if you want. It keeps water outta the cockpit in the event of a spill, or a roll.

Kali,  thanks much for the offer--just a question- on tackle availability while fishing using a sock.  I just need to be able to get to fishing gear.  If those can work together- you've got a deal. 
PM with details.

Rob.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
for the rest of you:

Here is what I know of sea socks... all from a non-sock user.

They are difficult to find... not impossible, but they take some searching
The main purpose is to keep water out of the kayak
Most people seem to prefer float bags in SOFs and water tight bulkheads in strippers and S&Gs.
There is some concern about doing a reenter and roll with a sock in.
There is some concern about getting caught in the sock, especially if there is a hole in the hull.
In the one story I read about a sock being used during a failed roll/swim, the sock came loose from the cockpit and the kayak flooded anyway.
That is an opening gambit on the topic. I hope some users of socks now pop out of the woodwork to defend and better explain.

John from PygmyBoats? likes sea socks. He stuffs a foam bulkead in the foot of the sock to keep in in and off his legs.

Thomas has a feathercraft folding boat (who manufacture and sell sea socks) and wouldn't go out without it on. Works in conjunction with additional flotation to prevent boat from swamping. On a downside, it takes me a bit of fiddling to get comfy and have had a foot get stuck when getting sucked out of the boat by surf. Socks with neopprene rims grip tighter than the all nylon kind.

SOME INFO ON USE IN HARD SHELL KAYAKS

Sea socks come as standard equipment with some folding kayaks. Some people may think that this is only because folding kayaks, by the nature of their construction, do not have [Bulkhead]s. But sea socks can also increase safety in hard shell kayaks that have bulkheads. Because kayak manufacturers like to have each of their models fit as many people as possible, they often built their boats with the bulkheads very far towards the front and back of the kayak. This can leave a large cockpit area to fill with water if the paddler has to [wet exit].

A large flooded cockpit can make a {Rescue]much more difficult, whether is it is an assisted rescue or a self-rescue. Many kayakers practise their self-rescues in conditions that are unrealistic in two important ways: The water is calm and their boat is unloaded. It makes sense to begin learning rescues in such easy conditions. But the actual conditions in which you are likely to capsize may be much more difficult. The water is likely to be rough. And your kayak may be loaded if you are touring (kayak camping).

The rough water can slosh any water in the cockpit from side to side (since unpaddled kayaks tend to quickly turn parallel to the waves). This sloshing makes the boat very unstable and likely to capsize again. It takes only an inch or two of water to have a very unbalancing effect, even in waves only a foot or two high. The sea sock can help with this, not only by reducing the amount of water in the cockpit, but also by limiting the room that the water has to slosh back and forth.

Kayaks loaded for touring will float much lower in the water after capsize and righting than the same boat unloaded will. This leaves the cockpit opening much nearer the surface of the sea and more vulnerable to constant refilling by waves as you try to pump it out. (This can be a particular problem in double sea kayaks, which tend to have very large volume cockpits.) By reducing the amount of water in the cockpit, a sea sock helps with these problems in two ways: the righted boat will float higher, and it will be faster to pump out.

Where to buy:
http://www.trails.com/gear/p/trak/sea-sock/

Yakker

• Lingcod
Sent a PM earlier. 
Had heard of seasocks but never any good info on their usefulness although it does seem logical.
Rob.

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
Don't need a bilge pump for an Ultimate 12.  Any water entering the inside of the boat collects in the bottom of the pontoons where it is quickly and easily scooped out with a 1 quart plastic milk jug that has the top cut off. This home-made scoop fits the insides of the pontoons nearly perfectly and I can move a few of gallons of water in about a minute if I have to. I carry two such scoops with me, one readily at hand, and the other as a spare (with a sponge stuffed in it).

I think this is quicker and better than a bilge pump would be, for this particular hull. And it didn't cost me anything!

It usually has to be raining, or else taking on windblown spray and splashing from heavy chop to get any water inside of my hull. I think the worst usual contributor is from droplets falling off my paddle....takes a few hours to accumulate enough to scoop.
 I don't take it out on the Ocean, so I'm not worried about waves swamping me. I don't usually let myself be found in situations where there is big wind chop. I "plan to avoid" misadventures.

I can't even get my U-12 to capsize when I'm sitting down. I could fall out if I were standing up, though. Climbing back in would bring some water into the boat.

I'm sure that with an SOT, a bilge pump would be the preferred and maybe the necessary method for getting water back to where it should be, due to the internal chambers and hatches. I'll probably get one when I get my SOT.
I don't even have a bilge pump for my 16' john boat, but I'm thinking of getting an electric one for "just in case."  I'm still using a milk jug, although I can just pull the drain plug and hit the throttle to "self bail" most of any water out.

ConeHeadMuddler