Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 02:30:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Magic seaweed alternatives.  (Read 2105 times)

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Been many moons since I've had a chance on the big water. Surfline is the new magicseaweed now? How accurate is it? Any good apps or web suff out now? Pushing 6 years since I've been out on the ocean and will be staying in waldport wed-sun. Was planning on running out of depoe if the stars align.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
You're opening a PTSD-inducing can of worms.....https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=24024.0. Some like Surfline, some don't. Looks like the forecast is going to be great after Wednesday, although might be foggy.

On a side note, if you're looking for restaurant recommendations in the area be sure to check out Luna Sea. 
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
You're opening a PTSD-inducing can of worms.....https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=24024.0. Some like Surfline, some don't. Looks like the forecast is going to be great after Wednesday, although might be foggy.

On a side note, if you're looking for restaurant recommendations in the area be sure to check out Luna Sea. 

Thank you. Been stuck inland for to long.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
The standard NOAA spot forecast, and Stormsurf are my go-to sites nowadays: http://www.stormsurf.com/locals/pacnws.shtml

On Stormsurf, they have a spot forecast for Cape Foulweather, which is just south of Depoe Bay. I haven't been steered wrong by Stormsurf, and I've used it for years. Right now, Friday through the weekend is looking outstanding.
aMayesing Bros.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Now if we could just get the salmon to crawl a bit closer!!  Looks like a must go weekend in any case.
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Clayman

• Salmon
Now if we could just get the salmon to crawl a bit closer!!  Looks like a must go weekend in any case.
Yeah no kidding. All these reports of fish out at 280-300' are depressing. I'll hold out hope that it turns around for late July, but the hatchery/wild ratio already seems pretty bad this year, and it'll only get worse as we get into August. I'll give it an honest effort on Saturday, but will have bottomfish gear on hand as the back-up plan. The last two years spoiled me, as I'd only bring out salmon gear most days and never regretted not bringing bottomfish stuff.

One positive with this year's coho is the average size seems pretty good. Fewer 3-4 pounders, more 6-8 pounders.
aMayesing Bros.

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
For those doing a salmon/rockfish combo, if you have salmon on board then your rockfish hooks must be barbless, right?
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Clayman

• Salmon
For those doing a salmon/rockfish combo, if you have salmon on board then your rockfish hooks must be barbless, right?
Correct. If you have salmon onboard, you can only fish by salmon rules the rest of the time (no more than two single point, barbless hooks).
aMayesing Bros.

bernie3674

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2022
I always use windy.com, and compare ECWMF and GFS side by side, and check the weather day before and right before I leave. From my experience that GFS is more accurate for US West. So far Saturday seems a go for PC according to GFS forecast.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Correct. If you have salmon onboard, you can only fish by salmon rules the rest of the time (no more than two single point, barbless hooks).
Can you have barbed hooks on board but just can't use them? What if you get skunked on salmon?
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
You can have barbed hooks on board, but the lure you’re using has to be barbless.

Clayman

• Salmon
Can you have barbed hooks on board but just can't use them? What if you get skunked on salmon?
Yeah, you can have whatever gear you like on board. The restrictions only come into play on whatever bait or lure you're actively fishing with. If you skunk on salmon, you have "free reign" to fish with whatever you like depending on whatever you're targeting.
aMayesing Bros.

Asully503

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I’m a rule follower 99.9% of the time but I will never follow this rule. Barbs for rockfish, always. Pretty obvious which rod is my barbless salmon trolling rod and which is my rockfish rod. Come and get me OSP.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Seriously?  Why not 100-percent of the time?  99.99-percent of the forum members support the rules, but I guess every crowd a member who's more entitled than everyone else.

SHEESH.

I’m a rule follower 99.9% of the time but I will never follow this rule. Barbs for rockfish, always. Pretty obvious which rod is my barbless salmon trolling rod and which is my rockfish rod. Come and get me OSP.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Asully503

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
You’re allowed to use barbs for rockfish and I always run barbless for salmon in the ocean. In the extremely rare occurrence OSP checks me I’ll gladly tell them the truth and pay the fine if need be, I don’t think it’s being entitled at all. I have an obvious salmon trolling rod with the barbs pinched and have an obvious rockfish jigging rod. If they don’t believe I caught them the correct way then I guess they can make that determination and write me a ticket.

anything