Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:40:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Dry suit?  (Read 5147 times)

jhr3

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Question for the group. Went after bass in a kayak in the Midwest in college and have done some kayak fishing in Long Island Sound in the Northeast. However, most fishing was done late spring, summer, and early fall in warmer waters. I'm new to kayak fishing in Puget Sound. Might be a really novice question but is a dry suit necessary when fishing 200 to 300 yards offshore in Puget Sound in the summer? I've noticed the water is a tad colder here. My boat is fairly stable (Trident 15’) but that isn’t to say I won’t end up in the drink once or twice. I'm noticing that in most posted photos that anglers are wearing dry suits.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
When I was younger and even up till a few years ago, we would camp at Dosewallips State Park along the Hood Canal.  I would go snorkel in the sound in Quilcene Bay near the shellfish laboratory, while my family would crab and fish off the dock.  Sure the water was cold, but I stayed out there for hours.  It was a blast looking down at all the critters, and I would dive down 15-20 feet to grab crab, and the occasional moon snail.  I was only wearing swim trunks, fins, goggles, and lots of sunblock.  I would imagine you would be fine in the summer. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

jhr3

• Herring
I appreciate the feedback!

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
While I understand INSAYN's comments I just can't let it go. I've got to be the nagging mod. Don't get out there w/o your PFD and dress for immersion. Things always have a chance of getting ugly so preparation gives you the best chance of coming out of it ok. Having said that I've peeled down my drysuit on warmer days but it's like riding your motorcycle w/o a helmet. Your risks are significantly increased. If you understand the risks involved then fair enough.

I hope this makes sense.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

jhr3

• Herring
Thanks Z.  Totally makes sense.  Just trying to gather information at this point.  Will definitely be prepared.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
The less expensive waders + dry top is an option as well.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Mean Joe

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Sure the water was cold, but I stayed out there for hours.

I used to do this growing up in northern Michigan as well. The problem is once you exit the water with wet clothes or water on your skin, any wind would create a significant cooling effect to the body. Like this...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:47:14 AM by Mean Joe »

• I fish out of a SIK
  • blah...
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Not condoning paddling without dressing for immersion, BUT if you do, I'd strongly suggest a taking a dry bag with a towel and a change of clothes (wool socks, sweats, sweatshirt,ect). 

I agree with Mean Joe, once you exit the water wet and the air/wind start to hit you is when your body starts loosing heat rapidly..

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Sure the water was cold, but I stayed out there for hours.

I used to do this growing up in northern Michigan as well. The problem is once you exit the water with wet clothes or water on your skin, any wind would create a significant cooling effect to the body. Like this...

Yup!  Pete and the twins were looking for shelter!  ;D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
Remember too, the air over the water is much cooler than the air over land.  On one of those 90+F days a couple of weeks back I was off Richmond Beach in a full dry suit with heavy REI poly long sleeves and pants under.  I was out for about 6 hours and perfectly comfortable.  It was not until I landed on the beach that I realized just how hot it was.  I thought it was a rather cool day while fishing.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Water temp in Quartermaster Harbor yesterday was 56 degrees F at the surface.
Dress for immersion!!!!!!!!!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

jself

Two years ago two guys died a half mile from shore in Port Townsend when one fell in wearing jeans and a t-shirt and couldn't get back on the SOT. The other guy whent for help, and by the time they returned the guy in the drink was dead from exposure and hypothermia. That was July, and you can get hypothermia in 70 degree water or less.

Is it going to happen to you? Probably not, but I also don't plan on getting in a car wreck everytime I put on my seat belt. Hopping in and swimming for 5 minutes is one thing, but if you find yourself seperated from your boat, or having to spend 15 minutes or more in the water, you will wish you had on that dry suit!

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Hopping in and swimming for 5 minutes is one thing, but if you find yourself seperated from your boat, or having to spend 15 minutes or more in the water, you will wish you had on that dry suit!

Now I just need to save the bank!!! I'll be buying one as soon as the finance dept authorizes it.
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
Two years ago two guys died a half mile from shore in Port Townsend when one fell in wearing jeans and a t-shirt and couldn't get back on the SOT. The other guy went for help, and by the time they returned the guy in the drink was dead from exposure and hypothermia. That was July, and you can get hypothermia in 70 degree water or less.

Is it going to happen to you? Probably not, but I also don't plan on getting in a car wreck everytime I put on my seat belt. Hopping in and swimming for 5 minutes is one thing, but if you find yourself seperated from your boat, or having to spend 15 minutes or more in the water, you will wish you had on that dry suit!

Not to be morbid, but what happened to the other dead guy?
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

jself

Just one guy died....meant to say two guys went out, one came back (alive)