Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 01:06:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:15:18 PM]

[Today at 09:33:15 AM]

by DBam
[May 06, 2024, 10:23:23 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: 2022 Newport / Yaquina herring thread  (Read 6572 times)

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I'm going Sunday.
Not bringing crab traps based on my luck last time and the rain we've had/are going to have.
A poster on Ifish said they were in thick today, but that's internet too.
See you there.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
where are you going to launch at what time. True on the massive fresh water in the bay. May drop a pot or two just for grins

I am in a Old Town AP 120 Blue/Black. Grey F150

Aka Bob
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

WetNet

• Perch
  • ...or where the fish are
  • Date Registered: Jun 2021
8 am sounds good
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 06:14:53 PM by WetNet »
Sometimes bad things happen to good fish.

2021 Old Town Big Water

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Thanks. May be closer to nine, picking up my son in Lebanon. You won’t be hard to find :)

Your strapping for the WS cart got me thinking. Love to show you my version. This will be the first go. Beach wheels I assume?
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

WetNet

• Perch
Look forward to it, now I just need to figure out my chilling/storing procedure.

2021 Old Town Big Water

Larry_MayII_HR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Reading through this thread has been fun, and I might see y'all out there if anyone is planning to fish Saturday. 

A question - are there herring in all the bays up and down the coast, or is this a purely Yaquina Bay run? It would seem odd to me that Yaquina would be the only run, and I don't think one bay in Oregon could sustain all of the spawning needed to supply the ocean with herring, but I haven't heard of anyone talking about other bays. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

--Steve

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I'm fairly new to Oregon, so am not an expert by any means, but I know I saw big balls of them off Depoe bay last year. They might have been making their way to Newport...
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
It's likely that most of the Oregon bays host some kind of herring spawn. I've heard of it happening in Florence/Siuslaw River some years. But those runs don't seem to be as large or as consistent as the ones in Yaquina Bay, Crescent City, San Francisco, etc. Juvenile herring require certain growing conditions in the first few months of their lives, and places like Yaquina Bay seem to have the right ingredients to consistently produce juvenile herring. There was a time where commercials were allowed to seine spawner herring from Yaquina Bay, and when that was happening, the runs plummeted for several years.

I don't know if herring have high site fidelity, but tagging studies show that herring of the same school tend to stick together for their entire lives. That would indicate to me that they do have high site fidelity, with the adults returning to spawn where they were born.
aMayesing Bros.

Asully503

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Not an expert by any means but they use to return in pretty decent numbers to Winchester Bay but from what I have heard is that the run isn't as substantial or as consistent as it used to be. When I was a kid like 12-14ish years old (I'm 32 now) we used to jig for them off the crabbing docks and did pretty well in the harbors but I haven't seen people doing that for a long time, maybe I'm not down there at the right times. My grandpa was guiding down there during that time and he would use the herring we caught as bait.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 10:47:00 AM by Asully503 »

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Look forward to it, now I just need to figure out my chilling/storing procedure.
I like to add a box of rock salt to the ice in my catch bag. It turns into a very cold slurry and salt really helps to keep the herring firm when being used for bait. Sometimes I’ll add a little table salt during the packaging process also, because soft bait sucks.

WetNet

• Perch
Ohh brine slurry! Maybe feed them dye and scent 😄
I just meant I have to figure out where to put the slurry bucket and cooler et al.

2021 Old Town Big Water

Casey

• Salmon
Ohh brine slurry! Maybe feed them dye and scent 😄
I just meant I have to figure out where to put the slurry bucket and cooler et al.
Just trying to help. I’ve seen plenty of people harvest them without chilling well enough or salting them and end up with soft bait

WetNet

• Perch
I'm sorry, and thanks for the help.
I wasn't making fun of you I was making fun of me.
I'm a bit of a smartalic and it doesn't come across in text. I'm at that age that I've forgotten more than I remember but we jigged herring when I was a kid and when I tell people about doing it they always look at you funny and ask "do you eat them?" and I always tell them
"no, they magically turn into salmon and lingcod and halibut" Then they REALLY look at you funny. 😁

2021 Old Town Big Water

Casey

• Salmon
All good. Hope you guys whack them. I would head over on Sunday too, but I am running out of freezer space

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Weather was great most of the day.

Got on the water about 10, and had quite a slow start, with only one herring in the boat for the first hour or so.

The bite picked up considerably, as the day went on. Not an overwhelming amount of boats, and close to half were kayaks. Everyone was pretty friendly and accomodating.

Thanks to BeerRun for letting me borrow a sabiki, after I busted off half of the only one I brought, early on.

Thanks to WetNet for the use of his wheels when I landed. Version 2.0 of my homemade beach wheels failed pretty bad launching.

I ended the day with 50 herring, (about 10 of which were big guys), and three lil rock crabs in my single trap.

It wasn't an amazing day, but was fun and productive enough to be worth while. I enjoyed everyone's company, and hope to see y'all out on the water again soon!

A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"