Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 09:56:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:33:15 AM]

[Today at 02:15:11 AM]

by DBam
[May 06, 2024, 10:23:23 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: 2022 Willamette/Columbia Spring Chinook Reports  (Read 8430 times)

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Well got out there on Friday.  Lots of boats under the bridge but no nets flying, after 2 pass I went to turkey flats and did 2 passes there nothing there either went down towards Ross Island bridge and about halfway there this baby hits my gear. I could be more happy. Finally my first springer on the kayak.  After 3 years of trying I could be more happy. Gutted and filled this hen was 14.7lbs and 36inches long. Such an epic battle.  I dunno how you guys net these beast with gear as long as your rods. I pretty much had to wait til the fish was belly up before I could pull him into the net.  Happy fishing all!!
Nice fish! Consider trying a longer rod, it should help with netting

I use a 9’11” 15-30 rod…. Thought it was long enough…. Might have to get a 10’6

I would recommend going way shorter than 10 feet. I run a 7' 6" rod and my secondary is an 8' something.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
Agree on the shorter rods. I went from a 10'6' Okuma to a pair of 7'6" Shimano Trevalas and have much better luck.
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Oldhammer

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
Have a morning meeting in Portland on April 7th.  Planning on taking the rest of the day off to give this fishery a shot for the first time.  If anyone with experience is around and is interested in showing me the ropes, I would be most thankful.

WetNet

• Perch
  • ...or where the fish are
  • Date Registered: Jun 2021
Got some exercise for a few hours this afternoon, marked a few, no hit no runs no errors.
Sometimes bad things happen to good fish.

2021 Old Town Big Water

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I was thinking of trolling the Willamette for salmon on Sat....
Anyone else wanna join?
Maybe Cathedral or Sellwood, am open to other ideas.
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

• Date Registered: Jul 2019
I'm still out, but the arm is getting better. Good luck out there.

BigFishy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
I was thinking of trolling the Willamette for salmon on Sat....
Anyone else wanna join?
Maybe Cathedral or Sellwood, am open to other ideas.

I might try Sellwood in the evening. My wife works night shift tonight so I will have to watch kids in the morning while she gets her nap. This will be just testing the waters; I've never fished Willamete before.
2021 Hobie Outback

SD2OR

• Salmon
There's not much to it. Try to find n fish the shelves, keep your line at a 45 degree angle.
If ya get a bite, just keep peddling till the fish starts taking line.
Good luck, have fun!
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022

BigFishy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
There's not much to it. Try to find n fish the shelves, keep your line at a 45 degree angle.
If ya get a bite, just keep peddling till the fish starts taking line.
Good luck, have fun!

I have a Delta diver which I was planning to use or do I need to use a cannon ball? If so, what size for that current?
2021 Hobie Outback

SD2OR

• Salmon
I have yet to experiment with divers myself, it is something I have been meaning to do.
I have no doubt they are just as effective when used properly.
If using cannonballs, usually 10-12 oz.
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
WAY back in the day, the first few springers I caught were all at Sellwood with an old school Jet Diver. Just put it 30' ish back and seemed to work. Only use lead now and all over the place on weight depending on where I am fishing. I just feel I can control where the bait is easier. I use less at Sellwood where the depth changes a good bit and heavier where I am fishing suspended or the depth is very consistent. Usually 12oz. Considering the # of fish on the deck so far this year, take this for what it is worth :)
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Been seeing reports for a few days now on a FB group indicating there's been a fairly good catch at the mouth of the channel, where it hits the big C, and the lower channel. Cut herring plugs seem to be working.

Looks like Scapose Bay Marine Park has a $5 boat launch fee, which might be the easiest access.

Also seems there's numerous other (presumed paid) launches up and down the channel--St. Helen's Marina; Gilbert Boat Ramp; Coon Island Marina; Chapman Landing Park; Multnomah Channel Yacht Club; McCuddy's Marina; Hadley's Landing; Sauvie Island Boat Ramp; etc.

Haven't fished that section myself. Anyone care to share some pointers?

builderbri

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2021
I got out on the lower river today . I launched from Puget Island and fished by Whites island . There were lots of boats but I never see any other kayaks there. I wanted to start on the incoming tide, but I was a little early so it was a slow grind upstream to where I wanted to fish.When I got to where I wanted to concentrate I put a fresh herring behind my triangle flasher. There was still  a predominant flow down stream so I pushed on slowly.About five minutes in I get bit. It did not  put up large fight at first but when I got it to the Kayak I realized "I need a bigger net" and the fight was on.It took some time and a number of runs but I finally netted it.I could not tip the net like one would do if you had a proper net.So I had to pick it up flat and it bent my net. I haven't caught a great deal of salmon in my life and this was definitely the largest most beautiful salmon I have ever caught. To my dismay I had one too many fins. I did not get a picture as I wanted to release it before any sea lions showed up. I spent the next three hours trolling in the area with no luck. I saw only one boat catch a fish.They were able to put it in the boat. It was great to catch my first Springer.

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Congrats on the first springer!

Asully503

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Not a kayak report but a report nonetheless, got out on my buddies boat Saturday we fished from Davis to just above Willow bar, took two passes and saw 2-3 boated. Ran up to I5 and did probably 5-6 long passes and saw a handful more caught. Nothing for us, 4 rods running mainly herring and 1 herring/spinfish rod behind triangles. Sunday I decided to go plunking with a couple buddies, beach was pretty slow. Fish checker had 4 fish for probably 60+ rods. Saw the boats get 5-6 right out in front of us about twice the distance I could cast. Should have taken the kayak out and ditched my bankie buddies (dangit!). Still a great weekend to get out and go fishing with friends. 

Edit: Checker at Cathedral Park on Saturday had 2 fish for 20 boats. Not sure if those were willy fish or Columbia. There were quite a few boats fishing at the HOC.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 09:58:13 AM by Asully503 »