Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 06:51:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:42:39 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Legality of using hydraulic pumps for harvesting clams in WA?  (Read 1152 times)

Fiver

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
A couple years ago here in CA, DFW banned the use of hydraulic pumps to harvest clams.  The hand operated pumps mimic (on a smaller scale) how commercial clam divers used pressurized water to liquefy the sand around the clam for easy extraction. 

I will be visiting the area next week, and was wondering if they are allowed in WA?  The area I frequent for butter clams often has gapers mixed in, but due to the rocky substrate, they are quite difficult to get out.  I wanted to try using a pump, but seeing if anyone definitively knows whether they are allowed or not.  I searched the regulations, and didn't find any specific exclusions, but regulations always seem to have gotchas built in.
Enlightened Soul

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
One of the statements in the regs, specifically for geoduck, is this:

"Geoduck cylinder max diameter is 24" and must be non-mechanized and hand-operated."

Additionally, all of the references to harvest use the word "dug".  I harvested clams in Puget Sound from 1980 to 2005 and never saw anyone use anything but a rake, shovel or clam gun.  Perhaps it is just inferred that no mechanical "assistance" is allowed.  Even sand shrimp harvest involves manual pumps. I would suspect that if a game warden sees you using a hydraulic pump you will have a visit.

I'm still curious though about the methods.  You're right,  I don't remember ever seeing a specific statement that says harvest must be manual effort.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Fiver

• Krill
I did see that statement for geoduck.  It specifically is referencing the cylinder, so not sure that a pump applies (I do see videos of people using clam guns inside the tubes to remove the sand). Also. though I would love to try for them, I don't know anywhere in the area to find them.

The pump is hand operated (think oversized bicycle pump), but I just want to make sure I am on the legal side before attempting to use it to harvest.
Enlightened Soul

alpalmer

• Salmon
well, if you are interested in kayaking in to a place for clamming,  I used to do very well at Wyckoff Shoal which is down by McNeill Island.  I would launch at Fox Island.   This shoal only "dries" at a minus tide but the butter clams were excellent and there are gapers there.  I would also wade for crab in the shallows.

My method for gaper harvest is to cut out the bottom of a five-gallon bucket and push it down the hole as I use a clam gun to remove material from inside the bucket.  It works quite well.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 05:28:59 PM by alpalmer »
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
--Edward Abbey--

Fiver

• Krill
Thanks for the info.  I bring my two boys, so that may be a bit too much of a paddle for them until they are a few years older. Are there geoducks in that area?  I would love to try and catch them one of these days!
Enlightened Soul

alpalmer

• Salmon
there were geoducks on Wyckoff but I never went after them.  I always preferred the butter clams.

If you don't want to paddle from Fox Island,  try launching at Penrose Point State Park,  a shorter paddle but a longer drive down the Key peninsula.  You'll also have to pay a day use fee.

If you continue on south past Longbranch to 72nd St SW, turn left, head east to the shore, there is a free boat ramp there.
--Edward Abbey--

Fiver

• Krill
Looks like the paddle distance from Penrose is the same, just not having to cross the inlet to get to the shoal.  It does sound like a fun adventure, just might not be one for this year.  Thanks again for the info!
Enlightened Soul

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I'm a big fan of calling or emailing WDFW when I have a question about the regs -- if the operator doesn't know the answer to your question, they'll hook you up with someone who does.

Also makes a lot more sense (to me) than getting regs from internet yahoos.

Fiver

• Krill
I did try calling....they aren't big fans of answering the phone apparently.  I plan on submitting an email in to them, was just seeing if anyone had any firsthand knowledge on the subject here first.
Enlightened Soul

Fiver

• Krill
For those interested, I was able to reach DFW.  According to the person I talked to at the main office, pumps are not allowed.. only hand, rake, shovel.  Interestingly, he said that a clam gun is also illegal to use for taking any type of clam except for razor clams.
Enlightened Soul

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I did try calling....they aren't big fans of answering the phone apparently.

Weird, I've never had any issues getting a hold of them. And I've hit them up a number of times.

Anyways, glad you got it sorted out, and thanks for passing that info along. Have fun up here next week :)

Fiver

• Krill
Thanks, I look forward to our northward migration every year  :)
Enlightened Soul

alpalmer

• Salmon
For those interested, I was able to reach DFW.  According to the person I talked to at the main office, pumps are not allowed.. only hand, rake, shovel.  Interestingly, he said that a clam gun is also illegal to use for taking any type of clam except for razor clams.

Thanks for looking into that.   Perhaps DFW needs to update the regulations so that the information is clear and available to everyone.
--Edward Abbey--

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

Thanks for looking into that.   Perhaps DFW needs to update the regulations so that the information is clear and available to everyone.

Pp. 136-137 seem pretty clear to me.

https://www.eregulations.com/assets/docs/guides/22WAFW.pdf

anything