Forum > British Columbia Kayak Fishing

Sooke fishing report

(1/1)

tsquared:
This year has been an epic salmon year for yak fishing in the Sooke area on Vancouver Island. We were not allowed to keep Chinook salmon until August 1st but this month has been stellar since the opening. Changes in regulation this year have opened up 2 of my favourite spots, Otter Point and Muir Creek, that were closed the previous year. The tack at Otter starts immediately off the launch spot, in fact I caught a nice coho within 30 feet of the beach while checking the roll on my bait. A couple of kilometres further west on Highway 14 is Muir Creek, with a parking lot beside the launch spot into the creek. 300 metres down the creek brings you to the salt and the salmon tack is less than a kilometre off shore. There are some halibut spots there too. Here are some pics of some teenage chinooks caught in the last couple of weeks at Otter. Coho have started to push in so the next 2 months should see some nice light tackle action on those.
Cheers!
T2

Yak fisher:
Nice fish and report too!
You using anchovies ?

tsquared:
Yes. I did try rolling some whole 5” herring but didn’t get anything but wild coho. AP herring spoons, the little 3 inch ones, worked well earlier in the month too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version