Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 05:20:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Friendly Cove Trips, Vancouver Island  (Read 6926 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Moutcha has put together some trips to Friendly Cove.  Currently set for the following dates:

• July 8-12
  • July 23 - August 28
  • August 5-10

Although Jim has said perhaps he can accommodate July 29 - August 3 as those dates work into my schedule better.  If we can swing this and there is enough interest, I'm inclined to go for these dates.

Anyone interested in any of these trips?  See attached.  This is the area that Danglin pulled his now (in)famous salmon from.  See the pic in the attached.  The salmon will be staging in the outer waters around Friendly Cove before they push up to Moutcha, with opportunities for lings and butts as well.

-Allen
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:53:51 PM by polepole »

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Argghh! You're killing me!  >:D

Oh well, some day/year.  :'( Maybe when Janni is old enough for a good suit; then we can give Mom a break.  ::)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
It looks like we're getting close to having a trip on the July 29 - August 3rd dates.  Just awaiting confirmation from Moutcha Jim as this wasn't on his regularly scheduled program.  It looks like Fishin-T is "in", and snag-a-but is a "likely".  Sean, let us know.  There are a couple guys from NCKA that have also expressed interest.  If you're thinking about doing this trip.  Even if you are just slightly interested at his point, let me know so we can try to hold a spot for you if possible.  I think once we get a date nailed, we'll close on this somewhat quickly.

-Allen

Snapperjim

• Krill
  • Watch out for bald eagles!
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Hey Guys, it's been a while since I have looked at the NWK site,   :-[ I like the way Pole Pole has broken down the regions. 8)

I may be able to swing a trip to Moucha Bay, if at the end of July, early August, and possibly bunk one or two bodies down closer to Victoria, if any one needs.

I'm also prepared later during the summer/ fall to suggest other get togethers on Vancouver Island. There should be an event going on near Port Renfrew, perhaps in July or August as well. when I get more details, I will let you know.

I had a fun 7 weeks in Thailand, in January & February,  I even caught a squid!  ::) The waters were very choppy, whilst I was in a area suitable for Kayaking, so did not get much "yaking" in this time.  :(

Cheers, Snapperjim

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Hey Jim, good to hear from you.  Nice to hear you've enjoyed your winter in Thailand.  Any pics?

Now ... does anyone know where VictoriaPaddler is?  I miss that guy's enthusiasm.

-Allen

FishHuntMike

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007

I will be hitting Port Hardy the second week in August.  Should be good for Kings, Coho, Pinks, Lings, and maybe an ocassional Hali.  This will be my 5th trip to Port Hardy, but the first in the kayak.

Since the rockfish limit is zero on the inside of Vancouver island, it sort of bums me out though.

Snapperjim

• Krill
  • Watch out for bald eagles!
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Victoriapaddler, is still alive & kicking!  ;D he just has a ball & chain tied to him, (a wife!)  :-* I'll email him & tell him he's been missed :D

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
This trip is a go.  The dates are July 29 to August 3.  Right now it is myself, Fishing-T, snag-a-but, one of Fishin-T's friends, and a writer for Kayak Angler magazine.  Yup, there might be a story published about this adventure.  We have room for one more person as of now.

The plan is that we have a cabin that will sleep 3 and a tent spot next to the cabin for another 3.  I think T, his friend, and snag are staying in the tent so the open spot is in the cabin.  The cost is ~$275 for the cabin spot, which I would have to say is pretty reasonable for a 6 day adventure of this type.  Here's an overhead shot of the place.  The cabin we got is the #6, the one on the beach at the far left.

Friendly Cove is run by the Mowachaht/Muchalaht First Nation.  More information here ... http://www.yuquot.ca/yuquot.html

Anyone want to join?  Let me know as if I don't get any takers here in the next few days, I'll be seeing if any of the NCKA guys want to make the trip.

-Allen

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Guys (and gals)!

We still have a spot free for this trip.  Come on ... someone has got to figure out how to hit this trip.  This is one of the premier chinook fisheries on the west coast of Vancouver Island and we're hitting it at the peak.  20-25 pound cookie cutter kings.  And a real deal of a price.  Anyone?  Anyone?

-Allen

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
Calling all salmon anglers!

We've got one or even maybe two spots of six total available still.  Here's your chance to go out there with the guy who's potentially the next world record holder for largest fish ever caught from a kayak, that being Polepole himself: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=411.0

We have rides that can be shared from as far from Nootka sound as Seattle, we've got loaner kayaks to spare for any out of towners or anybody else for that matter.  No trouble at all to round up some gear for you if that's the issue.

The price from Moutcha Bay is only about $200 for a tent camp slot or under $300 for a berth in the cabin.  That's for 5 nights total, you bring your own eats (except for fish).  You can buy a 3-day fishing permit for Canada saltwater along with your annual Canada salmon stamp for just about $25 US, then you can buy another 3 day to go with that stamp again for another $19 US.  It's going to be VERY tough to beat this fishing opportunity for this little an amount of cash.

Forget what your friends have been telling you about getting that passport... you can still DRIVE to Canada with just a certified birth certificate.

Get ahold of Polepole or myself for more details, and let's get you onboard this one!

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
All,

Hey, did I mention that I was going to go up to Yuquot and check out the village?  I've got two things that you'll DEFinately need to know about that place.  One is for you to be sure to bring out all of your best mussel (sp?) recipes.  They are there, untouched, and in unlimited quantities.  We'll have to check if the band cares whether or not we pluck a few, but I've NEVER seen so many harvest sized mussels in one spot in my life!  The other thing is to bring a backpack or good wheels for anything that you don't want to leave over by the dock.  It's close to a mile over to the cabins, but it's by way of a good gravel trail.

This wasn't even the season and there were already about 6 sport fishing boats straight out from camp.  The only boats inside the sound itself were just a very few guys trolling.  Saw one with a fish on too.  Saw a small pod of greys straight to the south from the docks, about two or three miles from the cove.  There's going to be plenty of room for a 10' X 10' tent at the top of the beach, just below the cabin.  That spot might get MIGHTY hot if it's sunny ever.  I forgot to look around and see if there was an appropriate spot in the trees.  I'm not sure we're going to be able to round up a full contingent of 6 any way.  So far I haven't heard from my friend who was supposed to tell me tonight.  That's probably a bad sign knowing him.

Each cabin has a wood burning stove and there's pretty much an unlimited supply of drift wood within 50 yds of the cabin.  It all kind of collected in this rock crevice right there.  Saw shoal upon shoal of herring getting chased to the surface by what would almost have to be salmon.  I can't even tell you how excited I am about the potential that this place has for giant, nasty, overlooked ling cods.  Hey, before I forget... there was a sign there that said that they will sell ice.  I didn't see physical evidence or get to talk to anybody, but it WILL be the heighth of the salmon season so it stands to reason.  Also we can buy probably ALL the block ice we'll need right in Gold River at the Super Valu store, last thing before we get to Moucha Bay.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 09:13:58 PM by Fishin-T »

snag-a-but

• Herring
eeeeh haaaa!!

You guys sound PUMPED  8) I'm getting excited as well... It's a part of Van Island that I haven't seen yet but HAVE heard a lot about and can't wait to get out there.

I was lucky enough to get over to Gabriola Island (east Van Island) this past weekend to finally get the yak tuned up. It HAS been a long wait this year  >:( A friend has a cottage over there and we all managed to get out for a quick paddle  :P First time for me this year and MAN did it feel great. The fish finder is TWEAKED, rudder and EVERYTHING seems fine for FRIENDLY COVE.

Didn't get skunked either, caught lots of real small stuff but just one small keeper Ling and a Rock Cod. I LOST  a slightly larger Ling  :-[  When he broke the surface I knew he was a keeper and I paused for a split second and he "spit it out" Dropped the Crab trap too, with some VERY tasty cat food as bait but NO LUCK  :(  I'm certian that Friendly cove has some nice "DUNGEES" awaiting for us. Sure hope so !!!

"T" those mussels are freakin tasty too....My recipe is boiling water or steam, I eat them all the time and just had some the other day, there not INEXPENSIVE anymore, cant wait for that treat.

oh btw, Polepole...what is a COOKIE CUTTER KING  :) ???

Later,
Snag
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:17:06 PM by snag-a-but »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
oh btw, Polepole...what is a COOKIE CUTTER KING  :) ???

Cookie cutter means that the majority of fish are in the same size bracket like they've been stamped out in a cookie cutter.  I've been hearing 20-25#.  To me that means that anything smaller we release or keep for the dinner table.  Anything in that size range or larger goes in the cooler to bring home.  We'll see what happens when we're up there.

-Allen

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
Polepole,

That's the size range alright.  Last year at Moutcha Bay Kayak Derby, about 80% of the fish caught were in exactly that range.  This year Moutcha Jim says that the Canadian dept. of Fisheries is predicting that they'll run even bigger.

And then like I said before, I can only imagine the size and numbers of the ling cod that are far and away overlooked in that area.

Fishin-T