Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 04:07:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:42:39 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Sombrio revisited  (Read 3637 times)

snag-a-but

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Just thought to mention that july7th - 16th is our annual Sombrio fishing/camping trip and all are welcome. Camp fee is $5 canadian per night.

The Kings/Springs should be a little thicker than they have been this past couple of weeks and there's always those Lings and things.

I'll have my yak there, my friend Harry who some of you met on the last trip will have his canoe, Victoria paddler and that Scupper pro may be able to make an appearance and our "home page poster boy" Fishin-T has penciled a couple days on this one as well I believe.

Come on over to Vancouver Island and maybe time a night in Victoria after some yakfishin at Sombrio beach.

Cheers,
Sean

snag-a-but

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Well folks, it was another great annual get together at Sombrio beach. Our usual gathering of friends and always a few new ones every year.

Victoria Paddler joined myself and two friends on the initial venture up and many more followed.

The fishing was great but not as easy pickins as in years past. Not because they were less fish there but we just seemed to lose a ton of lures. I cant ever remember snaging bottom as often as this trip. Ever since I changed my name to snag-a-but...I must have jinxed myself  :-\

Harry the "quater back" of this trip caught a nice 10lb ling cod but it turned out to be the only keeper other than all the black bass we caught. He picked up a Greenling and just kept it on the line for about 5 minutes and that's when the ling struck. He figured that it was a ling and was very careful bringing it in as not to lose it but it turned out that the ling had the whole greenling in it's mouth and was also hooked as well.

Fishin T and his brother showed up in the pouring rain on wednesday and stayed till fri morning. He and I were both trying to target "Lingzilla" and just couldn't seem to locate that illusive sucker. Tom caught a nice greenling and rerigged it (part one) but part two didn't happen  :-\   JUST WARMING UP FOR NEAH BAY" It was a little slow going but the weather turned for the better on thursday. "T" and I entertained the thought of heading back towards the Halibut grounds but I think the thought of the wind picking up held us back Thanks "T" for making the trip. I understand what it takes to get here. I sure hope your brother enjoyed himself.

The fishing fleet was now down to Harry's canoe and my yak so Harry fished the front just off the beach where we were losing all our lures and I decided to make my way to where Allen and crew had all that success in April about 1.5 mile west and 1/2 mile offshore and sure enough, finally something other than black bass but only some very very small lings and coppers and then boom...you guessed it, more Black bass. Three nice keepers. I couldn't get the lure past 20ft without a strike.

The highlite of the trip was definately the pair of eagles that were flying and taking our black bass carcases that we deposited not 30ft away at the shore line.

I'm sure we've all seen footage and pix of eagles but here it is anyway.

• Date Registered: May 2006
Nice report Snag!  I guess after my LingZila/Moby Dick snag my lure, it swam away leaving you guys with small fish to play with....heheheh.  No worries, I'll be back next year, count on it.  Maybe sometime in Aug. I'm going to come back and try it again...who knows.

VP

anything