Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 12:43:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:19:09 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Ouch  (Read 4227 times)

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I bought two drift socks last year and have yet to use them. I assumed they'd be needed to anchor up for Chinook since the PB Guide I went with and all the other hog liners were using them.

After I built my BSteves anchor system per Pelagic Paddler's guidance I didn't see the need for drift socks while anchoring up in the Columbia or Willamette. Since I've got a pretty wide yak (10 feet wide with the amas out, 4 feet wide with them in) not sure if or when they'll be useful. Haven't drift fished other than the Sandy for Steelhead and didn't use anchor or sock for that.

Anyone have any suggestions on using drift socks?
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I bought two drift socks last year and have yet to use them. I assumed they'd be needed to anchor up for Chinook since the PB Guide I went with and all the other hog liners were using them.

After I built my BSteves anchor system per Pelagic Paddler's guidance I didn't see the need for drift socks while anchoring up in the Columbia or Willamette. Since I've got a pretty wide yak (10 feet wide with the amas out, 4 feet wide with them in) not sure if or when they'll be useful. Haven't drift fished other than the Sandy for Steelhead and didn't use anchor or sock for that.

They can be used to slow your drift when it is windy by adding drag to the kayak and help keep you pointed the way you want.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:14:33 PM by craig »

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
  • So....Let the break up begin!!!!!
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I bought the Lowrance Elite 4 DSI for my OK Prowler....For the price of 179.00 i thought that would be awesome for some structure fishing and it goes with the down imaging to over 200ft. Not a bad deal and i will post a review of it with the thru hull when i recieve it
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Well contributed to the economy some more today! Got my fish finder. I bought a Lowrance Elite 4x, so its the sonar only model. I just couldn't justify the GPS. I have two handheld GPS that work great and Ill just use those. One I have is one of the original garmins that came out 10 or more years ago. So not a big deal if that drops overboard.

Then of course I got my Folbe rod holder.

Spooled up my reel with some expensive braid. Not sure what it is, but it was 38 bucks for 200 yards of it.  I was hoping they would get 300 on there though.

Then the score of the day was a scotty 1050 down rigger with the pedestal base for 80 bucks!!! New too. Just missing the handle. Lucked into that one big time. Just the base is 88 dollars at B&J's. And for any one in alaska looking there is a guy in sterling that has two of them with the standard bases for 80 bucks on craigslist.

And I bought a safety whistle to be coast guard compliant :police:

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Did you notice the weights of the pancake downrigger weights at B&j?. I've only found one place that has 8 pounders on line. The rest were 10 and 12 minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

jstonick

I often use my drift sock when sturgeon fishing, especially when there is some wind. It definitely keeps my Outback (which has higher sides than a Revo) much stiller in the current. I think this helps me to "pamper" any light biters and in the end catch more fish. Also, when bass fishing and slowly moving relative to the current and casting I like to let it out to help control my speed. I think it provides better boat control. Pro tip: Don't pedal a mile back while forgetting it is still out unless you want to worry about whether you are having a problem with your mirage drive the whole way back :)

Flyin Portagee

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011

I often use my drift sock when sturgeon fishing, especially when there is some wind. It definitely keeps my Outback (which has higher sides than a Revo) much stiller in the current. I think this helps me to "pamper" any light biters and in the end catch more fish. Also, when bass fishing and slowly moving relative to the current and casting I like to let it out to help control my speed. I think it provides better boat control. Pro tip: Don't pedal a mile back while forgetting it is still out unless you want to worry about whether you are having a problem with your mirage drive the whole way back :)
+1. In addition, I like one for out in the salt when vertical jigging while windy, you get blown off structure a lot less, and if you deploy it on the correct side, it helps keep you pointed in the direction that's most comfy for you to fish from